Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All

Krystle
Sign in to follow this  

Hello All,

I am Krystle and I was sleeved on 8/25 by Dr. Shrikanth at the evergreen hospital in kirkland. I haven't really talked to anyone else from Washington on here. Everything is going great and I have as of today lost a total of 21 lbs. I am excited to meet new people from the same area.

hello there! i'm jennifer and i live in gold bar. i was sleeved 720/11 by dr. landerholm in edmonds. i've lost a total of 33 pounds but only lost 5 lbs last month- doing really well calorie-wise but frustrated with my progress...:huh:

Hello All,

I am Krystle and I was sleeved on 8/25 by Dr. Shrikanth at the evergreen hospital in kirkland. I haven't really talked to anyone else from Washington on here. Everything is going great and I have as of today lost a total of 21 lbs. I am excited to meet new people from the same area.

Hi, I'm Beth, and I was sleeved by Dr. Chebli at Evergreen Hospital 6/29/11. Nice to meet you both!

I just found this group/link, kinda by accident while browsing thru the website. Hello to everyone in WA. Thought for a while I was the only one in the state that was looking to do weight loss surgery.

I was notified by Swedish Hospital that Medicare had given their initial approval for funding my surgery. The only thing is, I want the Gastric Sleeve and they haven't yet approved this method. Thinking of going with the Lap-Band. Not sold at all on the "Y" surgery as it seems to be the most invasive.

I need some hints (help). Swedish says that Medicare wants information as to attempts at previous weight loss diets/procedures, etc. Even though I've attempted many, I don't have records and dates completely fail me.

In the meanwhile, I've contacted my Primary Care Physician and asked her for a letter of referral.

I would really appreciate any hints or ideas as to how to document prior diets.

Thanks.

Hi Sdb1147,

I am just starting my serious journey on the insurance topic also.

I went to the seminar at the Swedish and I was kind of disappointed with them as they relyed back that I did not elect to have WLS in my insurance package. Then I heard another person tell me they were told the same thing. Confusing as no one ask me one way or the other when I bought my coverage.

I am not yet, so sure, that they pay for the sleeve either as it hasn't yet been FDA approved where as the band has.

So I am where you are except I am dealing with Regence.

It is my understanding that medicare writes the rules and the insurance companys follow suit. Medicare has a web site is is: www.medicare.gov and there office in Seattle phone # is: 1-206-615-2313 or 1-800-633-4227. Maybe they will tell you what to do.

There has to be many people out there in Washington that maybe could help us with this issue. So please experiance sleevers help us through the horrible insurance maze with information. :wub:

Any information regarding the truth of the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much. We will be looking forward to your rely.

Sincerely,

Reaching for the Stars

Hi Sdb1147,

I am just starting my serious journey on the insurance topic also.

I went to the seminar at the Swedish and I was kind of disappointed with them as they relyed back that I did not elect to have WLS in my insurance package. Then I heard another person tell me they were told the same thing. Confusing as no one ask me one way or the other when I bought my coverage.

I am not yet, so sure, that they pay for the sleeve either as it hasn't yet been FDA approved where as the band has.

So I am where you are except I am dealing with Regence.

It is my understanding that medicare writes the rules and the insurance companys follow suit. Medicare has a web site is is: www.medicare.gov and there office in Seattle phone # is: 1-206-615-2313 or 1-800-633-4227. Maybe they will tell you what to do.

There has to be many people out there in Washington that maybe could help us with this issue. So please experiance sleevers help us through the horrible insurance maze with information. :wub:

Any information regarding the truth of the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much. We will be looking forward to your rely.

Sincerely,

Reaching for the Stars

Thank you so much 'Reaching for the Stars' for your feedback & information. I just posted a reply to Cherry bomb who indicated Medicare paid for her vertical sleeve surgery. I think she's in Florida, but I could be wrong. In any event, why does Medicare approve sleeve surgery in one state, but not another? Makes no sense at all.

The last thing I read was that Medicare was to make a ruling on the procedure by the end of March-2012. So, I'm holding my breath, but in the meantime, I'm dong all the preliminary stuff.

The journey continues...

5/3/2012

Hi Again sdb1147,

Yes, it is confusing.

I heard of a person from washington traveling to another state as medicare would pay for their band if they went to another state! Truely confusing.

Sincerely,

Reaching for the stars

5/3/2012

Hi Again sdb1147,

Yes, it is confusing.

I heard of a person from washington traveling to another state as medicare would pay for their band if they went to another state! Truely confusing.

Sincerely,

Reaching for the stars

I might consider having the procedure done out-of-state, but I'm hoping to have mine done at Swedish in Seattle. Primary care doctor just faxed her referral letter today, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Hi Washington Sleevers,

I am wondering if there is anyone in our state that has been able to get their insurance to pay for there surgery. Whether its been Regence, United or what have you.

Or is it that the Doctors don't want to use the insurance as they can make more money if you pay on your own.

I am not making a judgement call I just want the truth of the matter. It easier to deal with the truth and theres not so much of: wasting our time also. We all are busy too!

What WLS Center seems to be the most popular in or state?

Seems that center would be the best place to go.

Thank you, Searching

Hi Washington Sleevers,

I am wondering if there is anyone in our state that has been able to get their insurance to pay for there surgery. Whether its been Regence, United or what have you.

Or is it that the Doctors don't want to use the insurance as they can make more money if you pay on your own.

I am not making a judgement call I just want the truth of the matter. It easier to deal with the truth and theres not so much of: wasting our time also. We all are busy too!

What WLS Center seems to be the most popular in or state?

Seems that center would be the best place to go.

Thank you, Searching

I've been researching hospitals/doctors that will do sleeve surgery, & there are many out there. The problem (in my case) is that Medicare will NOT pay for it.

Medicare (here in WA) only supports/pays for Lap-Band & the "Y" surgery, but not the sleeve.

Last I heard/read, Medicare was supposed to have made a decision by March 30, 2012. My initial meeting/consultation with Dr. McMahon @ Swedish is on the 17th. I'll find out more then & will pass the information I get.

The thing I don't understand is why has Medicare paid for sleeve surgery in other states, but not WA, unless they're paying for their own.

Sorry, I didn't read your previous post. If in fact Medicare will pay for VSL in another state, I'd like to know where. I might make plans accordingly. I have relatives that live in Oregon & Florida.

05/13/20012

Happy Mothers Day to All,

I would like Washington people to let me know, (If you would please), if anyone was able to get their insurance to pay for their WLS whether it be a sleeve, band, or other.

I have went to two seminars now and I have been told the same story that WLS is not included in my plan yet my broker tells me differant.

What is the truth?

Has anybodies insurance such as Regence, Blue Cross, United, and/or ect payed for WLS?

Or is it the surgeons that don't want to put up with the insurance companies?

Any information that you would share would be so much appreciated.

I am getting discussed with the run around. I bet thats why people leave our state. No insurance pay out and the surgeries are cheaper elsewhere.

Searching

I really doubt it's the surgeons that don't want to take your insurance. It's not unusual, though, for it to be excluded from a plan. My employer had a complete exclusion - I had to self-pay. Most of my surgeon's patience had it covered by insurance, though.

If your insurance broker is telling you it's covered, I'd request a formal letter confirming that, then you can provide that to the surgeons' office staff.

Good luck!

Thank you escape pod. I am calling my insurance broker today and requesting the letter. She sent me a print out from the insurance company siting the rules from my policy to qualify for the band or the other surgerys but I will try for more from her.

Also my daughter in law reminded me there are many bariatric surgeons so just keep trying until I find one that will help.

Sincerely,

Searching