Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All

Krystle
Sign in to follow this  

Dear Escape Pod,

I wanted to ask you what insurance companys seem to be paying for WLS.

Thank you

Searching

Hello everyone! Not luck with my insurance. WLS is an express exclusion (regardless of co-morbidities) and they even refused to pay for a primary care visit because I discussed weight loss at an office visit. Really? Yes, sadly...really.

I am self paying and after seeing two doctors in the US, decided to go with the most experienced revision (I am a lap band to VSG) surgeon I could find, Dr. Aceves.

05/20/2012

Dear Syvlia Mom,

What is an express exclusion?

That is crazy about your insurances response: You could not discuss WLS with your primary Doc. You would think sometimes the primary Doctor would send one to the Bariatric surgeons. Haven't people posted they needed a record of there weight loss history for the insurance company?

I can see why you went to Mexico for your surgery.

I am reseaching that route myself although I would like the comforts of home and not have to travel far after a surgery.

But all this round and round stuff is so exhausting we just want too get well.

We know enough to not put faith in our insurance companies but we do need faith in our Doctors.

Bariatric surgery of any type is a big decision and life style change. Something not to be taken lightly.

Thank you for your input and time. All information is so helpful.

Searching

Hello WA Sleevers! I realize it's been months since the last post here.....how is everyone doing? My Insurance, Regence Blue Shield (Non-traditional plan) would not pay for Bariatric Surgery in 2010. I was a self-pay LapBander. My husband changed our Regence to the Traditional Plan, & they have now paid for the removal of my Band & have approved LapSleeve surgery. I'm very excited. The Band caused more problems for me than it was worth. I don't have a surgery date yet as I'm waiting for my cpap test results which will be next week. My doc makes you go through a Pulmonary doc before having the sleeve. Hope everyone is doing well & has had good luck! :)

Hi, All -

My insurance will pay for WLS, but they require 6 months of medically supervised diet before they'll approve, as well as the usual requirements about BMI, weight, co-morbidities, and so on. I'm two months into the diet visits with the dietician at my surgeon's clinic. Cross your fingers for me that they won't put any roadblocks in my way.

I feel rather foolish about waiting so long to do this, as now I'll have to pay more out of pocket for the surgery than if I had been able to squeeze it in this year due to insurance changes.

Ah, well. In the end, it will be worth it, regardless.