Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else sweat a *lot*?

I hate being sweaty. All I have to do is think about going outside and I start to perspire. It's not my underams, my hands, or my feet, just my face. It makes me feel dirty and gross and horribly embarrassed. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there are ways to deal with it. Mostly, I'm wondering if this is just because of my weight and will go away once I've lost it.

anyone?

I have exactly the same problem. I only sweat bad from my face and head. Therefore, I always look like someone poured a bucket of Water over my head. I can't stand even the slightest humidity. I was on a patch for my blood pressure for awhile and one of the best side affects was that it kept away hot flashes and that awful sweating. But unfortunately, my body adjusted to the patch and then I began getting sore spots wherever I was wearing the patch. My doctor prescribes it for hot flashes as well in women that are even borderline hypertensive. I can't even remember the name of it right now, sorry. But that was the only thing that helped me and now it's gone. I have sweat running down my face right now just sitting here typing this.

I also had this problem. One of the side effects of one particular medecine I was on was partly to blame. The other thing was (and this is just me self-diagnosing) I feel I was having mild anxiety attacks....especially when it came to being forced into certain social situations I would have preferred to avoid. My face would sweat insanely (not the rest of me) which would embarass me which would make me then worry about it which would cause more anxiety and more sweat....you can see the viscious circle!

My medecine was changed and that helped somewhat. I don't get as many (or as intense) anxiety attacks anymore....so that has also helped a lot. The reason being I'm avoiding the situations that did it in a better way. I know avoidance isn't the answer...but hey....one thing at a time!!!

I do that too! And, my face becomes bright red like a tomatoe. It is rather embarassing.

Are you on any antidepressants?? Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, etc. cause excessive sweating in many people. It is a documented side effect.

A lady I met once told me she takes a medicine usually prescribed for a spastic bladder (ditropan, I think) and it helped tremendously. I keep meaning to ask my PCP about it but I always forget when I go in.

I hate it!! Mine is just my head too... It sucks!!

...Mostly, I'm wondering if this is just because of my weight and will go away once I've lost it.

anyone?

Sleepy, I wasn't much of a sweat-prone person before LapBanding, even at my highest weight.

But after surgery? I started sweating like nobody's business.

It was at it's peak for those first 3-5 months (right where you are as a Post Op) and I was really upset about it. Why was I sweating now, when I didn't before surgery when I was heavier?:)

Well, it was because I was in a state of ketosis. In other words, as my body burned it's own fat (something it was loathe to do, apparently) it secreted some of the excess through my underarms. :)

I was so shocked and embarrassed because I never had sweatiness and underarm odor like that in my life. Also my breath was in question, for those first few months. The same reason - ketosis - meant I was secreting that burned fat through the mouth. (I know yuck.) I just doubled up on Altoids and brushed FREQUENTLY. :paranoid

Anyway, my body eventually calmed down and things went pretty much back to normal.

So this might actually be a good sign! :clap2:

I spent 10 years working for The Pampered Chef. During those 10 yrs. I was at my highest weight. I use to sweat like a dog when I was heavy!! For those who have been to a Pampered Chef show, you know that the consultant cooks the food in front of you. Here I was, sweating like a pig, & cooking the food they were going to eat. I kept a cloth next to me & wiped my face off every 30 seconds. I was so emberassed!!! :cry I noticed many times that people were making remarks behind my back. I once overheard a lady say - "Gee, this lady is good, but I ain't gonna touch that food because I'm sure there's some drops of sweat in it." I went home & cried.

One of the best things about losing weight is that I no longer drip sweat from my face. It's a whole new world for me!!!!! :D

By the way, I no longer sell Pampered Chef so you don't have to worry about me trying to swindle you into buying some kitchen tools! ROFL!!!!!!!!!! :):):):)

I will join the sweaty club too. I do hair and it is not the most attractive thing, when u are doing hair and sweat is dripping off your face. The back of my hair gets soaked and it is so uncomfortable. I have had this problem before I was banded, and I still have this problem. I hope as I drop weight this stops a bit. It just doesn't look right when you are doing hair and you look like a wet cat.

I sweat too! I've always been warm natured but it's even worse now with all the extra "insulation". I notice it takes me longer to cool down and less time to warm up when I start moving. At work I often put my hair up just because if I don't the hair at the back of my neck is just dripping wet - it's just plain gross. Then I've got these other ladies that are freezing all the time - makes me sick!

Sweating is definitely one thing that I hope improves after I've dropped some weight! I try to pawn it off to a "hot flash" but I'm on hormones and don't have hot flashes - my co-workers seem to buy it but they're probably just being nice.