Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have the Grouchies

After a wonderful family dinner last night at Cheesecake Factory, where I ate anything and everything I wanted for the very last time, I went to bed happy and joyful, and woke up with the Grouchies.

I think the closer my September 12th surgery date gets, the more reality and questions start to creep in. I read on here how commonplace the feelings are, but I just cannot help it. I worry about having food issues, being in pain, being tired, regret, and the forbidden thought of NOT losing weight. I see people who after three months have only lost 20 pounds and that scares the crap out of me. This is a whole lot of work to "only" lose 20 pounds!

I keep questioning whether I could "get real" about weight loss and do this on my own, albeit very slowly. I lost the 20 pounds they required to get scheduled with surgery, so why can't I just continue on that path?

My bestie had RNY a year ago next week and says she has "buyer's remorse" almost every single day. There are no foods she enjoys anymore, she can only eat during certain hours of the day, and she is EXHAUSTED all the time. I have three kids under nine, including a 16 month old, and I work full time in a very stressful law firm. I can't really "afford" to be tired all the time. On the other hand, I also know I cant "afford" to die of a heart attack either.

Although she has lost 93 pounds and looks amazing, her sense of regret sticks with me and I can't seem to shake it. I have even avoided seeing and talking to her in the last month because I am trying to focus on ME and MY decision for the first time in my life.

I don't know what to think anymore, but I do know that I don't want to be scared any longer and I don't want to be grouchy! Maybe it's just because today is the first day of my pre-ope diet? Who knows.

At 8 weeks post-op, my energy has skyrocketed and my only regret is not doing this sooner. I'm 43 with 2 teenage sons. I don't ache when I get out of bed in the morning, I sleep like I did pre-child days, I have a sense of purpose in my step.

I think you need to remember that a 'bypass" is FAR more complicated; both surgerywise AND side affects. With a sleeve, I can eat whatever I want (choice wise) with virtually no side-effects. I take Vitamin supplements...but that's it. In another month or so, I hope to basically "forget" that I have had "surgery" and just eat like a thin person.

As for the grouchies...it's true that hormones can park and hide in fat cells and you are now messing with their little habitats! :-) Good luck to you.

The difference with the sleeve is when you are all healed and back on full foods you can technically eat anything you want. Just in smaller portions. If I want pizza I have a slice and I am satisfied. I do not want to have any major carbs till I am in maintenence so I will avoid these foods till I get there.

You really do need to make sure this is what you want. Once its done there is no turning back. Hope you can find the answer as only you can make this decision.

I have to say I do not have buyers remorse as Yes I could have lost some of the weight on my own. The problem has always been keeping it off after losing it. I enjoy eating food and only having a small portion of it.

I have only been sleeved for 16 days now and already I can tell you this is the best thing I could have done for myself. I feel amazing. I too was worried (and still am at times) that this won't work for me. I am starting to get past that feeling since I have already lost 23lbs since the day of surgery. Of course this takes work... and will power. I would be lying if I said I don't "miss" food. I am not hungry but old habits are hard to break. I can say that I have stayed away from anything I am not supposed to have. I want so badly to succeed and of course I don't want any complications! So 2 weeks out from surgery I have tons of energy. I have a 5 and 8 yr old so I too was worried about being tired. I have a new confidence that I haven't had in years. YEARS! And I am only 23lbs down. I can't wait to know how I am going to feel at 40lbs down... and 60lbs down. I can fit into clothes that I haven't been able to wear in longer than I can remember. People are noticing my weightloss and I get compliments and encouragement from so many people... and no one except my husband knows I had the sleeve done so it is super fun for everyone to be noticing this change. I am not sore. Haven't been on pain meds since day 4. I even went to the batting cage with my son the other night and hit balls... and here I am still feeling great. You have to decide if you want this change bad enough... and I believe you do. It is an amazing feeling to be proud of accomplishing such a great change. You owe it to yourself and your family to be healthy and be there for them :) You have already done really well losing 22lbs! I did not have a pre op diet to follow and I lost nothing before my surgery. You are already doing great! Good luck to you!

I had the grouches when on the pre-op liquid diet for sure. Not as much post-op. I am 3 1/2 months post op and have no energy problems, feel great, and I have had no intolerances with any food at all. I can eat anything just way smaller portions and I feel just as satisfied as if I had eaten a lot more. The RNY is so different because of malabsorption. Your friend needs to have labwork done to see what she may be deficient in. They have to be really compliant with Vitamins and sometimes have to go in for Iron via IV. Dehydration can also be a problem with any WLS if you aren't getting in enough fluids.

I have had no complications or problems, my type 2 diabetes seems to be in remission and I can already do so much more with my family. I love my sleeve!!

:)

I'm so glad you guys are feeling so good. So far today I have had Water, a Protein Shake and two pieces of beef Jerky. I'll have a little chicken slice for lunch and probably another couple of pieces of beef jerky after my evening shake. The doc said he didn't care how I did it as long as I stayed at 800 calories. A whole week of this... and then surgery on the 12th.

You can do it Shalon!!!!

You will do fine. Remember, RNY is totally different than the sleeve. My sister had RNY over 5 years ago, it was successful surgery and she lost the weight but to see what she goes through compared to me ( I had the sleeve), it is apples to oranges. I have no dumping, I get all of my nutrients, I can eat anything and my plumbing is the same as it was before surgery. I feel better than I have in 20 plus years, wish I would have done this surgery years ago. You will do great, hang in there.

Thank you for the positivity everyone! I woke up today in a much better mood, and ready to knock out day two of the pre-op diet. My surgeon told me it didn't have to be all liquids he just wanted 800 calories, or as close to as possible.

I had Protein shake for Breakfast, two pieces of beef Jerky for lunch, a strip of tri tip and a two strips of pre cooked steak meat for dinner, lots of Water and some pudding for an evening dessert. I have no idea how many calories that is, but I am sure it was at or about 800.

I'm gonna be terrible at counting calories, I just know it.

There is a GREAT website called MYFITNESSPAL.COM that can help you count calories, they even have it as an app for iphone and andriod. I used it for my 6 month, and pre op diets.. It's a GREAT GREAT tool for counting calories. While protiend are great, if you are doing your shakes, you should probably look into eating veggies, since you are getting Protein from the shakes. A salad at lunch is probably going to be more filling than a couple slices of Jerky. You will do great!!!!

Thank you for the positivity everyone! I woke up today in a much better mood, and ready to knock out day two of the pre-op diet. My surgeon told me it didn't have to be all liquids he just wanted 800 calories, or as close to as possible.

I had Protein shake for Breakfast, two pieces of beef jerky for lunch, a strip of tri tip and a two strips of pre cooked steak meat for dinner, lots of Water and some pudding for an evening dessert. I have no idea how many calories that is, but I am sure it was at or about 800.

I'm gonna be terrible at counting calories, I just know it.