Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A nervous new member

Hello, my name is Cassandra! I am seriously considering the lapband surgery, and have been viewing posts over the past few days. I really appreciate all of the information that everyone posts, thank you. I am trying to gain as much info. about the surgery before I truly commit myself to it, but I feel that in my heart I already have. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you! :eek:

Hi Cassandra,

Don't be nervous, we are all friends and family on this board.

Keep coming here and ask as many questions as you can, it's really good to be well informed before having any type of WL surgery.

For me, I did not do a lot of research about the band but becuase of these support website, I have become very informed and have been able to succeed in my efforts.

Please note the band is not a quick fix and it will take a lot of work on your part so please do research and make sure you are up for the challenge. As good as the band has been for me, it has also been struggle but I am a happy bandster.

Good luck in your efforts.

Thank you for your advice and support. I totally understand that the lapband is not a quick fix, but I am looking for something that will actually work and make me a healthier person.

New to the site myself and considering - strongly - the LapBand. Here is my question-comment-rambling-over-thinking-it-thought:

First, I believe overeating can have a LOT to do with emotional pain or some other "internal" emotional issue.

Since I believe this, then I think "If I have this surgery, the underlying problem is still there, not delt with" so I worry about the "problem" i.e. the underlying emotional issue is going to crop up in some other area of my life.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this or even understand what I'm trying to say??

And what about excersising - on the little bit of food you are able to eat, is there still enough energy there to "work out"?

I definitely agree with you that overeating or any unhealthy eating habits/behaviors have come from somewhere within. I truly believe that for myself. Honestly, I am still soul searching to figure out and try to heal what has caused me to reach this weight and feel unhealthy. I personally feel that the surgery does not "fix" those inner problems, but may provide a healthier path to follow and the tools we need. I have noticed that a lot of hospitals that to WL surgery also offer counseling and support.

Welcome Cassandra. Many of us have underlying issues with food, etc. Look for a surgeon that has a counselor session as part of the package. For example, my band surgeon (and many others) have you meet with a nutritionist and also a counselor/therapist. If multiple session are in order, then they are available to you. There are support group meetings also.

Continue your research and have your questions ready as you seek out the best band surgeon for you.

Of course, you have this board here with lots of fantastic people for support!!!

Terry :eek:

I believe most doctors do require that you have a psychiatric evaluation done prior to approving you for the surgery. I was put off by the idea of it, but actually found the session to go very well in learning about what triggers my eating and how to handle those emotions in a different manner. I think many people turn to food to help them deal with emotional issues. While the band is not a miracle worker, the beauty of it is, if you have proper restriction, at least when you do turn to food as an emotional crutch, you will not be able to go overboard with your eating as the band will not let you.

the beauty of it is, if you have proper restriction, at least when you do turn to food as an emotional crutch, you will not be able to go overboard with your eating as the band will not let you.

I totally agree with this...and speaking for myself, I already saw a therapist before I started my lap band journey and will continue to see her as I learn to live with my new tool and my new life.

you have come to the right place! This site has answered more questions for me in the last couple months, than my 4 years worth of research of gastric bypass vs. lap-band. Good luck girl!

hello everybody!!! i'm samantha and i'm from mexico,living in tx,i just had my lap band done a month ago,so i need all the support and advise i can get from you all.

Thank you! I love my puppy too, he makes me so happy. His name is Pete and he is a mini dachshund!!! Thank you for the support! I think that is so brave of you to be banded at the age of 18. What made you make the decision for WL surgery...if you dont mind me asking... :)