Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having serious anxiety about what I've done. Its hard to explain. I am feeling scared that I changed my internal body. I'm scared that down the road they are going to find that gastric sleeving is dangers. Unlike the by pass it is not reversible. And now its too late. Please tell me others have felt like this...I had mine done 8/26/11

Stop focusing on the negative thoughts that you are having. You made the right decision and you are gonna be fine!! Tell us what your procedure was like, are you in alot of pain? Are you walking/eating? How has it been thus far?

Relax. They aren't going to find it's dangerous down the road. There have been studies done on people with stomach cancer that had to have most of their stomach removed just like us and they lived long and healthy lives. Everything is fine and will continue to be fine. The only thing you have different than before is a smaller stomach. That's it. And trust me, you'll never want to have it reversed even if it was possible! Enjoy your weight loss!

I'm having serious anxiety about what I've done. Its hard to explain. I am feeling scared that I changed my internal body. I'm scared that down the road they are going to find that gastric sleeving is dangers. Unlike the by pass it is not reversible. And now its too late. Please tell me others have felt like this...I had mine done 8/26/11

Pain is definitely under control. Procedure went well. Yes I am up and walking. Eating on the other hand hasn't been so good. I did great while I was in the hospital. When I got home I was barely able to keep Water down. My Dr. Called in something for nausea, so hopefully it will improve. At this point I'm doing water and flat Ginger ale.

Day 5 was my freak out day where I became convinced that I hadn't done enough research and one day they'd discover this irreversible surgery was actually harmful. I stepped away from the ledge when I realized that stomach cancer survivors live for YEARS without stomachs. I hadn't altered the gastric path otherwise, so everything really would be okay. So, to answer your question, yes I was there too.

Deep breaths- this is a scary time emotionally. Everything will be okay. :)

Amanda

You will be just fine. We will all be just fine! They have been doing this for years, just realized recently that it works for overweight people too!!.

My neighbor, God bless her little self, had most of her stomach removed 14 years ago because of cancer and is still kickin'!!

She is the tiniest little thing, but she is still alive! I didn't even think about this being the same thing until someone else posted this subject a few months ago and I thought, hmmmmm, I guess I will remain thin!!

Don't worry your head about it!!

Kelly B)

i am having my surgery tommrow but other members have told me of the buyers remorse feeling...from what they have told me just stick to it and it does get better...plus if you were an emotional /stress eater and now that has been taken away from you during a very stressful time like surgery , panic attacks are bound to happen....

Before I chose to have the sleeve the permanency was one of the big factors that I had to consider. I knew that the sleeve was "new"... but I am a med junkie (pre-med student and obsessed since I was little...) and I also knew that people had gastrectomy's for many other reasons and have had them for a very long time. People with stomach cancer are a good example. They live normal lives. They have to adjust their eating of course, but no sudden complications have popped up for them over time. That set my nerves to rest. Yes it is new. Yes it is permanent. But guess what? The sleeve is ONLY new to BARIATRIC surgery. Look up " long term results gastrectomy's" on google or something.

Good luck and stop being so scared! You made the right decision for you!

I had the same feeling too right after my surgery. I was worried that I seriously shortened my lifespan and I screwed my body up. I also had some of the silliest fears; like, what if I found myself in an apocalyptic situation and I couldn't survive because of my altered stomach?

Now I'm almost 3 weeks out and a lot of my fears have settled. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm really happy with my decision (even though I've been stuck at a plateau for the past week!!! :mad2:)

It sounds like you have "buyers remorse" which is perfectly normal and many of us have them. I had mine for a day or two after surgery and kept thinking, "I cannot believe I did this to my body." And yes, it is not reversible, but I really cannot find too many people who have had their by-pass reversed, and most people who have the band continue with it or eventually go to the by-pass. As another post said, the sleeve is only new for weight loss, surgeries like it have been used for many years and all the studies so there are no long term dangers. Focus on the good things that are happening to you and to your body. Enjoy the feeling you have when you get on the scale and the numbers keep going down. Or how you feel when your cloths fit, get loose or you have to go to a smaller size. You will not always have these feelings. They are part of the process. You will get to a point when you will feel great about your decision and maybe even wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good luck

Look at it this way. I have a niece who is a size 2. She eats an egg roll and she is stuffed. She loves food, she was just born with a very small stomach. Will her life be shortened? Nah.

There are people who come by a smaller stomach naturally. I just needed a little assist to get there.

I had the same feeling too right after my surgery. I was worried that I seriously shortened my lifespan and I screwed my body up. I also had some of the silliest fears; like, what if I found myself in an apocalyptic situation and I couldn't survive because of my altered stomach?

Now I'm almost 3 weeks out and a lot of my fears have settled. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm really happy with my decision (even though I've been stuck at a plateau for the past week!!! :mad2:)

This is such an interesting take on things. I also thought about "end times" but I figured I could survive much better because I would be in better shape and would take less to fuel my body without misery. I never once thought it would be a negative but then I could barely walk when I was at my heaviest weight and doing much, much better now.

Interesting that this crosses so many minds apparently.

The end times scenario crossed my mind too! Funny - it seems like so many of us have the same thoughts. Of course it would be hard to be overweight in an end times situation - not enough food! At least now we wouldn't need to eat much to survive.