Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I’m having my revision surgery on Sept. 8th (originally scheduled for July 12th but postponed due to dr. suddenly retiring – very long story). Anyway, my one worry, that I just can’t seem to shake, is although I had success on the band (lost 90 lbs originally, have gained 10 back) I realized that I didn’t always follow the rules and I’m afraid that I’ll do the same on the sleeve. I know it’s ultimately up to me, that I need to be committed, BUT having been overweight all my life, it’s really hard to change my ways. On the band, sometimes I find myself eating when I know it will hurt, what kind of crazy is that?

Sometimes I feel so guilty, because I think my band slipped because I continually overate (or slipped Water while eating), not by much but over time I think I may have been part of the reason it slipped, that along with it being too tight. Believe me, I suffered a lot with the band, weeks of pain, long periods of not being able to eat or drink, only being able to sleep sitting up (that was the worst part), pbing, etc. etc. I’m so afraid that I’ll cheat while on the sleeve that I wonder if I should just remove the band and not get the sleeve but I know I’ll gain all my weight back.

HOWEVER, I’ve been so inspired by some of the stories I’ve read here. That the sleeve works so differently than the band that the sleeve really does help you not want food, at least not so much food (volume). I guess that’s what I’m really worried about; I just want to not want food so much! Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hello from another that was in the same situation as you . . . Banded and lost 83 and gained back 35. . . . never received restriction from the band and like you did a little cheating on the band and that's why the weight gain. I also, had the same thoughts prior to sleeve surgery last week. My thoughts just before surgery were "I will never give up on myself because I am worth it and others are depending on me to be there in the future" . . . that should be enough to put your fears to rest.

I believe everyone of us that are banded, sleeved, and RNY'd have cheated on the diet. I can guarantee you that each and every one has done it. so, don't feel like you are the only one that let things slip. But, it is what you do with your life after the slip. Never, Never, Never give up on your WL journey. You have done great with the band. I was sleeved last wednesday and everything is going so well right now. I am walking daily and keeping to my healing meal plan. Getting in my Water and Protein and staying with the program. I will overcome my excessive weight with this procedure. You should feel this way and believe in it. You are worth it. . you health will be so much better.

Good luck with your surgery.

I can only speak for myself. My sleeve experience has been completely different from my band experience. I have had tremendous sucess with the sleeve. I can't really cheat because I feel AWFUL if I eat or drink something that doesn't agree with me. If you eat a meal and then try to drink Water right afterwards, it will come right back up or it will hurt like hell until you get it out. bread gives me terrible acid reflux. I just don't eat it anymore. It only takes once or twice with that extreme discomfort and you won't do it again.

Also, the stomach is so small you really can't overeat. It gets full and then stuff simply won't go down. Completely different experience.

Good luck---

Thank you Rev Me Up! and PaPaBob, I really appreciate the encouragement! It means more than you know. PLUS I love hearing that it a really different experience than the band, it's so reassuring to know that it's very difficult to cheat!

Even if I could, I'm going to really try and follow all the rules this time. My doc is really strict though, post-surgery diet is 4 weeks clear liquid, 2 weeks full liquid and then 2 weeks soft foods, can't eat "real" food until 9 weeks. It's the strictest I've heard about, which was just like he directed for the band post diet. I don't know why he's so conservative, seems extreme, but I'm really going to try.

What was your post-op like?

Good luck and stay strong! Thanks again.

Yikes! That's the toughest post op diet I have ever heard of. Usually the Mexican doctors are the toughest, but your doc has them beat by several weeks. You'll have to see how you feel after the surgery. I was supposed to be clear Fluid 1 week, full liquid 2 more weeks and then mushies. I started drinking liquid yogurt in the second week because I could not handle the Protein Drinks and I was having dehydration and nutrition problems. In fact, my American bariatric follow up doctor was horrified that I was not moving on to food sooner. Everyone is different. Do your very best and listen to your body - you will be a little fragile for a few weeks after.

Good luck!

Congrats on your upcoming revision! For me, the band and sleeve are totally different. My band would be tight in the morning and then by the end of the day, I could eat whatever I wanted. With the sleeve, I have restriction all the time. I feel that is where the big difference is. I also just don't think about food all the time like I used to. I really think the ghrelin being reduced by the surgery plays a big part in that. I was bad at following the band rules, but I have had no problems with the sleeve. I am not perfect at all. I have had little indulgences here an there (mainly due to my monthy friend that causes head hunger), but I still continue to lose. The sleeve has been a dream come true for me. I love that I have control of food now and I can live my life without those food demons. I do have some sagging skin, but I have been doing Callanetics and it has gotten better. (I am dreaming of a Tummy Tuck one day. LOL) I wish you the best!!!!

Here's the difference. If I ove rate with the lap-band it would hurt a minute then go down, and after that I could eat way too much.

With the sleeve that does not happen. If I over eat, I'm in horrible pain and end up throwing up. You only do that a couple of times...believe me.

I also visualize my sleeve. It's long and skinny, is not very stretchy, and does not contain the part of the stomach that makes you crave food and want to over eat. Visualize eating just enough to fill it up without stretching it every time you eat. That's working for me....so far. And yes, I eat crap I shouldn't eat now and then so I joined myfitnesspal.com and I log everything, even the bad stuff, and knowing I'm going to log it can usually keep me from eathing itl

Best of luck to you! This is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I couldn't be happier!

Thank you, this is so encouraging! I can't wait until my revision is all done!

Congrats on your upcoming revision! For me, the band and sleeve are totally different. My band would be tight in the morning and then by the end of the day, I could eat whatever I wanted. With the sleeve, I have restriction all the time. I feel that is where the big difference is. I also just don't think about food all the time like I used to. I really think the ghrelin being reduced by the surgery plays a big part in that. I was bad at following the band rules, but I have had no problems with the sleeve. I am not perfect at all. I have had little indulgences here an there (mainly due to my monthy friend that causes head hunger), but I still continue to lose. The sleeve has been a dream come true for me. I love that I have control of food now and I can live my life without those food demons. I do have some sagging skin, but I have been doing Callanetics and it has gotten better. (I am dreaming of a Tummy Tuck one day. LOL) I wish you the best!!!!