Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting off of the PPIs

I am about 8 months out, and at my last checkup (about two weeks ago) I asked if it was OK for me to get off the PPI acid reducer. I have had pretty good luck with not having acid problems using the Omeprazole, except maybe 1 week of some breakthrough acid. Before surgery if I ate well, not too much junk or chocolate, I was fine. Acid problems were directly related to what I ate. Well about 10 days ago I quit the Omeprazole cold turkey. So far so good! I do watch the chili, which I used to love but bothers my stomach a little now... I eat some chocolate every day, but just a table spoon or so....and so far, no acid problems. Have any of you never taken PPIs (My doc insisted I go on them for one mont before and 6 months after surgery) or stopped after surgery? I am worried about the Calcium absorption on PPIs....that is the main reason I went off.

I have stopped my PPI to see how things go without it. I am.3 mo post op now. I stopped a couple of wks ago too. I haven't noticed any acid, nausea, or increased hunger yet. I was concerned about Vitamin absorption as well. So far so good, no problems!!

I was just thinking about this last night--I haven't stopped mine yet, and I'm at 4 months, 1 week.... Maybe I'll go to an every-other-night trial and see how that goes--kind of wean off of it. I do sometimes get that acidy hunger, but only if I wait too long in between eating something. If anyone else does stop yours, please post results!

I had to go on twice-a-day omeprazole because one a day wasn't working. I'm less than a month out, though. I'm hoping it eventually clears up for me, I've never had reflux problems before.

I was put on mine for three months so stopped 10 days ago- I have basically been fine until last night- woke up in the middle of the night with total reflux/acid. I hope it is a one time thing! Like you I worry about the Calcium absorption as I am 58 and osteoporosis is a fear. If it happens a lot like last night- it was NO fun- I will go back on it.

I tried to stop at 3 months and the first three nights were fine, woke up the following two nights with reflux, and the 5th day vomited a sleeveful of acid with very little warning. I started up again and haven't stopped, but I have osteopenia and need the acid...there is some belief among physicians that PPIs should be tapered when discontinuing them--from a full dose to a half dose, then then a quarter, and then stop. I think I am going to try that and see. Besides, if one omeprazole every other day works, then my pills last twice as long.

I'm such a rebel LOL. No seriously, I'm still on Nexium, was on Prilosec until January, and switched to Nexium after a gastritis attack.

Anyways, I have had breakthrough reflux a few times, and it's hell. Plus, I was told to never stop "cold turkey", but to wean off when I decided to do so.

I "might", heavy on the might, wean off after the baby is born in November which will put me at almost 2.5 years out. From the other vets, they noticed their hunger came back, and they had to cut certain foods. Well, I live on spicy foods, so I haven't weaned off yet. I kept saying "oh I'll wean off when I hit X months out", but never followed through with it after reading others that had tried before me. Admittedly, the hunger returning scares me more than reflux (well except with reflux there is the lovely Barretts esophagus issues), but we'll see how I feel in November/December of this year.

I stopped mine at 6 weeks, per doctors orders. Kaiser Fremont guidelines are twice a day for the first six weeks and then only as needed. I haven't had issues with acid yet. I didn't have acid issues before the surgery either. I have eaten spicy foods, such as Chili, salsa, jalapenos, and hot sauce without a problem. Of course, I haven't had much of any of them because I still can't eat more than 1/2 cup at a time.

Lynda

You are right to be concerned about your Calcium consumption. I have discovered a little talked about truth concerning our Calcium needs after surgery. The most common forms of consumable calcium are calcium carbonate and calcium gluconate. There are some others as well, but these are the most common ingredients even in the calcium pills or chewables sold at heath food sites (powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, for example). HOWEVER, if you have to take a PPI, before or especially after WLS, then the PPI cancels out the calcium absorption of these more common ingredients. The amount of calcium absorbed anyway is only about 20 to 25 percent. Talking PPI's lowers that to 5 or less percent. That means you would have to be taking tons of pills each day to meet your requirement. The ONLY form of calcium that is going to do us any good after surgery is calcium CITRATE. Harder to finder, but better to use. Check your bottles.< /p>

See this excellent site: http://www.advancedh...um_Citrate.html

I am about 8 months out, and at my last checkup (about two weeks ago) I asked if it was OK for me to get off the PPI acid reducer. I have had pretty good luck with not having acid problems using the Omeprazole, except maybe 1 week of some breakthrough acid. Before surgery if I ate well, not too much junk or chocolate, I was fine. Acid problems were directly related to what I ate. Well about 10 days ago I quit the Omeprazole cold turkey. So far so good! I do watch the chili, which I used to love but bothers my stomach a little now... I eat some chocolate every day, but just a table spoon or so....and so far, no acid problems. Have any of you never taken PPIs (My doc insisted I go on them for one mont before and 6 months after surgery) or stopped after surgery? I am worried about the calcium absorption on PPIs....that is the main reason I went off.

I tried to go off mine. I was off of it for 6 months. I finally went back to taking it every other day. This works well for me.

I was worried about the Calcium thing too but the GERD was horrible and did not go away after 6 months so I am good with taking it every other day.

You are right to be concerned about your Calcium consumption. I have discovered a little talked about truth concerning our calcium needs after surgery. The most common forms of consumable calcium are calcium carbonate and calcium gluconate. There are some others as well, but these are the most common ingredients even in the calcium pills or chewables sold at heath food sites (unjury, for example). HOWEVER, if you have to take a PPI, before or especially after WLS, then the PPI cancels out the calcium absorption of these more common ingredients. The amount of calcium absorbed anyway is only about 20 to 25 percent. Talking PPI's lowers that to 5 or less percent. That means you would have to be taking tons of pills each day to meet your requirement. The ONLY form of calcium that is going to do us any good after surgery is calcium CITRATE. Harder to finder, but better to use. Check your bottles.< /p>

See this excellent site: http://www.advancedh...um_Citrate.html

I do take citrate, but even that is questionable...

the best way to increase bone strength is weight baring exercise. like running, fast walking and such. this will build new bone and help in that area. if you are worried that you are not getting the Calcium absorption due to the acid reducers then exercise more and this will help your new bone growth. as for stoping medications it is always better to titrate down then to quite cold turkey.