Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I I want to tell my story. I had my surgery on July 12, 2011. I had a few dreams where I had got to the surgery door and changed my mind. But here is my story. I had tried about 2 years ago to have the surgery but it didn't work out because they had underlying fees. I refused to have to pay extra when I had insurance. So I kept looking. I was not on board at first with the my primary Dr. at first. It did take some time for me to get on board. So I went on the internet and found a surgeon that did the surgery and didn't have underlying fees. I hit the jackpot. They were at a well know hospital and there website was very good. Plus they gave you the nutritionist as an added bonus. So alot of the paperwork I already had done. It was just a matter of getting it to the surgeon after going to his seminar. After his seminar I made an appointment to see him. Dr. Mark Kligman from University of Maryland Medical Center. I had previous surgeries and he needed to see the surgeons notes. After seeing the surgeons notes he decided that he would have to do the sleeve because of the previous surgeries. I was not to happy but I left it up to the Surgeon. I felt comfortable with him and I trusted his decision. I was not happy but I learned to live with the decision he made. I did my 2 week liver shrinking diet and I think I did a very good job with it. The day of the surgery i was at peace with the Drs. decision but did ask one more time about doing the Gastric bypass instead of the sleeve.By he was set in what he was going to do. It took my Dr. 5 hours to do the sleeve because of all the scar tissue. But after the surgery, while in recovery I had very little pain if any. They got me up in 2 hours to go for my walk. I can't believe I just had surgery and up and walking. There was very little pain. But I did my walking around the wing. I was up at 2 in the morning walking. I couldn't believe it I was walking and I felt pretty good. I got into my room at around 8 or 9 pm that night. Before I got in bed I wanted to do my walk. Was this the same person wanting to walk. I felt pretty good. The first night was ice chips. The second day I had to do the swallowing test. After the test I got my 32 ozes of Water and my 8 oz Protein Shake. I had problems drinking the water and the shake. Every time I drank or ate I had extreme pain in the abdomin area. I couldn't figure out why. This went on for 4 days. The Drs. didn't know what was going on either. I spent 2 extra days in the hospital because I was not able to eat or drink without pain. I finally was able to drink water and shake that friday and was able to go home at noon. Little did I know when I got home I would encounter the same problem I had in the hospital. It got so bad that early Monday morning I called the hospital to let them know I was still having the same problems I was having in the hospital. But after spending all day in the ER the only thing they could find was I was constipated. Also I had diverticulitis which I already knew. But I left the ER discouraged and depressed. I went to a dark place and took it out on my primary Dr. and my pastor. The same thing kept happening and I called the Dr. and he met with me as well. He was as baffeled as I was and the people in the ER. But the pains did go away after 2 weeks. Then I have to learn how to eat all over. I have been walking everyday. I don't walk on the weekends but I think I will change that. I have had my three week checkup and my weight is 274. I can't remember the last time I weighted 274 pounds. I am having problems now with eating foods that will help me lose the weight. I can't eat any breads. They stick in my chest and cause alot of pain. I have tried several different types of bread and wraps. I feel like I am at a stand still as far as weightlose is concerned.

Congrats on the weight loss! Sorry you've had so much pain. I hope it's getting better for you.

I was sleeved the same day you were and I'm not allowed bread yet. In fact, I won't be allowed bread for a good 6 months. I'm hoping that when I go back to see the surgeon on the 29th that he will clear me for "solids" and they will approve some form of crackers for me as I'm wanting some crackers. Focus on getting 60g or more of Protein a day - that will fill you up (trust me). Once you meet that goal (and getting in at least 64 ounces of Water a day), then start filling in with some non-starchy veggies like broccoli, green Beans, carrots, etc. The veggies should be "over cooked" - not raw. Steam them or throw into a Soup that is simmered for a good long while. That way they won't irritate your sleeve nearly as much.

Hello Nancy how are you doing? Thanks for replying to my story. You are the only person that has. I sometimes feel lost. I went in on a chat and the person that was in there when I signed on closed out with out saying anything. I am sorry for invading her chat. I guess I won't do the chat thing anymore. Each day its a different thing. Right now I am dealing with my body temp being hot then cold, then cold and hot. I never know what each day is going to bring for me. But I am so glad to meet you Nancy. I hope you will keep in touch with me. And I will keep in touch with you. How do you do the sacle thing to monitor your weight. This is all new to me.

Congrats on the weight loss! Sorry you've had so much pain. I hope it's getting better for you.

I was sleeved the same day you were and I'm not allowed bread yet. In fact, I won't be allowed bread for a good 6 months. I'm hoping that when I go back to see the surgeon on the 29th that he will clear me for "solids" and they will approve some form of crackers for me as I'm wanting some crackers. Focus on getting 60g or more of Protein a day - that will fill you up (trust me). Once you meet that goal (and getting in at least 64 ounces of Water a day), then start filling in with some non-starchy veggies like broccoli, green Beans, carrots, etc. The veggies should be "over cooked" - not raw. Steam them or throw into a Soup that is simmered for a good long while. That way they won't irritate your sleeve nearly as much.