Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating too much!!! what do I do to stop?

Help!!! I am only 4 weeks out from my band to sleeve revision and I can eat anything and everything. I feel hunger all the time, and started my nexium after reading on here that it helps. When will that kick in. I reread my paperwork and I am only supposed to be able to eat 1/4 cup of food 4x a day... I am eating at least 1 full cup at a sitting. This is so different from the band, I almost crave that "one bite too many" feeling back.. I feel like a failure.. have I stretched my new stomach out already... what am I to do?

Mindyloohoo, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time (or should I 'easy' time?). Are you sticking to mainly dense Protein, as carbs can be real sliders. You should be cleared for chicken, etc now.

Also make sure you minimize drinking with your meals (try and not drink anything until 30 mins after you've eaten).

I hope you find something that works for you. ((Hugs))

Help!!! I am only 4 weeks out from my band to sleeve revision and I can eat anything and everything. I feel hunger all the time, and started my nexium after reading on here that it helps. When will that kick in. I reread my paperwork and I am only supposed to be able to eat 1/4 cup of food 4x a day... I am eating at least 1 full cup at a sitting. This is so different from the band, I almost crave that "one bite too many" feeling back.. I feel like a failure.. have I stretched my new stomach out already... what am I to do?

Well, everyone is different and everyone did get a different sized sleeve. Im out 18 months and can only eat 1 cup of food at a sitting too, if that at times. Now if your afraid you may have stretched the sleeve then do the 5 day pouch test and let me tell you it is really tough, but if you are serious about it, you can do this. So google it as it sounds 5 day pouch test. . and good luck!

I am just speaking from my own experience but I want to tell you this:

I was sleeved on May 9th of this year. I prayed and prayed that my hunger would go away after surgery because I was always hungry before surgery and could literally and did eat all damn day!!

After my surgery, I still was hungry. I was sad!! I thought for sure, I would always feel this way.

I have taken Nexium since 2004 when I was diagnosed with GERD! I read and read on here about "false hunger" from acid. I asked my dr. about it and he told me it was bologna!! I couldn't stop thinking that maybe, just maybe there was something to it. I would eat, even with my sleeve and an hour later be hungry again!! My dr. swore I was eating the wrong things, but I knew what I was putting in my mouth!!

I took it upon myself to get some Prilosec OTC at Walmart and took the 14 day trail. In about 10 days, I noticed a HUGE difference in my hunger! Now, I still get hungry, but I am not hungry all damn day like I was before on Nexium! I bypassed my surgeon and got my PCP to write me a script for the Prilosec and I now take it daily all the time and don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it!

Ask your dr. to switch your PPI. It could just make all the difference in the world. It sure did for me!

Kelly ;)

I am slacking on my PPI. Maybe that is why I am hungry all the time and find myself grazing like mad. I cant literally eat 3 x's what the Dr said I should be able to eat in one sitting.

Just have to get back on the wagon hun. You can do it !!!! (And so can I LOL).

Measure your food. I am almost eight months out and I don't know how much I can eat because I measure and weigh everything. If I can eat my 1/2 cup of yogurt, great. If not, back into the fridge it goes for a snack later. I don't know if I could eat 1 cup because my portion size is 1/2 cup. I eat 3 oz. of shrimp or scallops and 2.5 oz. of beef. I don't get foamies or vomit or worry about "stretching" my stomach. If I am still hungry I take a walk. If I am still hungry after the walk, I drink some Water. If I am still hungry after a walk and water, I have a low-carb snack. Sometimes head hunger masquerades as real hunger and the only way I have found to tell the difference is to wait and not cave in to the first urges.

Measure your food. I am almost eight months out and I don't know how much I can eat because I measure and weigh everything. If I can eat my 1/2 cup of yogurt, great. If not, back into the fridge it goes for a snack later. I don't know if I could eat 1 cup because my portion size is 1/2 cup. I eat 3 oz. of shrimp or scallops and 2.5 oz. of beef. I don't get foamies or vomit or worry about "stretching" my stomach. If I am still hungry I take a walk. If I am still hungry after the walk, I drink some Water. If I am still hungry after a walk and Water, I have a low-carb snack. Sometimes head hunger masquerades as real hunger and the only way I have found to tell the difference is to wait and not cave in to the first urges.

I LOVE this. Is this your plan until you reach goal or forever?

Just a note your nerves in your stomach have been cut and you will NOT feel a full signal for the first while. It takes a bit to feel it. So please measure your food and only eat the recommended portion your doctor or nut wants you to eat. You do not want to over eat and cause a leak.

About the PPI I have heard several people talk about nexium not working for them. I was prescribed prilosec 20 mg (omeprazole is the generic name). And it works great for me. Try to get your PPI changed and it should hopefully help with the hunger. The first while is a real learning curve on figuring out how to eat drink etc...

I LOVE this. Is this your plan until you reach goal or forever?

After I reach goal I plan on dropping more 10 lbs or so to give me a little 'bounce" room, so it's for the foreseeable future (at least another six -eight months or so). After I decide to maintain, I may have to tweak a bit to steady the scale, but I cannot see a day when I will eat until my stomach says "I'm full." I ate like that for thirty years and ended up obese.

Great advice Foxbins!

Thank you all for the advice.. I am for sure gonna try the 5 day test thing. Wish the doctor's office could give out real advice like this. I also realized, that I haven't really tried true dense meat yet.. Just the meatloaf, too much cheese and foods that are considered sliders (another term my dr's office to mention). Thank god I go back to work on Friday, maybe when I'm not home with too much time on my hands, things will get better.

I love this post. Way to be disciplined! I'm doing the same thing...measuring, weighing, and counting everything...but I feel I get hungry too quickly sometimes as well. I like the idea of drinking Water and taking a walk. Thank you for sharing and reaffirming for me that I'm doing the right thing.

Measure your food. I am almost eight months out and I don't know how much I can eat because I measure and weigh everything. If I can eat my 1/2 cup of yogurt, great. If not, back into the fridge it goes for a snack later. I don't know if I could eat 1 cup because my portion size is 1/2 cup. I eat 3 oz. of shrimp or scallops and 2.5 oz. of beef. I don't get foamies or vomit or worry about "stretching" my stomach. If I am still hungry I take a walk. If I am still hungry after the walk, I drink some water. If I am still hungry after a walk and water, I have a low-carb snack. Sometimes head hunger masquerades as real hunger and the only way I have found to tell the difference is to wait and not cave in to the first urges.

Hi there,

I'm a grazer by nature but trying hard to break that habit now that I've been blessed with VSG.

Let me just tell you that I bet I could sit down and eat half a bag of chips. But I can't even eat 1/2 a cup of chicken!

Soooo, it's the chicken I stick with.

If I'm craving crunchy chips, I literally count out 5 or 10 chips, and have them after my solid protein....and usually I can only eat 3!

I log everything at myfitnesspal.com which is awesome. It shows you how many calories, carbs, fat, and Protein you are consuming. It has a database of literally every food in the world! It opened my eyes as to how many carbs I was eating, I made some adjustments, and the weight started flying off again. If you join (its free) add me as a friend (tippy2us) and we can help each other...

Make the decision to make this procedure work for you. It's a very VERY helpful tool but it needs your help too! Go with solid Proteins first and no liquids while eating and you will stay full longer.

Great Advise! I am reading and working the book...The End of Overeating by Kessler. He states that each time we do not succumb to an eating cue...we become stronger and more able to resist that cue the next time! It's not easy, but it works!! Good luck! Barb

Measure your food. I am almost eight months out and I don't know how much I can eat because I measure and weigh everything. If I can eat my 1/2 cup of yogurt, great. If not, back into the fridge it goes for a snack later. I don't know if I could eat 1 cup because my portion size is 1/2 cup. I eat 3 oz. of shrimp or scallops and 2.5 oz. of beef. I don't get foamies or vomit or worry about "stretching" my stomach. If I am still hungry I take a walk. If I am still hungry after the walk, I drink some Water. If I am still hungry after a walk and water, I have a low-carb snack. Sometimes head hunger masquerades as real hunger and the only way I have found to tell the difference is to wait and not cave in to the first urges.