Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what changes to expect with revision

Hi everyone,

This is only the 2nd time I have posted on this website. The last time was about a year ago when my LapBand doctor first mentioned a revision to the sleeve. I have been trying my best to keep my band for the last two years and now I think I just want it out. I have read several of your posts and can relate to many of them. I have been banded a little over 2 years. In those 2 years, I have had 11 fills and 11 unfills ( 2 complete unfills ). My doctor says he has adjusted me more than all his band patients combined in those 2 years.

I can't find that "sweet spot" I am either too loose and can eat a horse ( and gain weight ) or I am too tight and get terrible acid reflux that keeps me upright in a chair at night choking on my acid. I can only eat slider foods and even puke them up on a regular basis. Everything seems to affect my band and how tight it is. ie. my TOM, my stress level, how hydrated I am, the humidity in the air, the list goes on and on. I can never tell what to expect from day to day. One thing that is consistant - I can never eat until about noon. There are a few days when I can eat just fine and then the next day I'm puking up everything.

I can also relate to everyone's fears and frustrations at getting a second surgery. Initially, I really wanted the sleeve. However, my insurance would only cover the band or RNY. The sleeve was considered experimental. I chose the band because I didn't want my insides rerouted. It scared me too much. The sleeve also scares me a bit because they are cutting out so much of your stomach and you can't get it back. The band sounded safe because it was reversable. Never mind they don't really tell you about all the damage it can do to your insides while it is in there. I believed the band was for me and now I'm sick of dealing with it.

I have been fairly successful with the band. I lost 93# but then put 20# back on when I started having all the problems. However, the weight loss hasn't been healthy in my opinion. I loose weight when I'm too tight because I can't eat anything and I gain when I'm too loose because I can and do eat. I'm also sick of the pain that comes along with the band. That awful feeling of being stuck that, for me, can last for 4-6 hours before it finally passes or I thow up. Ouch! I have now learned to puke on demand. Isn't that a feat to be proud of! I feel like the band has made me unhealthy because I only eat food that is bad for me and I can't tolerate anything like Protein or fruits and veggies. I live on junk and Protein supplements.

My doctor again suggested a revision to the sleeve. He is writing a letter to my insurance to see if they will cover it. Another concern I have is the fact that we may loose or change insurance at my job. What the heck will I do if I loose my insurance coverage with all the adjustments I need. I would like to get the sleeve an skip all the hassle and upkeep with the band. I am about 25# from my goal weight and would like to loose this and then maintain. Do you think the sleeve is right for me?

My questions to those of you who have traded your bands for the sleeve are:

Are there any foods you can't tolerate with the sleeve?

Did you have acid reflux with the band? Do you have it with the sleeve?

Did you have any complications during your sleeve surgery?

Can you swollow pills now?

Do you still get "stuck" on food?

What is the best thing you can say about your sleeve?

What is the worst thing you have experienced with your sleeve?

Would you do it again?

Sorry if this is long. Any questions you can answer will definately help me on my decision if I get approved by insurance.

Shelli

Are there any foods you can't tolerate with the sleeve? Pork sits a little heavy in my sleeve at 26 months out, as do scrambled eggs, but both are doable, just eating slower than normal if I "really" want them. I don't "really want" them at all. It's been well over a year since I've eaten pork chops, and don't miss them. I'll try an egg sandwich on occasion, and it works as long as I have some cheese and meat on it as well.

Did you have acid reflux with the band? Do you have it with the sleeve? No to the band portion, but I didn't have it pre-band either. I didn't fully develop reflux with VSG either, BUT I choose to stay on my PPI. Too many stories of people's hunger returning, and dealing with breakthrough reflux. I have had several flare ups in the pregnancy, and I'm miserable for hours if I have reflux. I'll gladly take my PPI forever to avoid feeling that way.

Did you have any complications during your sleeve surgery? Yes, I had a leak. It was directly related to the damage the band did to my stomach tissue. Get a complete unfill, allow your stomach to relax for a few weeks before surgery. My port was completely inaccessible as it had migrated, and was surrounded by hoards of scar tissue.

Can you swollow pills now? I have been swallowing horse pills since around 6-7 weeks out without issue.

Do you still get "stuck" on food? Nope, none.

What is the best thing you can say about your sleeve? Constant permanent restriction, the ability to eat a varied, nutrient dense diet, and the lack of physical hunger at 26 months out. I still forget to eat.

What is the worst thing you have experienced with your sleeve? Honestly, nothing. I had a hell of a recovery, and I'd do it all over again to live the life I have today. Every struggle, hurdle I endured was worth it, and I'd glad do it all over.

Would you do it again? Without hesitation!

Your story sounds identical to mine.

Just get that band out! I hope your insurance covers sleeve surgery because life with the sleeve and the band are like night and day.

I can eat anything I want and I have been maintaining my weight loss for over a year. This was the best thing I have ever done for myself.