Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Day Home

My surgery was Tuesday (Aug. 9), and it went well. During the surgery, my doctor also fixed a small hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had. I was in the hospital for two nights, which is normal for my surgeon.

I was pretty groggy the first evening, but I felt good. I wasn't good company for my visitors.

The second day was long. I learned how to take care of things like my drain and did the leak test. I got worried during the leak test. I had been told constantly to sip when first consuming liquids, and the radiologist was telling me to take large gulps and swallow them. It was freaking me out a bit, and I think that helped me overlook how bad the stuff tasted. My nurse explained later that I was able to take the big gulps because my stomach was completely empty, but it was the first time I'd tried anything other than ice chips.

The second night I had a pretty dry throat. I think it had to do with hospital air. Now that I'm home, it feels fine. The nurse said some of that could be because I was intubated during surgery.

The nutrition coming to my room while staying in the hospital was pretty useless. She just confirmed I had things at home to drink and Vitamins and didn't give much more advice. I was expecting more.

I am currently on stage 3 liquids, which is Clear Liquids with Protein shakes as well. The nutritionist said I'd be on that for 8 weeks although the day before my surgeon said two weeks and then progress to full liquids for 6 weeks. I know my time on liquids is a lot longer than most of you.

I have a JP drain, which is smelly and gross. I can't wait until it is removed next Wednesday. All together, I have 6 small cuts in my abdomen. The only one with stitches is the one holding the drain in place.

My belly is pretty bruised. I tend to bruise easily, so I wasn't surprised about this. I got a lot of the bruises after the surgery from heparin shots to my belly. I think I got like two of those a day.

I'm not currently on any pain medication. I have a prescription for some foul tasting stuff that I've decided not to fill right now.

I haven't had any nausea or vomiting.

The only problem I did have was today when I put on my bra. It made my abdomen feel very tight and uncomfortable. As soon as I got home, I removed it and started feeling much better.

I'm feeling pretty good overall. I'm still not leaning over though. I just don't want to push it.

I'm happy I was sleeved. One funny thing -- the night before the surgery I dreamed that I ate after midnight and was trying to puke it up so I could still have the surgery. I was bummed that I probably had to delay my surgery for such a stupid mistake. ;)

So very glad to hear you're doing well!! How long are you going to have to keep your drain? My surgeon said he removes drains pretty much 4-6 days after surgery. That's probably the one thing I'm leery of. Is it easy to take care of at home? Again, so glad to hear you're doing well! Take care of yourself and keep checking in...love to hear updates!

Glad you are doing well!

Glad to hear you are home and doing well.

Miss Hope, I will have my drain removed next Tuesday, so it will be in for a week total. It is easy to care for but a bit gross.

I do have to pay more attention about what I wear because I don't want to advertise I have something like that. The worst part of the drain is I have a loop of tubing taped to my stomach and that tape pulls when I move a bit. The loop is so if the tube gets pulled, it will have some give.

I noticed a big drop in how much I needed to empty out from Thursday to Friday. My surgery was Tuesday.

I am looking forward to getting it out.

I had surgery Thursday. It was Dr. Bautista's first use of DA Vinci for a VSG (he is an old hand at it for RnY). He had my drain pulled yesterday, and I finally got home at 10 PM. It is so much more comfortable here than at the hospital. Best of luck to everyone!