Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your workout routine ~ Do U use a trainer?

I am starting at the YMCA next week and would like to gain some knowledge of what to expect for a workout for an obese person.

What is your workout routine?

Do you use a combo of cardio and weights or other like swimming?

Do you have a trainer? What are the benefits?

What are good questions I should ask a trainer?

Should I have a trainer experienced in working with WLS patients?

We really can't afford a full-time trainer, but I was thinking I could purchase a few sessions to get me started and build from there. When I am ready to move on, perhaps another session with a trainer.

I would LOVE to hear some feedback on this and I thank you all in advance!!

Until now I've been focussing on cardio. I dont know it just felt like too many things to change at once, and I've worked on my cardio for six months and feel its now a daily habit and not something I have to think about, I just do it.

I know I need weights/strength training though and this week I've started. We're gong to move house next year and we'll be buying something with room for a home gym - just something with a rumpus room probably and then I'll buy a decent weights machine. I loathe free weights, hate hate hate using dumbells but there's no real choice just now.

What I'd really like is a routine that was weights free - push ups, tricep dips, chin ups etc but I cant do any of those things effectively and I need help to get to the point where I can. I can only do girlie push ups and I never feel as if I"m using the proper muscles. And abs - I just dick around here, I need a kick ass ab program, my core really needs work.

So I too have been thinking about say, a once a month session with a trainer, no way can I afford to do it weekly.

I like to do all this at home too - I bought myself a treadmill - because I just cant get the time to get to the gym five times a week much as I love it. And when I go I dont have hours to spend there, I can afford an hour tops. So it works really well for me to work out at home, in fact its made all the difference between doing it and not.

I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. one day i will walk on the treadmill for 45 min, the next day i will do weight machines and then ride the bike for 35 min. today i just started an aqua aerobics class and really liked it. so i will probably do that twice a week also. i actually look forward to going to the gym now. thats really a huge change for me. as far as a personal trainer, i dont use one but i can see where one could be very helpful if they were familiar with the band at all.

Thanks ladies....good info. Do you know if there is a difference between actual weights and weight resistance using the hydraulic machines? Our Y offers a women only circuit room with the hydraulics similar to Curves. I wonder if one is better than the other. :(

Hi 3Loves!!

I just joined a gym last week and so far I have been doing cardio and weights in the same workout. I walk on the treadmill or the elliptical for at least 25 minutes then do the circuit machines (there are 15) and do at least 20 reps per machine. It takes me an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes on the average. I have gone 3 times and tonight is number 4! The first 2 times I went alone and last time I went with a friend. Find a workout buddy if you can!! It helps to keep me motivated and accountable.

Good luck and happy sweating!

Free weights versus machines is an ongoing debate.

Machines support you and guide your joints through the correct range of movement while you're lifting the weight. By keeping your back against the seat etc you can also isolate the muscle well and avoid using momentum provided by your body to life the weight. So your workout is very targetted and efficient.

Free weights however use all the little synergystic muscles while you lift, lots of other muscles come into play to stabilise the joint you are working through. Many people believe it provides more functional or real life fitness because you use each muscle and joint in a realistic way.

If you're really trying to build big visible muscles, you'll get better results from free weights because you can work each muscle group from several angles with varying exercises, this is what most body builders do. On chest and back day for example, they'll do several exercises for each muscle to work the upper, middle and lower portion of that muscle kind of thing.

For a normal woman's needs, if she just wants to maintain and tone and not become obsessed with body building, machines are a great alternative, they're easy, you wont injure yourself, they're quick, etc etc.

I prefer machines, I hate lifting free weights because I just find it more difficult and annoying - and I hate the mucking around with changing weights, getting into position etc etc. We're going to buy a weights machine for home as soon as we move and have room for one.

I go 6 days a week, and have not missed a day once for 2 and a half months.

MWF - Eliptical machine

TThS - I am supposed to stick with the treadmill and do the weight machines. I become addicted to the Eliptical. I also became addicted to making sure I burned 500 calories a day at the gym.

This week, I have been making sure I burn 600 calories - and will break it up on the Eliptical and the AWSOME new treadmill machine. Or I have done nothing but the AWSOME new treadmill.

I have been considering a trainer, when I am down to my last 20 or 30 pounds. For serious toning.

No idea. I am worried myself, and will watch other's replies here!

I think they should be interested in knowing more about us for sure!

The basic $99 package at my gym (24Hour Fitness) is a routine they give each and every person, they are NOT curtailed to specifically you. It's 5 sessions, and you get the basic "this is how you do this to work this muscle, this machine, etc..".

I saw some at my gym pair up. There is a mother and daughter (or Daughter InLaw?) and the one trainer takes them around together while they do their workout routine, swapping out on the equipment.

My honest advice? Persistance. Determination. Selfishness.

Persistance - don't stop moving! Even when you have a reason to quit. You can do FIVE more mins!!!

Determination - stay focused, keep your eye on the goal.

Selfishness - This is about YOU, For YOU. Give an hour to yourself every day.

I wish you the very best!

I would suggest you hire a trainer. In one session the trainer can talk to and question you on your goals, lifestyle, etc. He will put you through a fitness test (don't worry, its not embarassing). Then he will determine what you need and set up a routine for you. He will also orientate you fully on the equipment he wants you to use.

We are all different bodies, lifestyles,and levels of fitness. I strongly suggest you not try to adapt to someone else routine but rather have a professional design one which is specific to you.

Carol

when i go to the gym (it changes with season) this is what i do...

50 minutes to an hour cardio. eliptical, 1st choice. recumbant bike 2nd choice

then i go to the 'weight machine' things for 30 mintues. i do ones that focus on my stomache, sides, lower back, back of arms, back of legs, inner thighs, outer thighs, and butt. i alternate the machines i use so they are different each time.

i do cardio till i am pouring in sweat and feeling alive and happy (50 minutes to an hour then i do 30 minutes on the weight machines.

of the weight machines i looked at the pictures on the machines that tell you WHERE the focus of the machine is and decide if its one i want to try. generally if its a new to me machine i will observe and try it myself but i definitally will ask a staff member the 'proper' way to use the machine. i start with whatever weight i can do 15 reps of 2 times with moderate difficulty.

my brother is a 'physically fit bastard' and my 'trainer' he says the free weights are a better muscular workout but you can hurt yourself easier with them if you dont know what your doing. i dont know what i am doing and i am not trying to 'sculpt' my body just tone it up. hop on hop off- thats why i like the machines.

i WOULD do swimming but the gym membership i have now excludes use of the pool. at the ymca i would swim atleast 2 times a week to keep changing up my workout routine.

to me the benifit would be you have a DOLLAR motivator. well that and (hopefully) qualified proffessional to teach you.

i have never had one other than my brother. i told him what i wanted out of working out: to lose weight and tone-up where i could. build some muscle but i didnt want 'hulkiness'.

i dont think that matters but it def. couldnt hurt!

i think if you dont have a clue about exercise than it would be $$ well spent. you can still figure it out on your own though! i didnt have a clue and with a few questions and taking the time to READ the insructions on the machines i did fine!

if you are starting from scatch with exercise then DO NOT try 50 minutes on the "cardio" machines (eliptical, bikes, recumbant bikes, stairstepper) i started with a 5 minute goal for the first time then work your way up so that you get a good workout. after you are comfortable on the machine you can slowly turn up the resistance or try different workout routines.

goodluck!

I work out @ home with my daughter~

Here is my workout week plan.

Week 1 & 3 & 5 – Sunday-Tuesday- Thursday- Saturday

Week 2 & 4 – Monday- Wednesday- Friday

Stretches Count (5 Min.)

Reach up (10 count)

Left (10 count)

Right (10 count)

Back (10 count)

Toes (10 count)

Wrist bend L/R & U/D