Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Burning

ok guys,

I had my first fill today and I have a few questions.

1. i didn't get an anesthetic shot, but it didn't hurt much when he stuck me, however when he started pushing in the saline, it burned like hell....any one ever had that problem before?

2. the doc told me 1 to 2 weeks liquids :faint: :) :) is he kidding? I knew a few days liquids but 1 to 2 weeks? What do you guys think?

I never had a burning sensation, but I just wanted to say: "1 to 2 WEEKS!?"

Wow!

I've never had a burning sensation. Is he sure he got the saline in the port? The only time I have ever felt burning is when I've had an IV in my arm flushed. Weird! My doc told me I shouldn't feel anything but the needle sliding in and it shold just pinch, not burn.

well i'm pretty sure he hit the port, he did it under flourscopy and i could see my port on the image, he could too, i told him it was burning, but he didnt seem to think it was a problem. Maybe it was burning when he took the needle out? I'm not sure now....I'll have to wait and see if I feel any restriction, so far I have just had Water so we will see.

No, no burning sensation. The doctor I use for fills wants his patients to go on liquids for 1 week following a fill. I thought a week was excessive - 2 weeks is just nuts.

According to my unofficial survey here on LBT (really just scrolling through and looking around! :nervous ), most doctors say liquids for 1 - 3 days after a fill. Just remember that if you have problems, you have to answer to YOUR doctor.

I've just returned from getting my 8th fill and I've never felt any burning sensation. Also, my surgeon recommends liquids for the remainder of the day, mushes the next day and then back to solid foods.

I've had 3 and never any burning. Sometimes I get a weird "pop" feeling when the needle is pulled out of the port, but never burning. DO you think it could have been b/c you were watching it? :)

And as for diet post-fill -- wowzer, we're supposed to do mushies for the rest of the day, or something like that, then resume normal eating.

Hey Kat, I didn't have any burning, but I have been having to give my DH some blood thinning injections,and if I swab him, and don't wait for the alcohol to dry, it burns like crazy. Now I didn't realize that was why, until another LBT-er was asking about blood thinning injections, and another told her to let it dry or it would burn...I tried it with DH that night--she was right!! It didn't burn when I let the alcohol dry. Maybe that's what happen. We are told clear liquid the remainder of the fill day, full liquids the next day, then mushies, then back to regualr diet. If you have another fill in a month, you will only be eating 1/2 the time....poor you! But I bet you knock our socks off with weight lost! Good Luck...keep us posted. BTW is it still painful at all?

Good Luck Heather!

Kat

I guess I'm the outsider here, but when I had my first fill a month ago, I did have some burning, and i even had a burning feeling in my throat as he did it. He said its not unheard of but not to common either, that i may just be sensitive to the saline or because he had to adjust the needle a few times. My dr. only requires 1 day of liquids, then 2 of soft/pureed, then reg food. Hope it helps to know that your not alone.

damn, no one else really had any burning huh? Maybe its the way the doc did it?..or maybe I'm just weird like that...but it burned like a mother for about 15-20 seconds and after it was over i still kept feeling twinges like u know when you scratch yourself and the skin burns later...he didn't use alcohol on me he used monkeys blood...what do you call it...benedine? that brown kinda stuff...any way....I don't think i can do another week liquids, i think i have restriction i ate a half bowl of creamy Soup today and I'm good. I think i may try some mashed potatoes tomorrow and see how the week goes. I'll keep u posted.

I did have a burning sensation after one 'fill" which happened to be the one fill where the port was not hit and I kinda knew it as I walked out of the hospital. It just didn't feel right! Burned and kind of a stinging burn. The next time I went in for a fill when she tried to remove the saline before the fill there wasn't as much in the band as she thought she had put in it the prior time. My Conclusion was she really had missed the band.

She then said it was a 'technical difficulty' last time she filled me. Anybody else have this happen?

I had burning, but it was with the needle in me and I had to stand and go to the fluro machine. While standing there she filled me some more and did another barium drink. I told her it was burning, but it was the needle I was feeling not the saline.

I have to be on Clear Liquids 3 days and mushies 3 days.

That DonnaB is just soooooo smart.....MsJoy's Doc says 24 to 48 hours clear, thin liquids and then the rest of the week, liquids.