Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water and Food - Fighting for space?

Hello:

I attended my first orientation and had the surgeon's appointment. The idea of being thin evokes all sorts of images in my mind and takes me to places where new wardrobes await me. LOL

I was fine with all the information given to me until we discussed the reality of day to day eating post op liquid diet. So the doctor wants the food intake to be primarily Protein, but then I heard that there's a battle between having enough space to drink Water and eat and that timing was everything. If one drinks too much Water, then she won't be able to fit food in the pouch: OMG!!!! What? Doesn't water just flow through?

I'm so indoctrinated to pour tons of water down me, that I can imagine having to regulate it. Another doctor told me that a patient of his wanted to quench her thirst after a stress test he administered and she couldn't do it; in fact, he said, she could barely stand after the procedure was done.

I'm trying to figure out what life is like a couple of months after surgery: what is the reality of the commitment?

I am still pre-op but I can tell you it's a LIFE TIME commitment. Since deciding to have the surgery it's been a commitment and it's not likely to change. Taking Vitamins daily, monitoring your Protein intake and fluids, restricting bad carbs, and exercising (I'm not talking about being a gym rat but at least doing more walking and being less sedintary than we are now). This will be every day for the rest of our lives if we want to work this sleeve to it's fullest. There are some people on this forum that have had their sleeves 2-3 years now and can eat pretty normally but the amount they report eating is far less than they ever used to. There are also some who have gained back 50lbs because they were not following their commitent. Please be sure you are ready for a life time commitment before going through with it. I waited two years to make sure me and my family were ready for all the changes. I mean, let's face it, this doesn't just involve me. Good luck :)

Hello:

I attended my first orientation and had the surgeon's appointment. The idea of being thin evokes all sorts of images in my mind and takes me to places where new wardrobes await me. LOL

I was fine with all the information given to me until we discussed the reality of day to day eating post op liquid diet. So the doctor wants the food intake to be primarily Protein, but then I heard that there's a battle between having enough space to drink Water and eat and that timing was everything. If one drinks too much Water, then she won't be able to fit food in the pouch: OMG!!!! What? Doesn't water just flow through?

I'm so indoctrinated to pour tons of water down me, that I can imagine having to regulate it. Another doctor told me that a patient of his wanted to quench her thirst after a stress test he administered and she couldn't do it; in fact, he said, she could barely stand after the procedure was done.

I'm trying to figure out what life is like a couple of months after surgery: what is the reality of the commitment?

I understand completely, my surgeon said that I would have to learn to carry a bottle of water and drink from it constantly. Since I won't be able chug water anymore. I don;t think it'll be as hard as I'm making it out to be!!!

There are timing rules about eating and drinking. What works for me is to stop drinking about 5 minutes before a meal, eat, and wait 30-45 minutes after to start drinking again. It's true that liquids go right through your stomach (we don't have a pouch) but you want the food to fill you up and not get washed down by liquids; plus, if you have eaten something like bread and drink on top of it, it feels like it swells up in your stomach and hurts.

I asked my NUT about the drinking rules and she said because we no longer have a quart-sized "reservoir" to hold liquids, and because food intake is lower (and there's a fair amount of Water in most food) we need to be especially careful about dehydration. I can take normal-sized swallows now, but I can't chug quickly the way I used to. If I just start drinking Water after Breakfast and keep a bottle with me if I leave the house, I will have gotten in about 64 oz. by the end of the day.

In my case I'm 5 months out and I still wait 30 minutes to an hour after I eat to drink. Like someone else said especially when you eat bread or rice its impossible to drink on top of it because your stomach will feel like its extremely full. I was the kind of person who drank while I ate and drank a lot. I thought this rule was going to be hard to follow and its actually not. I got used to it and I'm sure you will too. You can take one sip if your mouth is dry. It also helps with weightloss to wait after you eat to drink fluids I read this somewhere but not sure where.

I never followed the "don't drink with meals" rule. I don't get in lots of liquids but have always managed to be hydrated. I don't find that the food washes down with some sips of Fluid during the meal. I don't mean this as new advice or an argument, just one person's experience. As you can see from my ticker my weight loss has been fine.

It sounds like a big deal before the surgery but once you started living it, it just becomes second nature. I don't always wait 30 minutes after a meal to drink. I gauge it by how full I feel at the time and will take some "test sips" to see how it's going to feel before chugging any Water. It's really just a change of habits and not a huge life change for me. It's just how I live now. No biggie.

I agree it's not as big a deal as it seems pre-op. I was worried about the no drinking with meals thing too but it's not so bad. I'm 5 weeks out and I can take a nice size gulp of Water. But if I take 2 or 3 gulps in a row it's a little uncomfortable. I can wait 30 seconds or so then gulp again. I drink right up until I eat then I wait at least 30 minutes to start drinking again. I'm not sure if I buy into the thing about Water washing food down faster, it sounds right but I've heard some people say it doesn't matter. But just to be sure I wait a while after eating.

I do have to carry a water bottle with me everywhere to get in the 64 oz., but now days so many people do so you won't stick out or anything.

The worst part so far has been working outside in this heat and then wanting to drink a whole cup of water in one big gulp and not being able to do it. Just swallow, wait a few seconds, swallow again. It works. Sure water flows on through but when your system is full then where is the water going to go? It takes it a little while to work it's way on down.

My rules are to not drink with meals and to wait 30 minutes after meals to drink.

I follow those rules and it is not hard once you get the hang of it. I started practicing a few months before surgery to make it easier. I have never drink with my meal. bit occasionally will take a sip after my bfast to take my Vitamin. Drinking too soon after eating washes the food thru quickly and can make you feel really uncomfortable becasue you don't have room for both!

I pretty much drink normally now at 3 months out and have for about a month now. I can chug Water without it being an issue. So, you will be able to drink fast and large quanties again...don't worry!

Kelly ;)

3 days post op I accidently gulped Water and ran to the bathroom awaiting certian doom. NOTHING HAPPENED! Now with that said, you will find during meals there will be no room for more than 1 oz of lquids. Not to worry, you will be hungry in a new way that makes you eat before you drink. an hour later, you can drink, even gulp. Maybe not at 2 months, but at 4 monhs yes. Don't sweat it all, your body will guide you!