Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see online all the pre-op diets, some have 2 weeks, some have 3 days, some have none at all.....

So i was thinking, is it really that big of a deal??

Until I met a friend for coffee yesterday. She had a gastric bypass March 3 2011. She has my same surgeon. She said she followed our required 10 day liquid protien diet about 75% of the time.

She woke up and the surgeon said that many other surgeons would have closed her back up cause her liver was still huge and fatty. He said she was lucky he was so seasoned, and they may have had to close her back up and wait until she shrank her liver.

This is motivating me to keep on track with the pre-op diet!

I have 5 more days to go!

Thank you so much for posting this info. I had no idea. I am working on losing as much as I can pre-op so as to lessen the chances of complications. This give me inspiration that I am on the right track and all the work is worth it. Please keep us posted on your journey. Good Luck.

Cut out bad carbs and fat...this will shrink the liver. The bigger it is the longer it will take and the more bruising u will have wjn they move the liver. Good luck!

Oh wow. I had no idea! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, this is good to know. I have been a little worried because my surgeon only requires a 1 day pre-op diet. I think I will go ahead and bite the bullet and go at least a few days pre-op. Better safe than sorry!

I am August 9th too. I have added veggies to my Soup at night....now I am nervous that I may have done something wrong. The nutrtionist had said I could just do an Atkins diet, but the surgeon said I had to do at least 1 week.....I guess I just don't understand how veggies could contribute to a fatty liver????

Good luck to you.

I see online all the pre-op diets, some have 2 weeks, some have 3 days, some have none at all.....

So i was thinking, is it really that big of a deal??

Until I met a friend for coffee yesterday. She had a gastric bypass March 3 2011. She has my same surgeon. She said she followed our required 10 day liquid protien diet about 75% of the time.

She woke up and the surgeon said that many other surgeons would have closed her back up cause her liver was still huge and fatty. He said she was lucky he was so seasoned, and they may have had to close her back up and wait until she shrank her liver.

This is motivating me to keep on track with the pre-op diet!

I have 5 more days to go!

Wow! That is good to know! Thank you so much for sharing! I have started a food journal and dieting even though my surgery isn't until September 30th. I am going to have to cut out as many carbs as I can prior to even the 2 week pre op diet my surgeon requests!

For YOUR safety and rapid healing do a week liquid diet because it helps you in so many ways. The first being it prepares you for life after the surgery. Second it makes the surgery easier for the doctor. Third it cuts down surgery time. Fourth it limits the amount internal bruising for a procedure like this. Fifth its gives you more confidence going into the surgery. Sixth it increases your overall safe during the surgery. Like I tell everyone it's better to be safe than sorry. One mistake could hault progression and lead to months of backpedalling. Leave no room from mistakes. Make the margin for error as low as possible on your part and you will thank yourself later...

Awesome topic! Sometimes, I think this type of thread needs to come up more often. It is informative, and it really allows everyone to share their knowledge. I think it would make a good pinned thread because the "why" behind the pre-op diet can never be overstated.

Why wouldn't you diet before the surgery to help out your liver? If you are changing your life start there, not after surgery.The longer you can diet the better for you.