Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiencing some major self-doubt

Hi Everyone,

I'm scheduled to get sleeved soon, and I'm starting to have some serious doubts. I have around 130lbs to lose and I'm scared I'm spending all this money and won't lose weight. I had moved to Japan for 2 years and while I was there I lost over 90lbs, but as soon as I came back to the states I put it all back on frown.gif We're going back to Japan in a little less than a year where I have to see my in-laws and all my friends and I'm terrified of them seeing me this big. I'm so ashamed. I have failed on every diet I've been on for the last 15 years, and I always end up gaining more weight than I lose. And I am just so angry with myself for getting this big again after having lost so much weight. It seems like people on here really are losing weight with the sleeve but I'm scared. Was anyone else on here feeling like I am before you got sleeved? How are you doing now??

I think most of us have felt that way. I was afraid it would not work for me, that I would not lose weight. I was afraid of the procedure. I was afraid of telling people and lots of other things. I got over them all. This is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Like you, I have lost weight prior to surgery, but I always put it back on. I am now forced, if not to eat the right things to at least eat the right amounts. It has been amazing how motivating the weight lose is to make the right choices. Yes, I do eat bad things sometimes. Yes, sometimes I am in the car and have to eat fast food, but it is much easier to get the chicken sandwich, take off half the bun, if not the whole bun and skip the fries. It is much easier for me to now be in control of my choices. I was scared of the procedure, until I realized that the chances of me having an issue from the surgery were WAY smaller than the chances of me having an issue from the weight if I did not have the surgery. I have a 2 1/2 year old that I want to see grow up, I did it for him.

You'll do great. You will work through your concerns and make the right choice for you. There is a lot of support and information on this site. We have all been where you are now.

Jenny,

It would be more worrisome if you weren't worried about this! If you think about it, we have all found our way to this surgery because we were unsuccessful with keeping weight off. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that a big concern would be whether this will work. I remember saying these same things to my husband before I had surgery. I kept thinking that I was taking the "nuclear" option and that if it didn't work I'd be left with no other option but to be fat forever. He'd shake his head and reassure me once again. :)

Of course, you've got to get your head right and make sure you're figuring out the triggers that have caused you to gain weight back in the past but the surgery will serve as an amazing tool to help you first lose the weight and then keep it off. No regrets here!

Good luck to you!

Amanda

Happy here! My ticker says it all. My friend that had a gastric bypass has had trouble but I've totally fine since about 48 hours post-op. You'll never believe how easy it is to eat very little until you feel it!

Wow, thank you so much for all your kind responses!!heart.gif I feel a lot better knowing that other had the same people had the same doubts and issues before surgery, and looking at all your tickers and seeing how successful you've been makes me a lot more optimistic!!! happy.gif Thanks again so much!!!! I'm going to try and be much more positive from now on and believe in the sleeve!! biggrin.gif

Wow, thank you so much for all your kind responses!!heart.gif I feel a lot better knowing that other had the same people had the same doubts and issues before surgery, and looking at all your tickers and seeing how successful you've been makes me a lot more optimistic!!! happy.gif Thanks again so much!!!! I'm going to try and be much more positive from now on and believe in the sleeve!! biggrin.gif

My surgery is scheduled for August 22. I am sometimes letting fear of the surgery creep in.....No one in my family is obese or had this surgery, and I feel all alone sometimes. No one seems to understand or want to listen when I am scared. I tried to tell my husband that a co-worker (who really does care about me) gave her unasked-for opinion today and it upset me. He just listened and made no real comment. He doesn't understand that I need reassurance and support, emotionally, now. Her comments really got me worrying and then angry with her.

I took a blood test today to check for any stomach bacteria, and then I went to work. She brought the subject up of my surgery and suggested that I was rushing my decision. When I told her I had thought it out completely, she then said I needed to PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! Of course I am praying. I am scared to death sometimes and worried if I am making the right decision, but I am scared to death MOST times of staying this obese. She kind of creeped me out by insinuating that I was taking my life into my own hands unecessarily. Why can't people be "positive" or just keep their mouths shut? This is a big deal to me. Of COURSE I have thought it out.