Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The bottom just fell out :(

As I have said b4 I was relying on my mom and my sis-in-law to watch my boys while I went to mexico. I have been waiting to hear from my sis-in-law. I never doubted she would do it, never thought she would say no. She did. She had very valid reasons and I don't hold it against her but without her help we will have to take the boys with us. My mother can't handle them for a week straight. She was just gonna watch him for a couple days and a few hours during a few other days that week to give my sis-in-law a break. Taking the boys with us tacks another (roughly) $1500 (maybe more) to the trip cost, when we were barely gonna be able to afford it w/o taking them. Also, I don't know how I feel about taking my boys out of the country this young :( At this point I am looking at over $12,000 to do this. I am almost starting to wonder if I shouldn't try again to see if I can find an affordable doc in the states... I don't want to price shop but I can't see myself affording Mexico @ this point. I feel like the bottom has been pulled out from under me :broken_heart::cry_smile:

I am sorry :( I'm sure you are very stressed out. Not sure where you live, but I had my surgery in Louisiana and it was $13,600. That includes a year aftercare and complication coverage. Maybe you could find a surgeon near you that will work with you on the price. I really hope this works out for you....and that its stress free.

As I have said b4 I was relying on my mom and my sis-in-law to watch my boys while I went to Mexico. I have been waiting to hear from my sis-in-law. I never doubted she would do it, never thought she would say no. She did. She had very valid reasons and I don't hold it against her but without her help we will have to take the boys with us. My mother can't handle them for a week straight. She was just gonna watch him for a couple days and a few hours during a few other days that week to give my sis-in-law a break. Taking the boys with us tacks another (roughly) $1500 (maybe more) to the trip cost, when we were barely gonna be able to afford it w/o taking them. Also, I don't know how I feel about taking my boys out of the country this young :( At this point I am looking at over $12,000 to do this. I am almost starting to wonder if I shouldn't try again to see if I can find an affordable doc in the states... I don't want to price shop but I can't see myself affording Mexico @ this point. I feel like the bottom has been pulled out from under me :broken_heart::cry_smile:

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. I wish I had a magic wand to wave and all your problems would be solved. I am pre-op and waiting for approval, so I know the anticipation and the anxiety with wanting this procedure so badly and any road block makes me crazy! Hang in there. We are here if you need to vent!

Thanks ladies. I was just so excited and now to realize this may not happen for me.... Well, my name says what I am feeling right now. "FatTrapped".

You're like a year out from your tentative surgery right? A lot can happen - maybe your inlaws' schedule will open up, or your mom will agree to take them for another few days? There are sleeves available for your price range ($10,500 I assume) in the states, if staying domestic would be an option. If nothing else, don't fret about taking your children out of the country. Docs clear kids for international travel around 6 mos old. I don't believe there are even immunization requirements -- a few regions may require malaria, but not anywhere near a border area.

You're like a year out from your tentative surgery right? A lot can happen - maybe your inlaws' schedule will open up, or your mom will agree to take them for another few days? There are sleeves available for your price range ($10,500 I assume) in the states, if staying domestic would be an option. If nothing else, don't fret about taking your children out of the country. Docs clear kids for international travel around 6 mos old. I don't believe there are even immunization requirements -- a few regions may require malaria, but not anywhere near a border area.

Its moreso price than anything. I worry about taking them across the border because my son HATES holding hands and I worry he will disappear. I may have to get one of those backpack leash things :lol: Price is the biggest issue. We were barely gonna be able to pay for it when it was just the 2 of us. DH and I are trying to figure out a way. He is going so far as to check into cashing in his 401K, but I just don't know if we can make it work...

Cashing in 401K will have longer term consequences. It would be best to avoid if you can (I'm sure you know that tho). Could you do a personal loan, or could someone in your family loan you some money? I'm working on the assumption that you have most of the funds out of pocket, but anything else will be too much of a stretch. If you were already counting on a loan, then disregard. I know a lot of people who have had surgery via loan and most find that the food savings (and even Rx savings) really offset a majority of the payment.

You said, "Taking the boys with us" so I assume you and your husband both plan to go. Would it be possible for you to go by yourself? I know it can physically be done (I know people have soloed it), and that might free up your husband to take care of your kids... and should make it a bit cheaper. I would prefer to have my husband with me, I know, but if I had to I would go by myself.

Have you talked to the hospital about making payments? I pay in lump sum so I personally can't give much info here, but I know that most US hospitals will set up repayment plans -- perhaps MX hospitals will too?

Have you tried something like Care Credit?

COuld you put the excess on an interest free or low interest credit card?

Sorry, I'm not trying to put you on the spot. Please ignore anything that makes you uncomfortable, or you can PM me if you would prefer. I just really believe "where there's a will, there's a way," and maybe there are some avenues you haven't yet thought of.

Have you thought about maybe going alone? I know there are alot of ladies on here that do (and I will be one of them in less than a week!) THat way your husband can look after your boys? I also have 2 young girls (ages 4 and 1) so I wanted to make sure my husband stayed behind to keep an eye on them (MOre so bc I am a stay at home mom, and they are with me ALL the time... not sure how they would act being with anyone else for 5 whole days!!)

Are you sure your insurance will not cover it? Also, keep checking because I have known a few who have found out at the last minute that their insurance began to cover it. Mine has only covered it for a year.

I would think about going it alone or find a sleeve buddy that is having one done the same day to go with.

Or call some local surgeons for their cash price. I know my surgeons cash price is $12,000 hospital and all. And you can make payments.

There are so many options, so let this one little thing bring you down.

Cashing in 401K will have longer term consequences. It would be best to avoid if you can (I'm sure you know that tho). Could you do a personal loan, or could someone in your family loan you some money? I'm working on the assumption that you have most of the funds out of pocket, but anything else will be too much of a stretch. If you were already counting on a loan, then disregard. I know a lot of people who have had surgery via loan and most find that the food savings (and even Rx savings) really offset a majority of the payment.

You said, "Taking the boys with us" so I assume you and your husband both plan to go. Would it be possible for you to go by yourself? I know it can physically be done (I know people have soloed it), and that might free up your husband to take care of your kids... and should make it a bit cheaper. I would prefer to have my husband with me, I know, but if I had to I would go by myself.

Have you talked to the hospital about making payments? I pay in lump sum so I personally can't give much info here, but I know that most US hospitals will set up repayment plans -- perhaps MX hospitals will too?

Have you tried something like Care Credit?

COuld you put the excess on an interest free or low interest credit card?

Sorry, I'm not trying to put you on the spot. Please ignore anything that makes you uncomfortable, or you can PM me if you would prefer. I just really believe "where there's a will, there's a way," and maybe there are some avenues you haven't yet thought of.

As far as anything requiring credit I have been denied for every loan I have tried to get (lack of credit history). My family is poor like me lol, they can't afford to loan anything that would make ANY kind of difference. Payment plans or lump sum will be the same as far as how much we can afford because we plan to save every penny of my $$ once I get a job because DH's check pays the bills and for diapers, etc.

Have you thought about maybe going alone? I know there are alot of ladies on here that do (and I will be one of them in less than a week!) THat way your husband can look after your boys? I also have 2 young girls (ages 4 and 1) so I wanted to make sure my husband stayed behind to keep an eye on them (MOre so bc I am a stay at home mom, and they are with me ALL the time... not sure how they would act being with anyone else for 5 whole days!!)

Frankly it would scare the crap out of me to be perfectly honest.

I am sure that a lot can happen in a year. Maybe you could have a friend go with you instead of your family. Or lots of people go by themselves, you could too. It would save a lot of money, I would go alone, but that is just me.

Keep your chin up, lost of things can happen between now and then!

Maybe you will even find a job that will give you insurance and will pay for the surgery by then!! Who knows!

Kelly ;)