Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi y'all!

Well I went to the drs. today and she said she really thinks I should get a panniculectomy...I know it's not a full Tummy Tuck right? Has anyone here had one? Any information is appreciated :)

Hey Sophia -- I just had a Tummy Tuck and a breast lift/augmentation done 2 weeks ago. I didn't need the panny b/c my skin wasn't *that* bad -- just a regular tummy tuck. the Panny is usually done when the skin hangs below the genital area. Tummy tuck is done with loose/stretched skin/muscles from pregnancy and lots of weight loss. Essentially they're the same surgery, but the panny is more extreme and takes longer (both in surgery and recovery). I had very little pain and recovery has been really simple so far. Look at my link to my youtube videos to see me talk about my plastics :)

I asked my Dr and showed him my rashes n he just gave me cream, wth?? Oh well gotta do this n jump threw hoops I guess. Sophia, that's exciting. Ur gonna be a super model before u know it, hee hee

OK girls I originally got the referral to the OBGYN from Bariatric department because I have some loose skin down there bothering me. So today she said she thinks I should get a panni FIRST and then see what happens, and that would probably help me from feeling blah down there LOL...I did NOT expect this at all. I'm SO SO SCURRED OF THIS THOUGH.

I saw some pics and it's not a normal beautiful Tummy Tuck with a new belly button. It's basically a lower tummy tuck all the way around (I think). BUT IF it will help me feel better down there, I will DO IT! I will keep you posted.

OK girls I originally got the referral to the OBGYN from Bariatric department because I have some loose skin down there bothering me. So today she said she thinks I should get a panni FIRST and then see what happens, and that would probably help me from feeling blah down there LOL...I did NOT expect this at all. I'm SO SO SCURRED OF THIS THOUGH.

I saw some pics and it's not a normal beautiful Tummy Tuck with a new belly button. It's basically a lower tummy tuck all the way around (I think). BUT IF it will help me feel better down there, I will DO IT! I will keep you posted.

Yayayyyy!!! Plastics!! :P Keep us updated! I won't do any type of stomach surgeries for a few years, but I am getting my tatas done... and yes I know I've said that a million times already. When I do though I'll get the Lower body Lift. Oh I'm not looking forward to the pain, but the results will be worth it!!

Anyway, hey whatever makes you feel better, I'm backing you 100%. Go get it miss lady!!!

I was wondering about the panni procedure too. Especially since Kaiser will cover it! I've never been able to find any pictures of a panni without it being a Tummy Tuck so I'm really curious how it will look without any of the tightening of the stomach. I didn't think it went all the way around though. If you have a link to examples, please share, thanks!

I asked my Dr and showed him my rashes n he just gave me cream, wth?? Oh well gotta do this n jump threw hoops I guess. Sophia, that's exciting. Ur gonna be a super model before u know it, hee hee

To get it to qualify as a medical procedure and not a cosmetic procedure, you normally need documented proof of rashes and irritation for approval. This is true whether you are applying for insurance to reimburse or using FSA/HRA/HSA dollars.

Jump through the hoops and be very glad you have a chance for insurance to pay. There is no way I qualify for a medical procedure & I have to come up with the cash. Looking like 2012 for me. :(

Please keep us updated on your progress as you investigate this further. I so want a TT and would really appreciate your thoughts from your journey. BEST OF LUCK!

I think the difference in a TT and a panni is that with the TT the muscles underneath are also tightened and with the panni it is just the skin that is removed. Not 100% positive though. I wish my insurance would cover a panni because I have heard of people going in for the panni and paying the difference to get a full TT.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide. smile.gif

I just want to share to be very careful that they do not pull the skin too tight in your nether regions. I recall very well 2 stories on OH plastics boards a couple of years ago that 2 different patients had panni's done, and some "countouring" with Lipo to their girly bits. One was okay with the results, but she was not happy with the end result because she still had loose skin on her love handle area, and kind of weird end results due to muscles in her lower abdomen that would have been resolved fully with a full tuck. The other lady was extremely upset, they had over-contoured her lady bits area, and stretched the skin too tight, and she ended up with 2-3 additional surgeries to add fat from her butt and to do a skin graph back into that area to give her some relief from the first surgery. With the panni, they essentially pull all the skin up and in from what I've read without messing with the muscles underneath which kind of jacks with the contouring of your natural body shape.

Pretty much, most people are able to get insurance companies to cover the bulk of the fees, and then the patient pays the difference between a panni and a full tuck.

I just want to share to be very careful that they do not pull the skin too tight in your nether regions. I recall very well 2 stories on OH plastics boards a couple of years ago that 2 different patients had panni's done, and some "countouring" with Lipo to their girly bits. One was okay with the results, but she was not happy with the end result because she still had loose skin on her love handle area, and kind of weird end results due to muscles in her lower abdomen that would have been resolved fully with a full tuck. The other lady was extremely upset, they had over-contoured her lady bits area, and stretched the skin too tight, and she ended up with 2-3 additional surgeries to add fat from her butt and to do a skin graph back into that area to give her some relief from the first surgery. With the panni, they essentially pull all the skin up and in from what I've read without messing with the muscles underneath which kind of jacks with the contouring of your natural body shape.

Pretty much, most people are able to get insurance companies to cover the bulk of the fees, and then the patient pays the difference between a panni and a full tuck.

Yikes! Thanks for the 411 Tiffykins! I'm not sure I'm going to go this way. My main thing is to fix what's going on downstairs. The OBGYN is the one that said a panni may benefit me first before doing anything else, and Kaiser will cover that 100% but I will find out if they have an option to do a full Tummy Tuck with the patient paying a portion...I'm scuuurred LOL.

I was wondering about the panni procedure too. Especially since Kaiser will cover it! I've never been able to find any pictures of a panni without it being a Tummy Tuck so I'm really curious how it will look without any of the tightening of the stomach. I didn't think it went all the way around though. If you have a link to examples, please share, thanks!

I just went to google and typed in panniculectomy. Some of the pics of loose skin are incredibly disturbing :(. The procedure is not pretty like a normal tt at all. If I get the referral I will make sure to find out EXACTLY what it entails and let you know.

Wow Sophia, I must agree the pix are rather disturbing. I might just go with full tt and possible fat transfer to my tatas. Hubby is very supportive of this and is willing to pay all outta pocket ohmy.gif. Keep us posted girlie

omg omg omg plastics called me and said they got the referral from my doctor and that all I have to do is take 1 class and then I can schedule the surgery. They are going to send me the information...I really am going to pray about this.

OMG! Funny that our sleeve surgeries didn't go that smoothly. At least go to the class and learn about it. That's great that they offer that. Did they say where the surgeries for this are performed? I know there's a nice Kaiser surgery center in Ontario.