Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just 4 wks post op for lab band

hi, had my first fill yesterday. under flouro. the dr couldn't find the port on Wed. the 5th . it was turned sideways.

i am not having too many problems except really obsessing on food.

i find this annoying. please, does this feeling go away finally. the head hunger is really bad at this point.

any suggestions will help.

thanks.

On my gosh, Tina. I want to know more about your port being sideways. The doc was still able to give you a fill? Do you have to have it repositioned? I'm newly banded, but had no fills yet. "FILL" us in on this!

Terry :confused:

Thank you for responding. Yes, Dr. Babineau was able to access and fill the band the next day under flouroscopy. I was able to see how the port was flipped on the screen. He is a super Dr. The weight is very slow coming off. Kinda discouraging. Have given up cream in coffee and eating tiny portions and walking and much more active than in many yrs. am drinking no calories in fluids. cooking no sugar and very low fat. The only thing i seem to be losing is my hair. have lost about 12 lbs since surgery. its been 1 month now post op. I know it will take time.

So if you have words of encouragement, please respond.

Thanks

TinaH also from TX.

TinaH, I also am having the head hunger problem...I just want to eat because I want to eat... or it taste good. I am also 3 weeks post-op. I hope it goes away...I try to eat good healthy foods and drink low sugar and no cal drinks. It sure is hard though. I am not from Houston but I live about 2 hours from there but I did have my surgery done in Houston. Well, I hope things just go up from here....Good luck!!

It takes time to break a habit but, as you get into the "routine" of eating healthy foods, it really does become easier. I found it a lot easier to make substitutions rather than eliminations. Experiment with healthier ways of making your favorite meals. For example, instead of a mix of chuck beef and ground pork, I now use 90% fat free lean ground beef to make meatballs. I also reduced the size of the meatballs so I eat 2 and trick myself into thinking it's the same as I always ate.

Another trick is to distract yourself. If you're busy doing something you don't think about food so much so take up a new hobby, take a summer adult ed. class, etc. Change your normal routine. Remember to keep hydrated. Many times hunger is not hunger but dehydration.

I know that old bad habits are hard to break. I am excited thinking about the new and exciting things that are going to happen to me just because I am changing my life and my response to life. For too many yrs my response to any emotion positive or negative was to stuff.

I have started to sew again and am thinking of ways to cook more healthy and lower fat. Last night I made a Salmon loaf instead of frying the patties. My daughter and 9 yr old grandson live with me and they pronounced it delicious. So there are good days ahead and I know the wt will come off. I already have so much more energy and "want to" since surgery.

Tina,

I'm just four weeks post-op myself and know exactly what you're going through. I was able to start solids Thursday and all I seem to think about is what can I eat!! I've noticed some foods I used to really enjoy don't seem as appealing after they've been chewed to mush. Guess it's for the best cause it's things I really shouldn't eat anyway. I've not lost any more weight since I started mushies and I'm scared I'll gain since I'm now eating solids. Next week I call to schedule my first fill (they want to make sure you're handling solids). I'm excited about the fill and can't wait to get restriction!! Sounds like you're making positive changes by starting to sew and cooking more healthy. Hang in there!! We'll make it!!

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here and offer you some encouragement. I'm almost one year out now. Head hunger will be a battle you will face time and time again, but less and less often, and you will be more and more successful. This happens over time. PLEASE don't beat yourself up over your little mistakes, and PLEASE give yourself credit when you defeat a food demon! Have patience with yourself while you learn new ways. I am not a perfect bandster and haven't exercised like I should, etc. I am a regular person with food issues, completely grateful for the band, would do it again. You will learn how to handle the issues, if you want to. It's all new to you now, you're learning. You will have to find something else to occupy your mind, so start with that. Keep adjusting as you go. Good luck to all of you!

THANKS so much for the support. you are right about food demons. but, it isn't always difficult. today i went to the healthclub and walked for 62 min on the treadmill. Now, that is an accomplishment. I think it is important to notice each and every positive step that I make. I am seriously thinking about putting my scales away and just weighing when i go to the Dr. To weigh daily is too frustrating as wt fluctuates so.....

This is a new journey. I have many bad habits to eliminate and good habits to develop. Taking tiny bites and chewing very well and putting the fork down between each bite is real helpful.

I can do this. Thanks for your responses. Again, if you have any words of encouragement or helpful hints, I do want to hear from you.

TinaH