Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird complication after revision

I had my revision from band to sleeve on June 4th in Mexico. I started to have an odd feeling where the port used to be I just thought phantom pain no big deal. Then I noticed on the 15th that my incision felt weird, I had a co-worker feel it and I said man I am going to have a lot of scar tissue she couldn't believe how wide the scar tissue felt. It was almost 3 inches wide and went the length of the insicion. RThe next morning I got out of the shower and I had a pinhole in my incision that was gushing blood and wouldn't stop. I was filling up a 2x2 gauze pad in 2 minutes. I went to a clinic still bleeding like a stuck pig and the PA I seen was thrown for a loop. I was bleeding the color of iodine just dark as could be. She called their bariatric surgeon and he wasn't sure what was going on so they sent me to get a CT scan. Where my port had been had pooled with blood and had made a canal to the surface and pushed it's way out. Luckily it pushed it's way out and not in and caused an infection. The PA ended up cutting a larger hole in the incision and pushing all that "old blood" out. I guess when it turns that dark it's old blood, odd. The PA pushed out 10cc's she figured I had already leaked out 4cc, she then packed the hole with what looks like a shoe lace, 2 feet was packed in there. Twice a day 1 pull out 2 inches and cut it off. On weds I go see the surgeon for a check up and to see why this happened. Has anyone else had this happen to them or heard of this happening??

Wow! That's really scary!

Who did your surgery in Mexico?

My surgeon actually told me this could happen and he plans for it by putting a pressure dressing on that site. He said it is because the port rests between the muscle and the skin, it creates an opening there for Fluid to pool after it is removed until that space heals. I had to leave the pressure dresing on for a week.

Glad you are ok and sorry this happened to you. It was frightening I am sure.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. I went to Dr Alanza did my surgery. It's just one of things that's happens I'm just happy I didn't have worse things happen.

EEK! Glad you are doing better. I hope mine doesn't do that!

Patti

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. I went to Dr Alanza did my surgery. It's just one of things that's happens I'm just happy I didn't have worse things happen.

Yikes! Glad you got medical attention and that it is healing better now. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Take care--

I went to a surgeon here yesterday and he said it can happen because of how hard they have to work to get the port out. He said everything looks great on my CT, I'm glad I found a surgeon here that is willing to see me at anytime

So sorry that happened! How are you doing? I had pain where the port was for awhile and sometimes I randomly get pain there. It makes me mad that the band makers say it is reversable. It's just not! I hope you are feeling much better now!

Glad you are feeling better and have had this problem taken care of. How Lucky you are to have a bariatric surgeon that will take you on even though he did not do the revision. You will get through this and all will be well.

Khy

That is scary! I'm also glad you were able to get some medical attention AND find a local surgeon who is willing to work with you. I hope you are feeling better now.

So sorry that happened! How are you doing? I had pain where the port was for awhile and sometimes I randomly get pain there. It makes me mad that the band makers say it is reversable. It's just not! I hope you are feeling much better now!

I'm not a band to sleever, but I started down the road to being banded (yikes!) and credit this board with helping me decide that the sleeve was superior to the band. I keep wondering with all the problems that the band creates, why it is not marketed as TEMPORARY! Because I just don't see it being a long-term solution to obesity. Even my surgeon's nurse had a band and sang it's praises for 5 years. Well, guess what? I just found out that she went and had the RNY done. CRAZY. Of course I don't know all the details (erosion, slippage, etc.?)and I wish her well, but I can think back to all the times that I've heard her just go on and on about how great the band is and now she has had another WLS. That is a crazy story for sure!