Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help from band to sleeve revision folks

My mom has had her lapband for just over 2 years. I'm sitting beside her in the hospital right now. It looks like her band has slipped. We are waiting to hear from the surgeon, but she has pretty much decided on a revision to the sleeve (yay!!). I'd like to get some insite on some of you. I was thinking it would be wise to get the stupid thing taken out and allow her stomach to heal as much as possible before getting the revision. Or does it matter? Any insite would be great. I hate seeing her in pain, but I'm glad she's getting it out. That lapband has been pretty cruel to her.....

If there is swelling she will not be able to get the sleeve until the swelling goes down. My doctor unfilled my band 3 weeks before surgery and then took it out and revised to sleeve in one operation. I hope all goes well with your mom.

My mom has had her lapband for just over 2 years. I'm sitting beside her in the hospital right now. It looks like her band has slipped. We are waiting to hear from the surgeon, but she has pretty much decided on a revision to the sleeve (yay!!). I'd like to get some insite on some of you. I was thinking it would be wise to get the stupid thing taken out and allow her stomach to heal as much as possible before getting the revision. Or does it matter? Any insite would be great. I hate seeing her in pain, but I'm glad she's getting it out. That lapband has been pretty cruel to her.....

I had my band removal and VSG done all in the same surgery; however, my band had been unfilled for several months prior to my surgery. I have heard several people able to have the removal and revision done in one procedure but have heard others that required some healing time after the removal. I guess it will depend on her specific condition.

I was sad when I first decided to do a revision and realized my band wasn't ever going to work the way I thought it was going to...but now I couldn't be happier! I hope all goes well and she gets that band cut out!

Best of luck!

Usually, for about 80%(as an estimate from all the personal stories I've read) of patients are able to have the revision performed in one procedure. An unfill with a wait of 2-6 weeks seems to be the standard protocol for slippage. Removing it and doing the revision in one procedure keeps her from enduring 2 anesthesia procedures, opening her up twice while increasing her risk of infection. However, doing it in 2 procedures is sometimes a necessary process. It really depends on what all has transpired with her band journey. For me, I couldn't have it done in 2 procedures. The damage to my stomach was not reversible, there would not have been any healing of the tissue or relaxing of the tissue. The band had partially eroded into my stomach, and the scar tissue was too severe to even think of doing it in 2 procedures.

Best wishes to your mom ! ! !

Thanks for the advice. Mom's not doing too great. A CT scan shows the band has slipped down to the bottom of her stomach and is now blocking her bowels. From the throwing up that occurred, she also has pneumonia in both lungs. There is no choice but removal surgery. The surgeon is not in the hospital until tomorrow, so she's in alot of pain until then. Unfortunately, they don't have a bed for her yet and ,as of last night, was still in emergency. Has anyone else had this happen? Any words of encouragement?

Wow Fern, I'm am sorry that your mom is going through this. I hope the doctor is able to do something for her soon! I had my revision in one procedure but I would trust what the doctor says and if you don't trust him, I would get a second opinion. I had problems with my band but nothing like what you mom is going through so I think everyone's situation is different. I hope she gets to feeling better and send her best wishes!

Thanks new beginnings. Unfortunately, because she's in the hospital, there is only one doctor that can do that kind of surgery. So a 2nd opinion isn't really an option. I'm glad it's coming out though. She's always getting things stuck and had been starting to regain quite a bit. I Hope surgery is quick ( and liproscopic)