Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

False hunger from acid

So, I have been told by many and read that acid produces feelings of false hunger. I am relieved becasue I always thought that I was just a hungry hungry person.

I eat and 20-40 minutes later, I am starving again!! I had prayed that the sleeve would cure this problem, but I am still this way. It seems the more Water I drink, the worse I get! I feel so defeated!

I am going to see my surgeon tomorrow for my checkup and am going to ask him to either change my PPI, I take 40mg of Nexium twice a day, to something else or give me something in addition to it.

So, my question is this. Have any of you had this hunger issue and has it been resolved with a PPI? Nexium works great for controlling that acid issue in my throat, but obviously not in my stomach. I have taken it for about 6 years tho, maybe I just need to switch to something else!

I definatly am not hungry, but I sure do feel like I am starving all of the time and it DRIVES ME INSANE!!

Kelly :(

There are times where I can't tell if I'm hungry or full...........makes no sense to someone who hasn't been sleeved. I just kinda time it. If I ate a while ago, then I know I'm really hungry. If I just walked away from the table a few minutes ago, I know it's just false hunger. I would try some of the low cal/low fat Snacks that you are able to eat right now just to satisfy the "hunger crave" or maybe drink more liquids.

So, I have been told by many and read that acid produces feelings of false hunger. I am relieved becasue I always thought that I was just a hungry hungry person.

I eat and 20-40 minutes later, I am starving again!! I had prayed that the sleeve would cure this problem, but I am still this way. It seems the more Water I drink, the worse I get! I feel so defeated!

I am going to see my surgeon tomorrow for my checkup and am going to ask him to either change my PPI, I take 40mg of Nexium twice a day, to something else or give me something in addition to it.

So, my question is this. Have any of you had this hunger issue and has it been resolved with a PPI? Nexium works great for controlling that acid issue in my throat, but obviously not in my stomach. I have taken it for about 6 years tho, maybe I just need to switch to something else!

I definatly am not hungry, but I sure do feel like I am starving all of the time and it DRIVES ME INSANE!!

Hey Kelly, my surgeon had me on Nexium as soon as I was sent home from surgery. I would take it and I don't think it really worked all that great for me. I did talk to my PCP about it and she just tried to give me more Nexium. That was when I decided after reading around here to try certain other brands because when one brand doesn't work, usually another will. I then tried Prilosec (Omeprazole) and have been hooked ever since. It really does work amazingly well for me. Though I've noticed I get the bubble throats lately. I'm thinking of starting to take it twice per day to see if that helps. I'm going to email my Dr.'s to see if this would be advisable, as my PCP is really no help when it comes to things like this.

Good luck to you!

I got the best acid control when I switched to Zegerid OTC. I was on Nexium after surgery, then Prilosec. They were OK, but I would still have evening acid. I bought the Zegerid on sale with a coupon and it worked so well, I never switched back.

good luck!!!!

I take omeprazole (prilosec) prescribed when I came home- once a day in the morning when I wake up. I haven't had an acid problem and I have zero hunger.

Edited to add- I also know if I do not wait 2-3 hours between my 1/4 cups I will not be able to eat it all. SO I time my meals. Without hunger I simply would not eat but I know that is not good!

Well, because of my acid I feel hungry all of the time and feel as if I could eat all the damn time!!! That is kinda defeating the purpose of the surgery in a BIG way!

I can not take Prlosec, makes me feel very sick! I tried that years ago before Nexium. I may give the Zegrid a shot if the Dr. says I can. I see him tomorrow in the a.m., I will let you all know what he says!

Thanks

I take omeprazole (prilosec) prescribed when I came home- once a day in the morning when I wake up. I haven't had an acid problem and I have zero hunger.

Edited to add- I also know if I do not wait 2-3 hours between my 1/4 cups I will not be able to eat it all. SO I time my meals. Without hunger I simply would not eat but I know that is not good!

Just an idea, when you're feeling that hunger kick in, what about taking a sip of Gaviscon to see if it goes away? Then you would know if it really is acid or if you're seriously hungry. I was suffering horribly with hot acid bubbles in my throat and my esophagus on fire and my tummy seriously pissed off before I swallowed the Gaviscon and it helped a lot! No heartburn now, no acid reflux. I take the Nexium 3 times a day (20 mg each) just to stay on top of it because it was so horrible, but the gaviscon really did work miracles.

I second the Gaviscon, it works really well for in between PPI doses or when acid flares a bit. Also, I have found that Protonix (pantoprazole) is for me by far the best PPI. I mean, they're all the same class of drug, but they just work differently on different people.

PS -- I also get hungry a lot -- about as much as I did pre-op. It is easier to ignore it now for some reason...?

I've never heard of protonix, is that available in the US? Keep in mind I never really suffered from real heartburn or acid reflux until post-op, so I'm not real up to date on the ppi's that are available.

yes protonix is available in the US, i don't know how expansive it is though.

I've never heard of protonix, is that available in the US? Keep in mind I never really suffered from real heartburn or acid reflux until post-op, so I'm not real up to date on the ppi's that are available.

To curb my hunger I eat these popsicles that are only 15 calories and 0 everything else.. and they're really satisfying.. and If I eat 3 or 4 for the day I don't feel bad whatsoever. I'm not a sweet person at all, but they definitely work for me.

http://www.unileverusa.com/brands/foodbrands/popsicle/index.aspx

Not all of them are sugar-free, so make sure to look at the nutrition facts if you're thinking of buying them.