Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded, thinking about revision

Hi I’m new here. I was banded 7/05, was doing well for 17 months when my band slipped. I lost down to my surgeons goal weight for me because I was barfing my brains out for a few weeks and had pneumonia. Life was complicated at the time and I just didn’t put all the pieces together, duh. I had the slipped band repositioned and it just hasn’t worked right since. I have a tiny bit of fill that doesn’t give me restriction and have lots of heartburn and reflux. They’ve checked the positioning twice and it’s the same as when they fixed it. I gained 10 pounds right away, slowly put on 15 and now after I had a hysterectomy last year I’m 50 pounds heavier than when they repositioned my band. Makes me so upset with myself. Unfortunately, I can eat normal size meals and nearly any type of food EXCEPT dense Protein, go figure, and I often justdon’t feel well after I eat.

I’ve made an appointment to get unfilled to see if my heartburn and reflux improves and another appointment with my surgeon to see about a revision. I would like to get the sleeve, but from what I’ve read here my insurance won’t approve a revision to the sleeve. I haven’t decided if I’m willing to go RNY, it scared me in 2005 and still does. I think I am brave enough to self-pay and go to Mexico, but I’m not sure if my hubby will be so keen on that. He’s very supportive of me getting either revision, he wants me to feel good about myself.

I have some questions if anyone is willing.

* What kind of weight loss results are you getting from the sleeve?

* Does losing with the sleeve take complete focus, or can you just go on with life making good (not perfect) choices and lose weight? (does it always feel like you are dieting?)

* Do you have heartburn or reflux?

* Did you have it with the band?

Thanks!

Hi Smarty,

I posted many of the same questions on here about a month ago and never did get answers. I also had the band put in 5/2008 and lost an initial 90 lbs. But the last 2 years my allergies have been worse and besides being plagued with reflux when my band had restriction, I would (watch out TMI) throw up mucus all night from the sinus drainage. Sometimes during the day when it wouldn't allow my food to go down blocking my stoma. I kept off the weight for 2 1/2 years and over the last 6 months have put back on about 15 lbs. So I know how frustrating this band can be. I'm on my liver shrinking diet now with surgery scheduled for 6/20 to get a sleeve when my band is taken out. All in one surgery. I'm worried about any damage all the throwing up has caused my esophagus, reflux and the many bouts with esophagitus I've had over the years. I'm asking if they will scope my throat while in there. And of course worried about any damage all this time and throwing up has caused my stomach where the band is.

I was self pay with the band and am again self pay with the VSG and band removal. When I had my band put in I had hoped any additional surgeries would have been cosmetic but all my savings is going into getting this blasted band out of me. I too am post hysterectomy and have just been diagnosed with a hypothyroid (mild cause so far) so I am concerned how this will all affect my weight loss with the sleeve. I'm assuming it will be a constant thoughtful way of eating and exercising to get the rest of my eight off and keep it off. Although I have gained a little of my weight back getting any of it off even with the liver shrinking diet is slow to nill. <_< (Thinking it's the thyroid here that's the problem) But I know that without this sleeve I will surely gain it all back so I'm accepting this TOOL to help me get healthier.

I hope this helps you some, and good luck with your decision.

Gloria

I was banded in 2006, lost 60lbs initially but now gained it all back after having a baby. Threw up almost every meal for the past 5 years, heartburn/reflux almost every day, etc. I was self pay as well. Found out a couple weeks ago that my band has partially slipped and can slip completely at any given moment which would then cause me to have to go into an emergency surgery if that happens. I am DONE with this band. I am scheduled to have a revision from band to sleeve next week in Mexico with Dr. Aceves. I cannot wait to have this band out and hopefully start feeling better. I truly belive the sluggish/fatigue feeling I constantly have is from this band that has caused me nothing but trouble. I know some people have had great success with it, but a lot of people have had the same problems as you and I. I hope all works out for you.

I really cannot answer your questions now, but I will be more than happy to answer them all after next week, once I am sleeved.

Good Luck!