Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I was banded in 2008 and did great the first six months to a year. The bad: Ended up going through a really bad divorce, moved (away from my doctor), lost all my benefits, couldn't find a doctor in my new area (moved) to take on existing Lapband patients. To make a long story short - had no follow-up, got unfilled, ate like a fiend (I blame the love of food and stress) and regained all of my weight back plus x (I've lost count). The good: Finally found a doctor that would take me on as an existing patient, am out of an abusive and negigent marriage and ready to take on life. My kids are save and I'm married now to a supportive and loving man.

I was so proud of myself my first year banded. I even ran and completed a 5k (which no one showed up for - ex-husband & his family. He wouldn't even bring my kids - which I begged him to do). I finally had my life back. I got down to 219 in November 2010 - my goal was 160. At that point, my weight loss stopped. I found a way to "eat around my band", sliders - soda, everything I knew I shouldn't eat. I'm very much an emotional eater and as my marriage crumbled my weight went up and up...I finally found the strength to leave and doing so left my band "maintenance". To me my children's safety as well as my own were more important than me being fat and unhappy.

In the middle of all my marriage problems, I met my soulmate and my current husband. He treats both me and my children as we should be treated. My body is now holding me back from the life I want to lead. I want to be active, I want to be healthy - being 280 pounds is not geting me there. We both have things we want to do. I really don't think I'd be here now if it weren't for my hubby. He gives me strength and supports me 100% in whatever decision I decide to make.

Now you've had my personal background...here's my band. I went one time after moving back to my original band doctor - I had pneuomnia and bad reflux - they took out all of my Fluid. Afterward I spend weeks calling every doctor in the panhandle of Florida - time and time again to hear that they won't take on existing patients. I finally found a doctor in Pensacola that agreed to see me. He was able to get me a fill (only 1 cc at a time) back in November 2010. Of course he freaked when he found out my port was in my chest (which is where all my old doctor's patients have it). He wanted to move it but agreed to work with me. I went back in March for my second fill. Seems my port has flipped (again - had original port revised in July 2008 for the same problem) - and he cannot access it. So we decide it is time to move the port for revision. Seems BCBS won't pay for revision until July (pre-existing condition which is nill once my insurance is effect for a year). So I patiently wait. I called back a month ago - still having pain in my chest and reflux. He orders and upper GI to find out what is going on with me. Now he says the band has to go.

So now I'm waiting to hear back from his office to see if the insurance will cover the sleeve or removal (they would cover the port revision). I'm terrified not to have my band (which in point is useless to me anyway), but I'm also very nervous about the Sleeve. I'm doing my due dillagence and research to see if it is for me. I'm past ready to start living my life. I don't think the band is for me and feel like such a failure and I don't want to feel like this anymore. I'm sick of tired of being sick and tired.

Welcome Leslie! congratulations on getting yourself and your children out of a bad situation!

I'm kinda new here too but I have a band and its coming out on Friday! I am having revision surgery at the same time and I.Cannot.Wait. I had my band put in last year in March in Mexico. The hardest part was finding a doctor to take care of my after-care. I found the best doctor on the east coast of FL and he will be doing my surgery! I've lost most of the weight I need to lose with the band, 53 lbs, and have maybe another 15 to go. The problem is I've had so many fill/unfill issues. My body does not respond to a tight band. I have to take 90 % of credit for losing the weight. I am so determined and I've exercised and dieted my way down the scale but I've had enough and I know I need the help of the sleeve to get off the rest and mainly to keep it off!

I hope your insurance covers your surgery and I hope you choose to revise to the sleeve. I am so excited to being part II of my journey.

Hello everyone,

I was banded in 2008 and did great the first six months to a year. The bad: Ended up going through a really bad divorce, moved (away from my doctor), lost all my benefits, couldn't find a doctor in my new area (moved) to take on existing Lapband patients. To make a long story short - had no follow-up, got unfilled, ate like a fiend (I blame the love of food and stress) and regained all of my weight back plus x (I've lost count). The good: Finally found a doctor that would take me on as an existing patient, am out of an abusive and negigent marriage and ready to take on life. My kids are save and I'm married now to a supportive and loving man.

I was so proud of myself my first year banded. I even ran and completed a 5k (which no one showed up for - ex-husband & his family. He wouldn't even bring my kids - which I begged him to do). I finally had my life back. I got down to 219 in November 2010 - my goal was 160. At that point, my weight loss stopped. I found a way to "eat around my band", sliders - soda, everything I knew I shouldn't eat. I'm very much an emotional eater and as my marriage crumbled my weight went up and up...I finally found the strength to leave and doing so left my band "maintenance". To me my children's safety as well as my own were more important than me being fat and unhappy.

In the middle of all my marriage problems, I met my soulmate and my current husband. He treats both me and my children as we should be treated. My body is now holding me back from the life I want to lead. I want to be active, I want to be healthy - being 280 pounds is not geting me there. We both have things we want to do. I really don't think I'd be here now if it weren't for my hubby. He gives me strength and supports me 100% in whatever decision I decide to make.

Now you've had my personal background...here's my band. I went one time after moving back to my original band doctor - I had pneuomnia and bad reflux - they took out all of my Fluid. Afterward I spend weeks calling every doctor in the panhandle of Florida - time and time again to hear that they won't take on existing patients. I finally found a doctor in Pensacola that agreed to see me. He was able to get me a fill (only 1 cc at a time) back in November 2010. Of course he freaked when he found out my port was in my chest (which is where all my old doctor's patients have it). He wanted to move it but agreed to work with me. I went back in March for my second fill. Seems my port has flipped (again - had original port revised in July 2008 for the same problem) - and he cannot access it. So we decide it is time to move the port for revision. Seems BCBS won't pay for revision until July (pre-existing condition which is nill once my insurance is effect for a year). So I patiently wait. I called back a month ago - still having pain in my chest and reflux. He orders and upper GI to find out what is going on with me. Now he says the band has to go.

So now I'm waiting to hear back from his office to see if the insurance will cover the sleeve or removal (they would cover the port revision). I'm terrified not to have my band (which in point is useless to me anyway), but I'm also very nervous about the Sleeve. I'm doing my due dillagence and research to see if it is for me. I'm past ready to start living my life. I don't think the band is for me and feel like such a failure and I don't want to feel like this anymore. I'm sick of tired of being sick and tired.