Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped band, considering revision to VSG

Anyone I know from LBT? :) I'm a long time member & mod over there. I see a few names I recognize.

I was just diagnosed today with a slipped band. I'm suspecting I"ve been slipped for about 2 years now, since that's about when my "weird" symptoms started which led to the eventual diagnosis. I presented very atypically compared to your typical case of slippage - even the symptoms I did have were inconsistent so it took a while for me to realize it wasn't just me doing something wrong, and for them to realize it wasn't just me doing something wrong. But "atypical" pretty much sums up my life with the band, so there's no surprise.

I've been told it's a pretty significant slip with no real chance of repositioning itself. But since my only real complication (so far, at least that I know of) is occasional nighttime reflux on occasion, I've been given the option to keep the band in and ride it out (and possibly pursue fills again, if I can tolerate them). Since the band is not in the position it's supposed to be in, I'm dubious about what that would look like long term. I was also told that my scar tissue is likely too significant for a replacement band, and that my surgeon doesn't really like to reband in the case of "mysterious" slips due to the high number of secondary failures.

He suggested I consider a revision to VSG, which I had already been considering. I always like to know my plan B ahead of time. After a handful of years, it's really weird to be on the newbie side of it, struggling to find answers to my questions. Different insurance company than I had under the band, different type of commitment. It's been a long time since I was at square 1 (ok, I'm pretty good about quantity, chewing, etc... so perhaps not quite 1...)

I've been here once before but it was a while ago, when I first started suspecting I was the victim of a slip, so I thought I should say a fresh "hi" and orient myself a bit.

I had the lap band for about a one and half yr . I had 2 adjustments with the end results that it had to come out. When it was removed my dr wanted me to heal some before I had a revision, during that time my company switch ins and the new plan cigna didn't cover was, now it do and I am schedule for the sleeve July 5. I am really looking forward to it because my body never accepted the band even though I lost over 80lbs.I. I was always aware of the band in my body.

I had a full slip. My stomach went right through the band, causing it to clamp off the bottom of the stomach. Please be careful. I couldn't even swallow my saliva, had incredible pain. I had emergency surgery to have it removed.

Here I am a year and a half later, and I am so happy I converted to the sleeve. I live like a normal person, just eat less. The sleeve is everything that the band wasn't. It amazing how great I feel. food does not get stuck and I have no vomiting at all. Good Luck on your decision.

Welcome! I'm sorry that you are having problems with your band. :( I can tell you that even though I did not go through major complications like some of the other members here, I was estatic to get that horrible band out of my body. Two and a half years I spent struggling and feeling like a failure because my band was so inconsistent. My sleeve doctor thought I had a concentric slip but my band doctor was adamant that there was nothing wrong with it. I revised to the sleeve a little over two months ago and have been so happy with my results. As you can see by my ticker, my weight loss has been pretty good and there are NO inconsistencies with the sleeve. I can only eat so much, and that is it. It is that magical elusive sweet spot that I had been looking for in the band and never found. I can tell you my quality of life has already improved by at least 50% and I'm sure it's going to keep on getting better. I'm not trying to sound like a sales person but I really love what the sleeve is doing for me and I want to tell the world! I hope you find a solution that is best for you and I am sending best wishes your way! Keep us updated on what you decide! :)

I am going thru the psych deal you have to and wondering how to word what I need. Im afraid he will just say you failed with the band so what makes you think you'll do better with the band?

redmtn - I am not required to have a psych eval, so I'm not sure how to advise you. My motto with psychologists in general is to be honest. Since the band isn't generally removed "just because," there's not really any criteria for failure. I'm guessing your band was removed for cause, in which case there's a medical necessity. That's not failure. If you are non-compliant, that may be different, but again -- I've never heard of someone having a band removed specifically because of non-compliance. (That should be treated through a program of behavioral change, not through surgical removal).

I've not yet seen any way to link a particular incident to a particular band complication, so direct action & consequence reaction doesn't really apply -- again, no way to indicate "failure." For example, my father's band slipped while he was in the hospital for gastroparesis. His band most likely slipped due to his vomiting. It can't be "proven," and it certainly couldn't be linked to a particular incident of vomiting unless he had been under continuous fluoro.

Much different (interesting) experiences you have all shared. I like my band, it's just not really able to help me much anymore. I've fallen into that vicious cycle of -- solid foods are either uncomfortabe or impossible, so I'm going to drink something, or eat this soft food, or...

I don't like the option of just leaving it there (because what's it doing that I can't see? Or when will that day come when eek I erode? Or...) And I know I'm not capable of maintaining long term weightloss on my own. Well, maybe I am, but I've never yet been successful on my own -- so I have no reason to think it would be any different now. (I postponed WLS for about 6 years, each time by saying "If I can't do it on my own by [date], then I will have the surgery... I did that about 10 times).

I was able to lose about 175 lbs with the band. I gained back about 60 with a pregnancy, and there I sit. I've lost a couple, I've gained a couple. At least I can maintain. I could never do that before. I've been told I failed because I never reached goal, but I just dont see that logic.

I am going thru the psych deal you have to and wondering how to word what I need. Im afraid he will just say you failed with the band so what makes you think you'll do better with the band?

You know it's funny because I went in for my 2 month post op appt today and my doctor actually told me he was very surprised at my weight loss. I guess he didn't think I would be doing as well as I am. I guess because I had problems with my band, he thought I would have 'problems' with my sleeve but I havent. I am the exact opposite. I think everyone was very happy with my progress, which gives me a definate ego boost. Plus I told them that I am also working really hard at it too, not just eating small amounts but working out regularly (so that helps). I don't see how they can give you a hard time about it considering the low success rate of the band and the amount of people going in for revisions.

Hi Wheetsin. I was SickNTired on LBT. I too am looking at revising from this crapband to a VSG. Last year, I was approved for the LB removal and every surgery except the sleeve. My surgeon's office has confirmed that they will pay for a sleeve this year so YAY!!! Where are you in your process?

My fills were never good. All my surgeons could say was that I was super sensitive. I never got to the level of fill that he wanted and more than once after a fill, I'd be up by midnight dry heaving for hours. One night, I was sick for 12 hours straight. Then when I wasn't around a fill, I'd either be able to eat a horse or be PBing like crazy. It got to the point where different friends would tell me that they were worried about me b/c I would PB so "often." So, needless to say, I've never been in love with my band!

My next steps are: sleep study (yuk-never had one but heard they aren't much fun), dietician appointment, and then meet with my surgeon. It's just dawned on me that she didn't mention getting a fluoro or upper GI. While I'm using the same surgeon, wouldn't he want to make sure to know what he's getting into? Anyway, I digress.

A local radio station has begun running commercials for the Realize band and it just irritates me so badly. I just yell at the radio when I hear them!!!! Anyway, welcome to VST!