Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How sweet it is

As I read the forum and see different bits of advice I can't help wondering how on earth many of you can drink and eat some of the stuff that is listed. This isn't a slam, I just really can't figure out how adding Torani Syrup or crystal light to other stuff that is already mega sweet with artificial sweeteners could make it more palatable. The only way I can tolerate crystal light is by using less than 1/4 of those little packets in my Water and even then, I find it sweet and usually can't drink the whole thing. Do you think some people's taste buds are extra sensitive to artificial sweeteners? Don't get me wrong, I love sweet, cotton candy is fabulous and I don't find it too sweet, but if the choice is unsweetened tea or tea with sweetener, I woudl much rather have the unsweetened. Even with the Protein powders, if they ask for 6 oz of water or milk, I use about 14 and still find them too sweet. I am having a hard time finding any that are not sweetened at all. My worry is that people build up a tolerance to sweetener and find they can have more and more of it since it is guilt free? Has anyone else found this to the be the case?

Post op everything was way too sweet. Another VSG buddy said everything was too salty. So yes, you tastebuds change. I used to Water down my G2 (low calorie/sugar) Gatorade, use minicule amounts of crystal light. Hated those Protein drinks, everything was so sweet I was gagging. I tried Isopure clear protien 40 gram from GNC - Apple melon ONLY for flavor. Expensive but I was getting in my Protein since all the other shakes were either too sweet or thick.

PS- I am back to full strenth for everything again. This is a journey and things are ever changing.

That's like me, Autumn. I add quite a bit more liquid because they are so sweet. I can't help thinking it can't be good for you, either my brain is going to think it's sugar and tell my body to deal with it as sugar or something. I wish they would just let us sweeten our own stuff. I do know that spirutein carries one that is unsweetened (you add your own sweetener), I have a small pack but I haven't tried it yet. Even pre-op I thought that artificial sweetener stuff was way too sweet, now it is actually less sweet, but I don't want my body to get used to that.