Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op and Post op Full Liquid diet

Hi All-

I've read so many great posts here I decided to ask YOU, the experts. My pre-op consists of 3 days, full liquids, which I understand should be low calorie. Basically we're starving ourselves for 3 days to shrink our livers so surgery is easier. Post -Op when I'm on Full liquids for 5, yes, 5 weeks I'm wondering if I need to really worry about the carbs? I know I will search for low fat, low calorie, lower sodium but the Soups all have tons of carbs as do alot of other things. Aside from boiling Water and adding some onion, celery and chicken and cooking until it falls apart and then pureeing I don't know how to do LOW carbs except for only drinking Protein Shakes.

What has everyone done and what has worked best for you? Thanks for your insight! :rolleyes:

Hi - congrats on your upcoming VSG surgery. Preop - I was on a preop diet for 2 weeks and did not cheat once. What torture but the results are incredible.

Post op - Ask your surgeon and see if he has guidlines. I followed Tiffykins advice and after surgery limited my carbs to no more than 30 carbs a day until I hit goal with just a few execptions. Goal was reached in 5 months and I credit this to watching carbs, excercising and eating correctly.

Do you have a VSG diet for preop and post with recommendations of what to eat and what not to eat? If not, you can send me a private message with your email address and I will forward what I have collected. Otherwise google VSG diet and there are several from good places such as Northwest, Cornell and others. Best wishes!

Every bariatric group/nut does it a little differently. I can tell you I am not following my NUT's guidelines and pre op diet exactly because I think it is way too high in carbs. Now, I'm not advocating not following your NUT and dr's advice, but the main goal is to shrink your liver. I'm sure I can do that and have done that without following the set guidelines to a tee.

My pre op diet is 9 days of mostly liquids, but they also have 1/2c cott cheese, 1c. fruit juice and one small piece of fruit on the list per day. I'm probably just going to do liquids with a little lf cottage cheese as needed and cut the fruits. There are carbs in the milk and Protein drink.

Hi All-

I've read so many great posts here I decided to ask YOU, the experts. My pre-op consists of 3 days, full liquids, which I understand should be low calorie. Basically we're starving ourselves for 3 days to shrink our livers so surgery is easier. Post -Op when I'm on Full liquids for 5, yes, 5 weeks I'm wondering if I need to really worry about the carbs? I know I will search for low fat, low calorie, lower sodium but the Soups all have tons of carbs as do alot of other things. Aside from boiling Water and adding some onion, celery and chicken and cooking until it falls apart and then pureeing I don't know how to do LOW carbs except for only drinking Protein shakes.

What has everyone done and what has worked best for you? Thanks for your insight! :rolleyes:You don't want carbs or sugar. I did 18 days of preop diet: General rule is 60-80g of Protein each day. Also do your Vitamins. I prepped lean cuts of meats and fish by roasting or very light saute using ev olive oil. I use alot of sugar free jellos that I will stir in my Greek nonfat yogurt into--or the nonfat cot cheese tastes great in the Jello, too. To puree, first cook the food, use some of that broth or juice to run all into your blender for puree--about like jr baby food. I don't use cow's milk but soy or Almond Breeze light is a good mixer for blending foods and making your shakes postop. I ate canned tuna, light string cheese, and really loved the jellos. Also sugar free popsicles are good for between time hunger pain. It is important that you plate your foods pleasingly--to take boredom out of this process. I also used low salt chicken broth or beef broth to sip on. It was not a bad experience for me, but I really missed chewing--not a gum chewer. Propel Zero is very good, or Powerade Zero--now that I am out of hosp, I find plain filtered Water suits me also. :P