Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello.

I recently decided to switch doctors from Ortiz to Sanchez...my date is set for August 1st with the Diamond Package. I'd like to hear your opinion, good or bad, regarding Dr. Sanchez. I believe that all Dr.s, even the good ones, have some sort of conflict/criticism and I'd like to see what's out there with Dr. Sanchez.

Thanks for your help!

Courtney

Hey there, I'm looking into Sanchez (and Rumbaut, too), I've read great stuff about both of them -- but I find myself wanting to hear the not-so-perfect stories as well. So far I can't find anything. I will post what I can dig up and hopefully some LBT peeps will give us the info, too.

Courtney,

I was banded by Dr. Sanchez on 5/25/06. I live in Montana and had done research for over a year. My experience with the entire surgery with him was wonderful. My husband was not thrilled with me going to MX to have surgery but he commented to the Dr. that I had received wonderful care and he would have no reservations coming back. For my husband this is HUGE to admit. Dr. Sanchez's staff was wonderful and willing to help me in anyway needed. Make sure you have follow up care ready for when you return. Some Dr's will not take a patient from MX. I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat. Best wishes. Sharon

I can't give you an opinion yet but I did lots of research and it was between Ortiz and Sanchez and the hospital in my opinion in Monterrey is bigger and that is why I chooze Dr. Sanchez and because everything I heard about him was brilliant and his office staff are all fabulous. I think Dr. Ortiz and Sanchez are both wonderful doctors in my humble opinion. I will know first hand after Monday.

Best of luck,

Sherri

I have also not been banded yet, but will be getting banded on monday. But I tried to find bad stories too, just to hear the worse to balance out the best. and I honestly couldn't find any. It was sort of frustrating. LOL

Also, there is a yahoo group called 'Struggling Bandsters' and I found a post where a person's band (placed by Sanchez) had slipped and was removed. This was back in 2000. Here is what the person wrote:

Two surgeons (on my insurance plan) in the U.S. tried to find a way to get my slipped band back in proper position without surgery. Neither of them had ever put in a band; and both were reluctant to work on a patient whose band had been placed in Mexico before the US approved it here.

When they learned that Dr. XXX had placed my band, they both looked at each other funny. One of them said "Another one of XXX's."

I always wondered if they thought Dr. XXX's technique was wrong. Does any one know if the surgical technique has changed? Do any of you know whether later bands have been placed with different tubing, ports, stitches, etc.? I guess I am really asking, "Do you know if there have been any significant changes since 2000 when mine was placed?" Thank you.

Also, there is a yahoo group called 'Struggling Bandsters' and I found a post where a person's band (placed by Sanchez) had slipped and was removed. This was back in 2000. Here is what the person wrote:

Two surgeons (on my insurance plan) in the U.S. tried to find a way to get my slipped band back in proper position without surgery. Neither of them had ever put in a band; and both were reluctant to work on a patient whose band had been placed in Mexico before the US approved it here.

When they learned that Dr. XXX had placed my band, they both looked at each other funny. One of them said "Another one of XXX's."

I always wondered if they thought Dr. XXX's technique was wrong. Does any one know if the surgical technique has changed? Do any of you know whether later bands have been placed with different tubing, ports, stitches, etc.? I guess I am really asking, "Do you know if there have been any significant changes since 2000 when mine was placed?" Thank you.

PeloRojo...

How did you know that they were talking about Dr. Sanchez? I'm asking since all the references to the Dr's name were X'd out. The weird thing is that I had originally scheduled with Ortiz due to the price and word of mouth. Then, I started feeling strange about my decision and started looking else where...then FunnyDuddies introduced me to Sanchez....I've never been soo at ease with my decision as I am right now! Since you can't predict complications, I decided to go with the Diamond package which included my airfare for the surgery and follow-up! He also has connections to Dr's here in Washington state that I can go to if an emergency happens......:clap2:

Courtney,

I was banded by Dr. Sanchez on 5/25/06. I live in Montana and had done research for over a year. My experience with the entire surgery with him was wonderful. My husband was not thrilled with me going to MX to have surgery but he commented to the Dr. that I had received wonderful care and he would have no reservations coming back. For my husband this is HUGE to admit. Dr. Sanchez's staff was wonderful and willing to help me in anyway needed. Make sure you have follow up care ready for when you return. Some Dr's will not take a patient from MX. I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat. Best wishes. Sharon

Thank you Sharron for sharing! What package did you opt for with Sanchez? How are you feeling now.....any problems/complications?

My old band was an AMI-swedish band that was installed 8/14/03 by Dr. Sanchez. After about 6 months and 4 fills I had a flouro/X-ray check which revealed a kink in the tubing. Well I suspected a leak, then confirmed it over 4 months later in mex, cause Dr. Sanchez recomended I go see him. At that visit the tubing was repaired and I was given a 7cc fill (big band), a month later my doctor (McKeen) here in Calif. did a flouro fill and that's when we saw that the repair didn't work. Back to mex I went and Dr. Sanchez decided to reband me, free (the makers of the AMI band is paying for it). I was rebanded with the 9.75 (smaller) Inamed band, big difference. I felt restriction right away. I couldn't gulp anymore either.

I'm very happy with my new band. I've only had one fill in 8/05 of 1.3cc's and still feel restriction. I'm 3lbs. from goal.

I adore Dr. Sanchez and his staff. When my band was leaking and I was crying on the phone to him and he alway told me he'd take care of me and he did.

Being that I live in California, I could have easily went to TJ and had Ortiz or Kuri band me.

Dr. Sanchez is one of the best!

My old band was an AMI-swedish band that was installed 8/14/03 by Dr. Sanchez. After about 6 months and 4 fills I had a flouro/X-ray check which revealed a kink in the tubing. Well I suspected a leak, then confirmed it over 4 months later in mex, cause Dr. Sanchez recomended I go see him. At that visit the tubing was repaired and I was given a 7cc fill (big band), a month later my doctor (McKeen) here in Calif. did a flouro fill and that's when we saw that the repair didn't work. Back to mex I went and Dr. Sanchez decided to reband me, free (the makers of the AMI band is paying for it). I was rebanded with the 9.75 (smaller) Inamed band, big difference. I felt restriction right away. I couldn't gulp anymore either.

I'm very happy with my new band. I've only had one fill in 8/05 of 1.3cc's and still feel restriction. I'm 3lbs. from goal.

I adore Dr. Sanchez and his staff. When my band was leaking and I was crying on the phone to him and he alway told me he'd take care of me and he did.

Being that I live in California, I could have easily went to TJ and had Ortiz or Kuri band me.

Dr. Sanchez is one of the best!

Thank you Vera for sharing...and congrats on being soo close to goal. That's really comforting to hear how he reacts when there's a problem/complications.

msbrookins, I searched the poster's name in that forum and found that he had been banded by Dr. Sanchez. I think a lot of times people get really cautious on boards and do the "Dr. John Doe" type thing so they don't start a chat board riot. Personally, I would way rather know what happened and be able to make my own choice than have someone try tobe poilte and not mention the doctor's name. I think Sanchez is a great choice and this is the ONLY thing I could find that was negative. Seriously, I'm a google/search freak and I have spent hours researching doctors.

I also want to add that the unflattering comments frm that guy's post seem to be SO COMPLETELY contrary to what I've read. It seems like many people who used Dr. Sanchez were referred by someone in the medical community.

msbrookins, I searched the poster's name in that forum and found that he had been banded by Dr. Sanchez. I think a lot of times people get really cautious on boards and do the "Dr. John Doe" type thing so they don't start a chat board riot. Personally, I would way rather know what happened and be able to make my own choice than have someone try tobe poilte and not mention the doctor's name. I think Sanchez is a great choice and this is the ONLY thing I could find that was negative. Seriously, I'm a google/search freak and I have spent hours researching doctors.

PeloRojo, I'm with you on the "need to know and not hold anything back" kick...it's when you hold back information that may cause someone else to make an all informed decision.

I feel that my decision to change from Ortiz to Sanchez was a decision that I'm comfortable and happy with....I don't feel those second guessing feelings!

I chose the middle package because of cost. It was a huge bonus that they paid for my flight living in MT. I wish I had choses the Diamond package now for my first fill but that's just the way it goes. I'm 6 weeks out and have had no food or physical complications. I haven't had a fill yet and honestly don't think I need one yet. Still loosing 2-3#'s a week. Best wishes. Sharon

I had my surgery done by Dr. Sanchez in October 2005. I also researched for months, and spent many hours on the phone with other bandsters before I chose my surgeon. I was initially torn between Sanchez and Rumbaut, and chose Sanchez because of a final conversation with someone he had banded. What they were saying about their surgery experience just "sounded right" to me. I have only heard great things about him from every person I have asked. He arranged aftercare for me locally, but I have been able to see him for 3 of my fills and each encounter reinforces my trust in him. H