Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is it like having WLS

Hi,

I must have talked myself in and out of having WLS for at least 2 years before I had it. I kept thinking, if I get a trainer and go to Weigh****chers I can do this myself. It was also about spending $$. Then I had a very close friend that I worked with who had WLS. I started to get more serious about it after asking her at least a 200 questions. She was very patient with me--thank you Kristi. Her suggestion was for me to do some research on my OWN and see what I could come up with. That started my 6 month journey into WLS and all the kinds that were available. cool2.gif I also realized I was worth the $$ I was about to spend.

So I just didn't wake up one morning and say I am having WLS. By the time I made my choice and where I was going to have it done, I had spent a lot of time educating myself. That is important to do.

blushing.gif

As we all know there is always risk involved when it comes to ANY kind of surgery, so I considered that, and said to my husband (boyfriend) at the time that I wanted to have WLS. He was there 200% for me. He loved me just the way I was and it didn't matter to him that I was fat.

I was doing this for me and NO one else.cool2.gif

The 1st month was the hardest month I had to do after having WLS--I had the sleeve by the way. I started to see the weight come off. I had my ups and downs like stalling for 9 days in a row without any weight loss, lost some of my hair (yes it comes back), had to deal with Constipation. Tried foods I never ate much of before and learned I loved them now. Learned how to cook differently--healthy. And most of learned that exercise was something that I actually enjoyed doing.

dance.gif

Would I tell someone this is what they should do. It is an individual choice. But, what I can say is that diet and exercise as I knew it wasn't working for me. I did the Yo Yo--lose it gain it back thing. WLS was my tool to allow me to lose the weight. It took me 14 months but I lost 105 pounds.

beer.gif

I love my new healthy body and I feel sooooooooooooo much better and healthy and happy, and I have a zest for life. I only wished I would have done it years before. But, for me it was the right time. You have to have your head in the right place for it to work. This has to be for YOU and no one else.

biggrin2.gif

If you have any question, please ask away. I am here to support and encourage you that you too can be successful. It is really normal to have all kinds of feelings and emotions especially right before the surgery.heart.gif

Hugs, Suzanne

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am in the process of the pre-op approval process and of course have tons of questions, especially regarding the experiences and recovery and post op experiences of others.Please continue posting and sharing your experiences and journey.

Thanks for sharing Suzanne!!!

Hi,

If I can make a difference and help others from where I have been and were I am now then it has all been worth its.

Suzanne

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am in the process of the pre-op approval process and of course have tons of questions, especially regarding the experiences and recovery and post op experiences of others.Please continue posting and sharing your experiences and journey.

Hi,

Well, I will do that. If you have any question feel free to fire them at me. I am always happy to share. I am here to support and help anyone who is about to start this process.

Hang in there and there isn't anything that we can't talk about when it comes ot WLS.

Hugs, Suzanne

Suzanne, thanks for sharing your journey.

I meet with my surgeon June 1 and will walk out of his office with a date :D I had never considered WLS seriously because I had always been able to lose on my own...of course gaining back every time...but always felt it was a matter of will that I could conquer. Til last year when I started to have s&s of diabetes. Luckily the blood tests were negative but it was a true wake up call that if I didn't do something NOW I was going to be a diabetic like my dad and a few others in the family who suffered amputations, blindness etc.

At the WLS seminar I first heard the word 'sleeve.' I had gone with intentions (and fear) of getting banded. In the end, I think it was all meant to be... that I went to the seminar when I did, that the sleeve had just been an approved procedure by my insurance, etc. Now that I've 6 months to think about it due to the silly pre-op classes required by insurance, I am 100% sure this is the right thing to do. So excited to begin losing, with confidence that it can truly be a forever thing.

Hi Beth,

What excellent news. You have made the right choice when it comes to having the sleeve. You are going with the best weight loss surgery you could have. I am thrilled to see that finally insurance companies are starting to come around.

If you have quesiton along the way, I am here to answer them. Fear and excitment and being scared all at the same time are If you have ANY questions at all feel free to ask me. I am happy to answer them for you if I can.

Hugs,

Suzanne

This seems to be a common statement among st all WLS patients. If you are on the line about getting the surgery done, this is the one line in all the posts you should pay attention to. While we all have different concerns and fears pre op, We all share the same post op thought. I WISH I HAD DONE IT YEARS AGO!

Hi,

Boy you are soooooooooooooo right about that statement!

Suzanne