Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What has been the most shocking comment about the sleeve at any stage (pre-op, post-op) or about your weight loss?

I have a new one and it came from my bff of 25 years. Wasn't sure how to take it but oh well. First lets give you a background she is tall, blonde, blue eyes and thin. I am the exact opposite lol, short (average really at 5'5 but compared to 5'9 short), and was fat, dark brown hair and olive complexion.

Soooooooooo, we are chatting and I told her how much I weighed now and this is the conversation...

Me: I am down to 176 now, can you believe it lol

Her: I have to get a move on then before spring (thats when me and my boy go to visit everyone up north)

Me: (confused) what are you talking about?

Her: You weigh less than me now, and we can't have that!

Wasn't exactly sure what to say after that so I changed the subject. After thinking about it though I should have said what kind of a f*cking comment is that?

Hum, that is pretty rude. I guess I can see someone "thinking" that but to actually say it outloud. Wow. Since she is your BFF, I guess maybe it would be worth talking about/exploring the underlying feelings there. If it was me (and I KNEW someone was going to say something like that to me) I would have responded with "did you just hear yourself? Are you that shallow?" but of course hindsight is 20/20 and you probably won't get the opportunity to go back and say that.

Raine I would just like to point out one thing... you described her as "thin". You weigh less than her. That can only be a good thing. ;)

I have a new one to add. I have a friend who is super thin, eats right, and works out all the time. I didn't tell her about my surgery because I just didn't want to hear any comments about how I could just work out and eat right and on and on. When I would run into her she would comment on how great I looked. Well someone told her recently about my VSG. She told one of our mutual friends that my weight loss wasn't "real' because I had surgery. That I was "cheating!" Really??? She doesn't say a word about my weight loss anymore. The funny thing is that I am working out now more than I ever have in my entire life. I don't think I am cheating. I love my sleeve even if I have to deal with silly comments like these!

I have a new one to add. I have a friend who is super thin, eats right, and works out all the time. I didn't tell her about my surgery because I just didn't want to hear any comments about how I could just work out and eat right and on and on. When I would run into her she would comment on how great I looked. Well someone told her recently about my VSG. She told one of our mutual friends that my weight loss wasn't "real' because I had surgery. That I was "cheating!" Really??? She doesn't say a word about my weight loss anymore. The funny thing is that I am working out now more than I ever have in my entire life. I don't think I am cheating. I love my sleeve even if I have to deal with silly comments like these!

Right on sista!

I know we all have to eat little servings of whats right, and most of us work out too... thats supposed to be the secret to weight loss right? Eat less/exercise more? Perhaps she believes that she has a higher moral character than you? You should ask her if she is hungry all the time? Do her knees hurt? Does she carry a hundred pound sack of potatoes around on her back when she exercises? Has she ever been the fattest person in the room? Has she ever tried to lose 100 pounds? Then get off the high horse please! Moral character is surviving the list of things that can bring you down in life related to being fat like trying over and over again in the face of failure to lose weight by eating less and exercising more!....and still continuing to be kind and loving to others.

...ohoh, now I'm on the high horse!

Right on sista!

I know we all have to eat little servings of whats right, and most of us work out too... thats supposed to be the secret to weight loss right? Eat less/exercise more? Perhaps she believes that she has a higher moral character than you? You should ask her if she is hungry all the time? Do her knees hurt? Does she carry a hundred pound sack of potatoes around on her back when she exercises? Has she ever been the fattest person in the room? Has she ever tried to lose 100 pounds? Then get off the high horse please! Moral character is surviving the list of things that can bring you down in life related to being fat like trying over and over again in the face of failure to lose weight by eating less and exercising more!....and still continuing to be kind and loving to others.

...ohoh, now I'm on the high horse!

Love it!

[Thought I would post a nice comment that I heard the other day. One of my friends knows about my WLS (she asked lots of questions because she and her hubby are both MO) and I told her all about what I eat, how much I exercise, etc. So I ran into her the other day and she said she and her hubby were talking about me and she said something to the effect of, "she has had to completely reorient her thinking about food and change her life and she works harder than anyone else I know to lose this weight!!!"

I was like FINALLY someone gets it and doesn't think I'm taking the easy way out or 'cheating"!:lightbulb:

[Thought I would post a nice comment that I heard the other day. One of my friends knows about my WLS (she asked lots of questions because she and her hubby are both MO) and I told her all about what I eat, how much I exercise, etc. So I ran into her the other day and she said she and her hubby were talking about me and she said something to the effect of, "she has had to completely reorient her thinking about food and change her life and she works harder than anyone else I know to lose this weight!!!"

I was like FINALLY someone gets it and doesn't think I'm taking the easy way out or 'cheating"!:lightbulb:

Thats really nice!

The other day I was out with a gym buddy of mine (super athletic and thin) and someone asked how I was losing the weight... I said I had had surgery to make my stomach hold less, and my friend blurted out "She eats tiny meals and exercises 5 days a week!" So glad she could see how it really happens ! know it looks like magic, because all these folks that have a hard time getting and staying thin "all of a sudden" get thin and fit.... but really its eating less and exercising more... with a tool that helps us to eat less volume pretty consistently.

I haven't even had surgery yet and am already getting these comments. A friend at work who knows I will be having surgery said to me " your husband won't be able to keep his hands off of you when you get that weight off". yes it will be so nice to not have to pay him to put his hands on me. lol what can you do?:)

my friend blurted out "She eats tiny meals and exercises 5 days a week!"

What cool friend to have! ;)

What cool friend to have! ;)

Thats what I thought too! As I look back at it, I was almost being an apologist for the weightloss...giving all the credit to the sleeve.... she hit the nail right on the head!

My shocking comment had nothing to do with telling people about the surgery. I'm 4 months out and have lost 65 lbs since surgery and a total of 85 lbs due to pre-op diet (and stomach flu, ha!) I started this journey at 285. I'm 5'2".

I had strangers at my front door twice this past week. One was Comcast trying to get me back as a customer and the other was an insurance guy who had the wrong address. Both times I answered the door I was asked "Is your mom home?" Please note: I'm 36 years old!

I am out done by some of the comments all of you have gotten. I remember having lost a good bit of weight a long time ago and someone said essentially the same thing about how I was now "so beautiful" so I turned to her and said. . . ."yet you still have no tact". Kind of cracked me up to see her face. I have to say, having lost my younger sister to illness (not obesity related) when I was younger my Mom was happy I was doing something to get healthy and was even on board about Mexico so I am very blessed in that way. Wouldn't you know it in the last week there have been news reports about troops going in to Mexico for violence (not in Tijuana which is where I'll be) and some lifetime movie about a woman dying during surgery in Mexico so needless to say I know my Mom is a little freaked out. I told her we have to have faith that God is in control and He will work it all out.

A bus driver I see every week came over to me ... He then asked me if I was feeling alright, and how was my health... I said I was fine and felt great, and my health was better than ever. I lost weight to improve my health. I then jokingly said he must be thinking about my sister... He then leaned in and told me he preferred my sister...

I think its fine that people have their preferences, but that was a little rude to my face!

I have a feeling this thread isn't going anywhere as the rude comments just roll on in!! People are so presumptious about your weight. It's somehow up for public discussion. It still baffles me that people actually believe they have the right to make a comment on it. I totally agree with a previous poster above who said that not only do some people believe they have the right to comment on your weight; they also believe they have the right to determine HOW you should go about losing it. Ultimately, there has to be something really emotionally wrong with any person who gets too riled up about an issue that ultimately has nothing to do with them.

I've actually been extremely open about the fact that I was having this surgery. I don't know why but I just decided from the start that I would be. I even post about it on my FB and I've been pretty lucky that most everyone has been supportive. If I end up getting some flack, it will be my own fault for publicizing it. I did have someone comment to me that "it's nice and all" that I'll lose weight but "in the end it won't really matter" because I'll have a bunch of sagging skin. Then this person went on to tell me about a co worker who has sagging skin and how it's "Just as unsightly" as being overweight. I love how some people feel they have a free pass to insult people based on their weight.

Wow, well what a weird week it has been.

Basically after a lot of soul searching I decided to let people know about my surgery this week, largely because people who didn't know were starting to use me as some sort of example to beat themselves and other people with, and I always vowed that I would not let my surgery hurt other people.

So ironically all positive responses so far from the people who are just finding out, but ASTONISHED by hurtful comments made this week by one of my very best friends, and my own DH!!

Firstly, the reason I hadn't spoken to our extended family about my surgery was because my in-laws can be very jusdgemental, and my DH didn't want me to have to deal with their opinions (a wise choice in my opinion, although I'd have happily taken the risk), as its been 7 months of smoke and mirrors we had a big heart to heart and he agreed to speak to hisn parents about it. We had a big conversation about how they might react, and would they say I've cheated etc etc etc, and he was brilliantly supportive and re-assuring.

So he makes the call to tell them, and obviously just can't find the right words to explain fully, so I find him saying "Oh yeah Mum, make no bones about it, she cheated!" - What a complete dim whit!!!!

So I am not best impressed by that, but its not exactly killing me either.

Then this afternoon I go and see a friend for coffee, my friend has known a while, and was very supportive to begin with, but then got really upset (and told me so) when I started updating my weight loss achievements on Facebook etc, so in fairness to her I have not discussed weight loss, diet etc etc etc with her, or publicly where she might see it since because I am not in the business of upsetting my friends. We are sat having coffee when she turns to me out of the blue and says "I've figured something out about your surgery, if it is working you must have really eaten like a pig before! I hardly eat anything! So I might be bigger than you, but at least I've never eaten like a pig!!!"

My friend is going through horribly tough times at the moment, so I didn't begin to get into a slanging match with her over it, but seriously WTF????

Well I am still stinging from that, and just feel like the people I felt able to rely on clearly have no idea at all! :angry: