Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I knew this was going to happen...

I started work last week. I work in a controlled environment and no food or drink is allowed in the building. There are Water fountains but they are few and far between. (Like a city block away....just to give some perspective). I am finding it extremely hard to get all my fluids in!! I can get about 16 oz in on the drive to work. Then we have a 15 min break at 9 when I eat my Protein and there's no time to drink. Sometimes I can get a drink of water in between break and lunch but more than 2 swallows makes me feel sick so I can't get in much. I can manage about 8 oz after lunch. Then I try to drink about 32 oz on the way home (an hour drive). I try to get in another 16 oz after supper and before bed.

I still feel very dry and sluggish at work and I don't know what to do.

I started work last week. I work in a controlled environment and no food or drink is allowed in the building. There are Water fountains but they are few and far between. (Like a city block away....just to give some perspective). I am finding it extremely hard to get all my fluids in!! I can get about 16 oz in on the drive to work. Then we have a 15 min break at 9 when I eat my Protein and there's no time to drink. Sometimes I can get a drink of Water in between break and lunch but more than 2 swallows makes me feel sick so I can't get in much. I can manage about 8 oz after lunch. Then I try to drink about 32 oz on the way home (an hour drive). I try to get in another 16 oz after supper and before bed.

Hey that sounds like enough to me! 72 oz!. How much are you trying to drink?

I started work last week. I work in a controlled environment and no food or drink is allowed in the building. There are Water fountains but they are few and far between. (Like a city block away....just to give some perspective). I am finding it extremely hard to get all my fluids in!! I can get about 16 oz in on the drive to work. Then we have a 15 min break at 9 when I eat my Protein and there's no time to drink. Sometimes I can get a drink of Water in between break and lunch but more than 2 swallows makes me feel sick so I can't get in much. I can manage about 8 oz after lunch. Then I try to drink about 32 oz on the way home (an hour drive). I try to get in another 16 oz after supper and before bed.

Sounds like you're getting a little over 64 oz a day, which is fine - not high, but not anything to be concerned about. Can you drink your Protein at your 9 AM break? If you have half a 14 oz Protein shake, that would be 7 more oz of liquid and12 - 16 grams of protein. For example, take one GNC or Oh Yeah Protein Shake, have it at your break for two days. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much if you're really getting 65 oz - just try to go on the high side on your days off.

Thank you so much! I keep a diary of my intake and most days I'm lucky to get in 40 oz. I try for more but time constraints and that upchuck feeling hinder me. I wish I could keep a camelback Water pack with me and just SIP thru the day...but if I'm caught with that....its automatic termination.

I was doing very well up until this week and now I just feel foggy and tired.

Wow! That's crazy to not even be able to drink during the day. What kind of work is it? I work as a nurse and even we sneak in our Water bottles because it's hard to go without. : /

I'm an Orbital Welder at Intel, (yeah, the microchip factory). It's actually just a huge chemical plant, and the no food and Water rules are in place in case of a leak or something. They don't want you to inadvertently ingest a poison via an open water bottle or on your food.

I'm not sure if you've ever heard the expression that someone is so smart that they don't have common sense? Well, that defines the majority of the upper echelon at Intel. The rules and regulations are even more diverse and moronic than alot of OSHA laws.

It totally sucks because it takes about 5 minutes to stop what you're doing, walk a mile to a Water fountain and back. I can only take about 2 swallows at the water fountain at a time.......If I were to try to get all my water that way, I might as well just camp out by the fountain.

If you're caught with water or food it's automatic termination, and I can't risk that.

I asked if they could bend the rules for me if I had a Drs Letter stating my water needs and it was a no go.

I've been racking my brain on how to overcome this.....and so far I'm coming up dry.......(pardon the pun!).

All thoughts welcome!!

I am glad your surgery went well, I am schduled with Dr. Almanza on May 25th. Was it what you expected in regards to the staff, facility and recovery house? i will go nuts if I cannot get my liquids in, I am a water freak.

Try getting in an electrolyte drink as that may be the problem. Also the suggestion of drinking your Protein on your first break sounds like a great idea.

On your drive in to work you drink 16 oz and home is 32 oz. Could you take a warm tea on your morning drive to up your Fluid and the warmth is nice. Warm tea of 8 oz + 16 oz of Water + first coffee Protein Drink 8 oz + 8oz electrolyte drink after lunch +32 oz on way home and 16 oz in the evening. This would up your fluids and could possibly help with the thirst.

Is it just plain Water that you are taking for all your Fluid intake?

I am glad your surgery went well, I am schduled with Dr. Almanza on May 25th. Was it what you expected in regards to the staff, facility and recovery house? i will go nuts if I cannot get my liquids in, I am a Water freak.

Hey there Kemo!

It's very nice to hear from you!

The Clinic is small, but two stories. It is highly compact but extremely efficient! Anything and everything they need for you is within a 5 step reach. The staff is extremely professional and adept. Not a single bruise from IV's! Small bruising from the anesthesia IV, but I think that was my fault cuz I tried to bend my arm before I realized I had an IV in it. LOL!

They understand you, even if there is a language barrier and they will not hesitate to get someone to interpret for you if it's more complicated.

The recovery house is gorgeous, in a gated community with a wonderful view of Tijuana from atop a hill. It is also rather compact, but you will find that most things in Mexico are. It can also be a little noisy at times with patients and staff. You will have plenty of room to walk outside though and the weather was gorgeous while we were there.

They will take you wherever you would like to go. One of my sleeve sisters took a tour of Tijuana the day after her surgery and Dr. Almanzas staff drove her to and picked her up from the tour depot, as well as to several other dental appts she had. So if you find anything you want to do while there, look it up and they'll be glad to help you!

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. It was quick, mostly painless and if you follow their instructions, it will be very smooth.

Keep me posted! I'm so excited for you! It's a ride you'll never regret!

Christal

Try getting in an electrolyte drink as that may be the problem. Also the suggestion of drinking your Protein on your first break sounds like a great idea.

On your drive in to work you drink 16 oz and home is 32 oz. Could you take a warm tea on your morning drive to up your Fluid and the warmth is nice. Warm tea of 8 oz + 16 oz of Water + first coffee Protein Drink 8 oz + 8oz electrolyte drink after lunch +32 oz on way home and 16 oz in the evening. This would up your fluids and could possibly help with the thirst.

Is it just plain Water that you are taking for all your Fluid intake?

Excellent idea!

No, in the morning it is plain water and sometimes it's just so early I can't stomach it so only get in a few oz (we leave at 4:30 AM to get to work at 5:45). At lunch it's about 8 oz of whatever Protein drink I've made up. On the drive home it is the rest of my protein drink (3 scoops of unflavored Protein powder in a 40 oz bottle with water and 2 packets of crystal lite) so after lunch there is about 32 oz left. Then I try to drink another 16 oz between dinner and bedtime and sometimes I'm so full from dinner that it's hard to get all that down.

I will definitely look into the electrolyte idea!! And will drink my protein at break and save the eating for lunch! I think if I also invest in some Protein Shots, maybe I can sneak those in to give me a little boost between break and lunch and lunch and quitting time, which seem to be my worst sluggish times.

Ya'll are so awesome! I love this site and everyone who posts here! Ya'll are my inspiration!!!!!!

Christal

Sounds like you're getting a little over 64 oz a day, which is fine - not high, but not anything to be concerned about. Can you drink your Protein at your 9 AM break? If you have half a 14 oz Protein shake, that would be 7 more oz of liquid and12 - 16 grams of Protein. For example, take one GNC or Oh Yeah Protein Shake, have it at your break for two days. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much if you're really getting 65 oz - just try to go on the high side on your days off.

Excellent suggestion!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!

I have heard of those Protein Shots and I will look them up as well. Since surgery Protein Shakes don't taste as good as they used to. Before I had been no carb for months and the Protein Shake was like dessert! lol I think things will get better in time. It takes time for the body to heal and time for us to understand our new bellies. :lol:

Sounds like you are doing fine with fluids!!! You might want to keep check on your blood pressure. My went so low about two weeks out . It made me feel Sooo sluggish!!!

If you are feeling overly tired, light headed, naucous, weak, dizzy, headache, dry mouth, dark yellow urine and/or vomiting, you are probably dehydrated. This is the list my nurse gave me and told me to call if I had ANY of these symptoms. Dehydration is the #1 complication at my doctors and they IV someone with fluids EVERY DAY. Right now I'm battling dehydration and I've been getting in 6 cups of Water a day. I have 2 more days to get my lightheaded symptoms under control or I'm off to the office for an IV. Also, do your employers know about your surgery? You have a right to have water breaks - I'm sure if you had a doctor's note, you would be allowed to take a water break every hour. No one - not even your company - wants you in the hospital.