Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Joining-So Many Questions!!!

So I just joined this website today, but I have been reading/keeping up with it for a few months now. I have finally been approved (by insurance) for a bariatric surgery and can barely control my excitement!!!

*dun dun dun*

Now to the scary part. I have all these questions that I don't know how to find the answers to. I have all these worries that I don't want to express to my family (because they are already REALLY worried as it is). I have this fear that there are a million other questions that I SHOULD ask but just don't know to ask.

This is where YOU come in. If you were about to go through with a Sleeve Gastrectomy again, what things do you wish that someone would have told you? Is the fear and pain of the surgery far outweighed by the fabulous new you that you found AFTER surgery?

What things do you wish you would have known to ask someone before the surgery?

I am so excited that I just want to have the surgery NOW. I know that there are all these hoops that I have to jump through before but I have been struggling with my weight since I was 5 and I am ready to look how I FEEL INSIDE! I run and love to be active and I am ready for my body to convey that to people when they meet me. I am tired of being fat and I am tired of feeling judged upon meeting new people, but I am not sure if there are things that I should be considering before going through with this surgery.

HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Kimberlina :unsure:

So I just joined this website today, but I have been reading/keeping up with it for a few months now. I have finally been approved (by insurance) for a bariatric surgery and can barely control my excitement!!!

*dun dun dun*

Now to the scary part. I have all these questions that I don't know how to find the answers to. I have all these worries that I don't want to express to my family (because they are already REALLY worried as it is). I have this fear that there are a million other questions that I SHOULD ask but just don't know to ask.

This is where YOU come in. If you were about to go through with a Sleeve Gastrectomy again, what things do you wish that someone would have told you? Is the fear and pain of the surgery far outweighed by the fabulous new you that you found AFTER surgery?

I am so excited that I just want to have the surgery NOW. I know that there are all these hoops that I have to jump through before but I have been struggling with my weight since I was 5 and I am ready to look how I FEEL INSIDE! I run and love to be active and I am ready for my body to convey that to people when they meet me. I am tired of being fat and I am tired of feeling judged upon meeting new people, but I am not sure if there are things that I should be considering before going through with this surgery.

HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Kimberlina :unsure:

Hi Kimberlina,

First a big CONGRATS to you, I am so happy for you and your new beginning!!!! I am not sleeved yet and with that being said you asked the exact questions that I have been pondering.

Lets hope that all of these fabulous sleevers on this forum can answer and give us just a little more knowledge........ and courage :D

Best wishes!

This is where YOU come in. If you were about to go through with a Sleeve Gastrectomy again, what things do you wish that someone would have told you?

I definitely wished someone would have told me the fatigue I felt for the first two months. I felt like I was in a cloud of funk. No kidding. I'm usually very vibrant and full of energy so this was really strange for me, and I hated it. It felt like that cloud would never lift!!! I also wish someone would have told me that once it lifts I would feel better than I have ever felt in my life!!! Because now I'm doing things I have never been able to do before. Remember this when you are post op. Of course not *everyone* goes through this, but if you are one of them - keep in mind it is only temporary and once it's over you won't regret having this done. :)

Is the fear and pain of the surgery far outweighed by the fabulous new you that you found AFTER surgery?

Absolutely yes. This surgery quite literally saved my life. I'm healthier now than I have ever been!! I had high blood pressure, glucose issues (almost pre-diabetic) and was just starting to get cholesterol issues. Now they are but a distant memory!

I did ask a ton of questions and tried to prepare myself as much as possible. I think you're doing right by asking anything that comes to mind. Keep asking away! Keep reading as much as possible too. I encourage you to see all viewpoints, and even check out the complications threads. You will not want to go into this blindly, this is a very major surgery and will want to stay safe and know about complication symptoms.

All the very best to you in your journey!! :)

Very little actual pain here, a LOT of nausea though. I also wish I'd of paid attention to a few warnings about Calcium carbonate (Tums). I had a few acid problems and was popping Tums to quell it. Ended up having Calcium kidney stones - ouch!

I was well informed, I studied out pretty much every aspect of the surgery.

I just wish I'd of known how WELL it would work.

Well we were all excited, just be sure to examine ALL the factors and make sure you are not just making an emotional decision. Make sure your finances, insurance, post operative care, time away from work, post operative responsibilities, significant others expectations, etc are all addressed.