Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learning about this new sleeve - TMI alert

I am apparently a slow learner as yesterday I guess I ate my 100 calorie cottage cheese dinner too quickly. I headed out for a walk immediately after finishing and within a few minutes I had the hiccups...something I haven't had in YEARS. Then the hiccups stopped (after maybe 5 minutes) but I felt this enormous pressure under my diaphragm like I needed to burp. It was so painful that I turned around and headed back to the house but....vomited before I got a block away. (Sorry neighbors...not a pretty sight to see). :crutch:

You'd think that I would have learned my lesson, but NO...I did it again this morning! I got the hiccups immediately after eating, they lasted about five minutes, huge feeling of pressure and then I vomited again. The only improvement over the second time is that I was in MY bathroom and not the neighbors yard! The reason that I am sharing all of this is to get feedback about whether or not anyone thinks this might be more related to acid production versus too fast eating...or maybe a combo? I didn't appear to actually vomit the cottage cheese but more of a stringy, mucus type stuff...is this the dreaded slimes?? :fear: I am not taking anything for acid production as my doc likes to wait and see if it is necessary. I haven't had the feeling of acid reflux like I did before surgery but maybe it won't present itself in the same way?

Tomorrow is my 2 week VSG anniversary and I have my follow-up appointment this afternoon so I'll see what the doc say but any other advice is welcomed!

How fast did you eat it? I'm 8 days out and just had cottage cheese for the first time. I ate about 2 tablespoons in 20 minutes...not because I couldn't have gone faster, but because I'm being very cautious. I'm about to go for my 2nd round since I haven't had any issues. My doctor as well as a lot of others, has me on an acid reducer as a preventative measure. I'm supposed to take it every day for at least 3 months whether or not I have acid. It's kind of frustrating how different doctors post-op instructions can be isn't it??

I think you are probably eating too fast. If you are only 2 weeks out and eating 100 cal worth of cottage cheese at one sitting - that is alot. Slow down and listen to your body. One of the hardest lessons I had to learn was to stop eating when I was satisfied not when it was all gone. I think everyone who has been sleeved eats too much or too fast at least once - if we knew how to stop we wouldn't have gotten to this point in the first place :P . Hang in there - it will get better - just remember to listen to your body.

Kathy

Yikes. Hicups are still my sign of being full. Sounds like you are not measuring your food or eating slowly enough. At 7+ months out i still battle with this too. Learn to take it slow but until you recognize the signs of fullness, measure everything. Good luck!

first time i had cottage cheese I could only eat a 1/4 cup because it made me so full. You need to wait a couple minutes between bites so you give your body a chance to tell you that you are full.

I ate the 100 cal serving which is maybe 1/2 cup....haven't measured it...over about 45 minutes. Good advice as I think I am eating too fast and obviously I have not measured the amount; I was calculating based on calories not quantity. :(. Duh. This is going to be a learning experience!!

I ate the 100 cal serving which is maybe 1/2 cup....haven't measured it...over about 45 minutes. Good advice as I think I am eating too fast and obviously I have not measured the amount; I was calculating based on calories not quantity. :(. Duh. This is going to be a learning experience!!

45 minutes seems plenty of time to me, that is not too fast IMO. (Maybe not chewed enough, though?) I have never eaten that slow since surgery -- mostly because my NUTs say you should eat in 15-20 minutes, or else you will start digesting and making more room again. Are there other things you tolerate better than cottage cheese? I also get hiccups when I'm full or eat a bit too fast.

you can eat cottage cheese already? lol holy moly...they made me wait 4 weeks. sounds to me like maybe too fast or not chewing thoroughly. if i dont chew good then it revisits me, and that is my hardest habit to break. i would try small small bites and chew slowly and i have heard to wait 2-3 minutes between bites if that helps. but i get the hiccups too now, when i am full. that is my new alarm for a full tummy. i get the hiccups, and i leave the table and dont eat anything else.

10 days post-op I had the same thing happen to me. I had drank some lemonaid (not sf) and came right up in the middle of me sleeping. It was this weird burning sensation and very slimy. That was the only time I ever threw up or slimmed. I called my dr the next morning and she prescribed me some Prevacid-take once a day. Your experience sounds like what I went through. Also my coridnator said that if you feel a tightness between your boobs that means youve eaten too much. I would call your dr and explain to them what happened. It sounds like acid reflux. I have never experienced anything like it before WLS and never want to feel it again!

Hope it helps! PS I am 6wks out.

PS: Dont go by my ticker. I forgot how to update it. But I am 30lbs down the last time I checked...abt a wk ago.

I had my post op visit this afternoon & doc concurred with what most of you have said. Probably a combination of advancing my diet too soon, eating too fast and not chewing enough. All stuff I should KNOW by heart since I spend all of my free time on this Board! ;) All I can say is it is one thing to know it in your brain and another to actually practice it. I will be more careful going forward as this is not an experience I want to repeat. Oh...he did restart me on Prilosec so that may help too. I am cleared to go back to work, have sex and take a bubble bath!!! Let's see...how do I prioritize my choices?!!! :) :) :)

i started purees yesterday and I measure everything to a tee...i am very afraid of throwing up lol...try sticking specifically to 4oz until u learn your sleeve.

This kind of happens to me too but I haven't thrown up yet. I am 2 weeks out now too and at work I eat something like applesauce on break. Well I try to slow down but it's hard. At home if I am eating the same thing I would leave the container on the counter and eat a bite when I walk by when I'm cleaning or something. If I don't slow down, sometimes it feels like I need to go to the bathroom. Sometimes I do just to see if it will help the pressure. I hate that feeling. It is just taking a long time for me to learn. :P

It's all part of the learning curve. I think Cottage cheese is tough because you can't really 'chew" it.

Measure you food, especially in the beginning. I am 4 months out and still can't eat more than a 1/2 cup of food. In the beginning it was barely a 1/4 cup. Keep up the great work and congratulations!

Glad the doc said it was just that and nothing serious. I too have to get used to the size portions to prevent getting the slimes :( but we are still early in this journey and I am sure we will catch on soon. Take your time and chew, chew, chew...then before you swallow, chew some more is how my doc explained it to me. ;)