Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you sitting out there reading all these post

Hi everyone,

I remember when I was thinking about having sleeve surgery, I sat back and read all these posts, until I felt comfortable enough to join in and ask my million questions. I had such great support and wonderful people who helped me along my weight loss journey. I always promised I would pay it forward. So I am here 2 1/2 years after my "sleeve" surgery. I had the most amazing experience. I am now 65 years old and thought that maybe I was too old to do this. Boy, was I wrong. I picked Dr. Aceves to do my surgery. That was the best choice I could have ever made. I happend to work with a good friend who had Dr. Aceves for her doctor and had WLS with him. She made me do lots of research and take some time to make up my mind. It took me 6 months to make this choice. What an amazing journey I have had. I started out at 225 pounds and lost a total of 105 pounds. I now weight 120 lbs and have maintained that weight loss. I now know I will always be able to maintain it. I am never on a diet, but made a life style change that will last forever.

My goal is to help and support people who are just not qutie sure if they want this surgery, or if they have questions and are scared to ask anyone. I am here to listen to you, talk about your fears and help and support you in any way I can help you. You deserve to have it ALL, and there really is a way. If diet and exercise were all it took, and it worked then some of us would not need to have WLS. Most of us have lost it and gained it back many time in our lives. I believe it took more strength to have this surgery than anything I had ever done. But, I knew it had to be ALL about me and NO one else. I had earned the right to do this for myself. Life is wonderful, and I have NO regrets what so ever. My husband fell in love with me when I was fat and so now he loves me just as much when I am healthy and thin. He has even lost weight because of how we both eat--healthy. I have had great support from him all the way though my weight loss journey. So if you are just sitting there and reading this and not sure what you want to do talk to me. I will be honest and tell you the good and the bad side of all this. It takes work on your part and effort. This is NO mircle cure and you have to have your head in the right place and want this more than you want anything else in life. This is your tool to get to the goal you want. It takes making good food choices, and some exercise on your part too. I used to be the person who "hated" exercise....now I honestly look forward to it 5 or 6 days a week. My choice of exercise is pretty easy, I walk. So please feel free to ask questions, say what you are thinking. There isn't anything that we can't talk about.

Take care,

Suzanne Sleeved 10/21/2008 Dr. Aceves

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hi suz did you have a problem with acid reflux or heartburn post- op??? seems to be common with VSG per the post left by other sleevers ??? what about you???

any other sleeve related issues???

and yes I'm still on the fence about beening sleeved I have no health issues ... I just can't keep the weight off long term ... i'm 31... 5'3.. and 243 that currently at my heaviest... just worried ... about complication and such ... thanks so much in advance for answering my question

hi suz did you have a problem with acid reflux or heartburn post- op??? seems to be common with VSG per the post left by other sleeves ??? what about you???

any other sleeve related issues???

and yes I'm still on the fence about beening sleeved I have no health issues ... I just can't keep the weight off long term ... I'm 31... 5'3.. and 243 that currently at my heaviest... just worried ... about complication and such ... thanks so much in advance for answering my question

Hi,

Yes, I have acid reflux and I consider it a great trade off to being fat. I take Prilosec every morning and it is resolved that easy.

Here is what I have to say about sitting on the fence. I hear what you are saying. However ever day you don't do something about being overweight is a day that you are giving away of your like. It is time to take control of the weight instead of the weight controlling you. I could never keep it off either. Then I hated myself because I couldn't keep it off and I was always blaming myself for being a failure. You are young and beautiful. Why are you willing to give days of your life away????? It does require a lifestyle change. That is pretty simple once you get going because you are going to love the way the fat comes off--it is pretty easy at first and it really motivates you. I know I will ALWAYS keep the weight off because of the lifestyle changes I have made. I am never deprived of foods--I just eat small amounts of them. It is more about being able to have it and the taste of it vs the amount you eat.

Do it now, there is really nothing to fear. I know that is easy for me to say now, but I promise you it is true. You aren't the only person who has had these feeling & fears --trust me everyone of us have been down your road.

I am here for you and I am always happy to answer your questions. Ask away.

Hugs,

Suzanne :P

Hi,

Yes, I have acid reflux and I consider it a great trade off to being fat. I take Prilosec every morning and it is resolved that easy.

Here is what I have to say about sitting on the fence. I hear what you are saying. However ever day you don't do something about being overweight is a day that you are giving away of your like. It is time to take control of the weight instead of the weight controlling you. I could never keep it off either. Then I hated myself because I couldn't keep it off and I was always blaming myself for being a failure. You are young and beautiful. Why are you willing to give days of your life away????? It does require a lifestyle change. That is pretty simple once you get going because you are going to love the way the fat comes off--it is pretty easy at first and it really motivates you. I know I will ALWAYS keep the weight off because of the lifestyle changes I have made. I am never deprived of foods--I just eat small amounts of them. It is more about being able to have it and the taste of it vs the amount you eat.

Do it now, there is really nothing to fear. I know that is easy for me to say now, but I promise you it is true. You aren't the only person who has had these feeling & fears --trust me everyone of us have been down your road.

I am here for you and I am always happy to answer your questions. Ask away.

Hugs,

Suzanne :P

Thanks for posting all this. I have several questions. Im having the sleeve surgery 4/27/11 with Dr. Aceves. I know he is great b/c he put my lap band in and took it out last year.

The closer I get to the date the more panicked I am getting. Is this the right choice? Will I lose? Will I get reflux (I dont currently have it), how bad will it hurt, will I be able to swallow? I see so many people with problems now I am worrying that if I have a problem I wont have a dr. around to help me. What about a leak?

I had so many problems with my lapband. I was one of the ones that my body just completely rejected it. I guess I was so swollen up and it got so tight and I could not get anything- even Water down. So I worry if I will have some reaction to this surgery?

I trust Dr. Aceves so that helps. I know I will be treated good. But I have so many after surgery fears. Thanks for being so supportive!

Thanks for posting all this. I have several questions. Im having the sleeve surgery 4/27/11 with Dr. Aceves. I know he is great b/c he put my lap band in and took it out last year.

The closer I get to the date the more panicked I am getting. Is this the right choice? Will I lose? Will I get reflux (I dont currently have it), how bad will it hurt, will I be able to swallow? I see so many people with problems now I am worrying that if I have a problem I wont have a dr. around to help me. What about a leak?

I had so many problems with my lapband. I was one of the ones that my body just completely rejected it. I guess I was so swollen up and it got so tight and I could not get anything- even Water down. So I worry if I will have some reaction to this surgery?

I trust Dr. Aceves so that helps. I know I will be treated good. But I have so many after surgery fears. Thanks for being so supportive!

Hi,

You will have very little pain and it will be controled by pain meds. Yes you will be able to swallow--you won't have the problems that you had with the lapband. This will be like having a normal stomach and you will not have any of the problems or issues that you have had. I am sorry that you had to go through all these things. I have never had a lapband, but all the things I read about them, I knew that wasn't for me. You will need to learn to chew you food up really well the first month and that is about it. I have no idea if you will have acid reflux, not everyone has it, but it is a simple fix and I found that Prilosec was the medication that worked best for me. I didn't have good luck with Nexium and a lot of people don't. If you have any more questions just ask me. I will be here to help in any way I can. Oh yes please tell Dr. Aceves that we talked and tell him I said Hi. He is fabulous!

Suzanne