Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering if you got tattoos while you were heavier, did they look the same when you lost the weight?

I was debating on getting a tattoo but not sure if I should get if after I hit goal or now. I can wait, but I'd like to get it done in the next six months.

I know a tattoo won't stretch because we're not gaining weight, but will they shrink?

Thanks

I would like to know the answer too. I have a pretty big one on my left forearm. I just hope its just as pretty after i lose weight. I have a small one above my right ankle but I am not as worried about it. I plan on getting a few more but after I lose at least most of the weight.

I have a full sleeve and also some on my back and I have noticed that in some spots where I was a bit heavier the skin stayed kind of stretched so it looks like it's hanging or pulling down -the cherry blossoms near my arm pit are kind of elongated. It's just a tiny bit but I can still tell. Hopefully when I start to work out or with time, it will tighten back up. I would suggest waiting but that's just my humble opinion. ;)

Yes, and no. I have 3 tattoos, 1 on my right shoulder blade, one across the top of my back right below the collar, and one in the small of my back.

The top 2 are fine, and have not changed at all. NOW, the one in the small of my back that was a straight line, cute little celtic strip swirly looking thing, is now affectionately called my "ass frown" by my husband. Instead of a stretching straight across the small of my back, it sags on the ends, and resembles a frown of sort, or kind of a crescent moon (not quite that severe but to give you a mental picture). I'm really glad I didn't have any on my chest, because they would be wrecked with how I lost weight and body shape. If I end up having a lower-body lift, I'll lose that tattoo so I'm not heartbroken over it. I am not a bikini wearing type girl regardless of how my body looks so I'm not worried about anyone else seeing it, and I rarely see it since it's on my back.

That's my experience thus far. That tattoo held up through the first 100lbs lost, but then it tragically has lost it's luster once my body really settled after I got into maintenance. Skin changes so many times that I'm not sure what will happen in the next couple of years.

Hope this helps ! ! !

Thanks!! I currently have one on my right shoulder, so you guys have given me hope that that one will still look okay once I'm at goal. I think I will wait until I'm really close to goal to get the other one though.

I'm heavily tattooed. Both arms are completely sleeved. No change ywt but I'm only about 35 pounds down. The only ones I think that won't change will be my knuckle tattoos! Haahahaa

I kind of like that idea MBrideman, I might do that, but I would choose something other than butterflies and I would wait until I was at goal and in the maintaince phase. I think that would be a great way to clear up "war wounds".

I also remember this episode of Sister Sister when I think about tattoos. The mother of Tia, Jackie, had a little tabby cat when she was younger, but as she got older and put on weight. It turned into a tiger because of the stretch marks and stretched skin. It always makes me laugh out loud when I think about it. I would wait.

Thanks!! I currently have one on my right shoulder, so you guys have given me hope that that one will still look okay once I'm at goal. I think I will wait until I'm really close to goal to get the other one though.

Personally, if you go with any "stretchy" areas, small of back, butt, ribcage, belly, I would recommend waiting a minimum of 6 months after you get to goal. The reason I say this is because my skin, and body shape has changed so many times in the last year that I've been in maintenance that I've lost count. I lost an additional 23ish pounds trying to get my losing to stop over a 4 month time period after hitting goal. BUT I dropped from a 36C cup to a TINY 32B, and from a junior XL and size 9/10 jean at 148lbs to a size 2 and Xsmall/Small tops at 125ish pounds. I dropped major inches, and my body has changed, fat has redistributed, skin has rebounded. I really wanted to have one down my side/ribcage area and honestly if I would have had it done last year, it'd be wrecked and sagging.

Here's some pictures for comparison:

Right around goal weight December 2009 (6.5 months post-op 115lbs lost) Junior XL dress 36 C bra

16644_242265336417_744801417_4637208_4438552_n.jpg

And, here I am at 125ish pounds, (6 months after hitting goal)size 4 Calvin Kein crops, the little jacket thing is a size small, and I have on an Xsmall Tank.

29854_435688171417_744801417_6002146_3140297_n.jpg

What about getting tattoos over your surgery scars? Im thinking about getting small butterflies over the incision sites.

That,,,,,,is an AWESOME IDEA! Someone suggested I do something like that too. I have a feeling my incisions will fade over time. I'm weird in the way I get my tattoos. I'm working on a chest plate right now....but not tattooing my boobs. I think the incision tattoos are a definate possibility. I've been slathering Mederma over the incisions since they closed and I can see a bit of a difference =)