Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got a call from my doctor's nurse yesterday and I found out I'm scheduled for April 14, 2011. I'm so excited and nervous and worried and pleased and hopeful and doubtful and EXCITED all rolled into one. This process has been quick for me - I had my first consultation on March 18 - so I've gotten all my labs, tests, evaluations, nutrition and my date in under a month. Nothing motivates weight loss like a upcoming surgery! I'm happy to share if people want to ask me about it.

Regarding nay-sayers. I've been working hard with a trainer for about 2 years now. She's like a family member. I waited to tell her until this week, and she looked so shocked and like she was going to cry. She started to lecture me and I shut that down pretty quick. Then she asked me a series of questions that I answered really honestly that seemed to get her on board rather than battling me. I thought these might help others when having those uncomfortable and frustrating discussions:

1. You realize that you're never going to be able to eat whatever you want again, right? You'll have to change your diet forever.

Answer: Wouldn't I need to do that regardless if I wanted to lose 60+ pounds and maintain it? I'm making a lifestyle change - and this option is giving me a tool that puts me in the 85% success rate rather than the 2% a traditional diet would give me.

2. But you're going to have to be on supplements the rest of your life!

Answer: I ALREADY take supplements daily for my health. Where is the change there? And since when does taking Calcium, Iron, a Multivitamin and B12 alarm anyone? Seems pretty healthy to me.

3. There will be foods you will never get to eat again.

Answer: True - at first. But eventually after my stomach heals, I can eat whatever I want. Does that mean I will? No. Because I have a tool that is going to help me make healthy choices. And if I was trying another traditional diet, isn't it true that in order to make lifestyle changes, there would be foods that I would probably have to give up or significantly limit? So wouldn't I be doing that anyway?

4. But your eating is also emotional. Your surgery won't cure that.

Answer: True. That's why I have my core loved ones that are here to support me. I'd like you to be one of those people. I also plan on staying in talk therapy and going to weekly weight watcher meetings. I may also look at some overeaters anonymous meetings. I'm certainly not alone and I know I am going to need support.

5. I just don't think you should give up on your workouts.

Answer: Who said I was doing that? I have to take a few weeks hiatus while I heal, but I still plan to meet with you weekly - like physical therapy. And my doctor recommends 4-6 1 hour workouts a week after I'm cleared, so I would still need you in my life!

That seemed to do that trick. I hope some of you find that helpful! And regarding those people who are just negative - screw 'em. You're future success is their future anxiety. That's their issue - not yours!

Answer: Who said I was doing that? I have to take a few weeks hiatus while I heal, but I still plan to meet with you weekly - like physical therapy. And my doctor recommends 4-6 1 hour workouts a week after I'm cleared, so I would still need you in my life!

That seemed to do that trick. I hope some of you find that helpful! And regarding those people who are just negative - screw 'em. You're future success is their future anxiety. That's their issue - not yours!

I really like the end... "I will still need you in my life". I think people feel like we are leaving them behind. Friends want their fat buddy to laugh with and overeat with. Family are worried about the actual complications and loss of you, but that could happen with obesity. Gym buddies and trainers probably think we won't work out, or it is an easy alternative to working out, but they go hand in hand.

Thank you for sharing.

Where did you get the 85% success rate for VSG from? I've seen stats saying it's a lot higher. Anyway, this is very well put and it's nice you're sounding so positive. All the best. rolleyes.gif

Where did you get the 85% success rate for VSG from? I've seen stats saying it's a lot higher. Anyway, this is very well put and it's nice you're sounding so positive. All the best. rolleyes.gif

My doctor mentioned that statistic.

Yeah - surgery date ahead. Exicited for you. Maybe your trained felt like he/she failed you? Weight surgery is almost always frowed upon by trainers.

I am (was) fat because I am emotional? What about my skinny friends who are high stress people who smoke...aren't they emotional too? If I could have done this on my own, I would have but I needed help. Hence the WLS.

So glad to hear you will be continuing your workouts. Good habit to keep. Congrats on the date! Love my sleeve and no regrets.

Maybe your trained felt like he/she failed you? Weight surgery is almost always frowed upon by trainers.

I think she did. However, my heart rate and BP are a total tribute to her efforts. She just can't control what I put in my mouth - and after years of yo-yo dieting, I came to the conclusion that, to an extent, I couldn't either since my inability to lose after a few months always discouraged me and made me give up. I'm also an emotional eater. I'm excited/nervous about taking the food away so that the reasons I eat become more pronounced. This way I can really get to the core of my healing and keep this weight off!

Great answers!!!!! At least she didn't throw the "your going to die" phrase at you. It is true, the sleeve is going to change what you eat and definitely how much you eat. The process is EXTREMELY emotional. Mourning the loss of food for comfort, wondering why you have to do something so drastic to keep from eating too much - it is a tough process on the other side. But, it is worth it.

You did a great job answering her concerns and preserving your friendship. Most people speak from a place of not knowing anything about WLS. They don't always mean to be negative or hurtful, they just don't understand the procedure.

Good luck!

lara

Im a newbie but wanted to say congrats! Not only on your surgery but also on your ability to deal with the people like that! I only told 4 people close to me but even they (incl. hubby) were trying to talk me out of it! I did the same thing as you and eventually they agreed. It's so funny how they all knew someone who knew someone who had the worst surgery but when I ask for their name and number....nothing! I guess I will soon be the person they have in mind when they tell the next person and I too will be forgotten lol.

Wonderful news for you and great answers!

You could also add, for the one about taking supplements for the rest of your life, that you would likely end up having to take meds for blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol instead. Which is better?

Thanks everyone! It's been an empowering journey and I'm excited for the next step. I started off freaked out and doubtful and now I'm feeling more confident and comfortable. Another food for thought that I had - if you remove the surgery aspect (which is always what freaks people out), this procedure is actually very homeopathic. We are choosing to alter our stomach, but we have full control of what we put in our mouths. I'm choosing to continue my journey with whole foods, organic whey Proteins, Probiotics, stevia, and organic fruits, veggies and grass fed meats. I plan to take high quality Vitamins. I won't be eating pre-packaged artificial foods. I won't be eating cancer causing artificial sweeteners. No more corn Syrup or preservatives or trans fats. If you take a look at the quality of food you put in your body with Nutrisystem or Jenny Criag verses the whole foods that we can put in our bodies, the VSG is much more healthy and holistic. It actually makes MORE sense to do this than to follow Slim Fast or Atkins or all those other diet giants out there that pump you full of artificial chemicals and processed foods. We are going to have the power and control to be very picky and selective about what we put in our bodies. Doesn't that seem much more sane than signing up for another crap filled diet plan? I've gotten a few people to shut up with this fact too.

Love your post!!! Best of luck :)

You could also add, for the one about taking supplements for the rest of your life, that you would likely end up having to take meds for blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol instead. Which is better?

That is VERY true! Excellent point that I didn't even think about. There are so many worse things to be putting in our bodies over the long term.... But people don't really think about that. All they hear is "surgery" and think it's drastic. Taking drugs the rest of your life is drastic, if you ask me.