Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How's the sleeve help vs the band (considering revision from plication)

Hi, I'm getting nowhere with my plication. I'm 3 months out and I don't feel much different to before (ie I get as hungry and can eat nearly as much).

I'm considering VSG (if that's a possibility - I know it is in theory, but don't know if it's been done). I'm hoping I'm more like a bandster (without the slippage/erosion or things getting stuck).

My question is how is the sleeve helping compared to before? I saw someone say that at 22 months out they couldn't get down a whole chicken breast. I'm 3 months out and can do that no probs (no nausea, nothing). BTW I got a 32 bougie. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can as I don't want to fail again!! angry.gif

Any input is much appreciated.

HI,

Can only speak about band to sleeve revision. Dr Aceves did mine about 6 weeks ago. I would read on this board about not being able to eat a few tablespoons early out and about 5-6 ozs 6 months to a year out. Found it unbelievable since that is what my band surgeon (not Dr Aceves) also said and it never came true.

I can eat 1-2 ozs at a time if I eat sold Protein and chili and Soup about 1/4 cup. I know those numbers will go up as I get further out. The sleeve it what I thought the band would be after the fill level was correct. Not true, it is SO much better.

Good Luck.

Sorry about your plication. There are not as many plication patients out there, so I don't even know who you could talk to about it. You should contact Dr Aceves' office since he does a lot of revision surgeries and see what he has to say about it. I have not heard of anyone doing the plication to VSG. I converted from a lap band 3 weeks ago and can't eat more than 2 oz. I don't really so Soups, anymore, only solids. It takes me about an hour to drink a 17 oz bottle of Water. It takes me an hour to drink about a 10 oz drinkable yogurt. I can only get in about 400 cals per day. I imagine it will expand a little over the next few months, but most people have this limit for a while.

I wish you luck in finding some answers.

Lara

That would be me that stated the 22 month thing about a chicken breast, and I'm being honest, I still to this very day can not sit down and eat an entire chicken breast in the prescribed 20-30 minutes meal timeframe.

I can tell you the difference with my sleeve vs. my band.

With my sleeve at 22 months post revision from the band:

I am never hungry. No physical hunger, my stomach never growls and I have gone up to 16 hours without eating before thinking "holy crap, I need to eat". Early out I could only manage to get 2oz of Protein in per meal, but that amount increased over time. My max on dense Protein is about 4-6oz depending on what type of meat, soft fish-6oz, chicken 3-4oz, these measurements are by volume not weight so there is some differences. If I throw bread in the mix with meat, I can eat an ounce or 2 more, not much, but bread is a slider for me. Plus consistency, and food lube changes everything. Chicken salad, I can eat 3/4 cup of chicken salad, no problem. Chili is the same. Throw some sauce/condiment/gravy in with my protein and I can eat more. I do literally eat anything and everything I want. I eat bread, rice, potato, steak, chicken, scallops, Pasta, all veggies (raw and cooked), salad (oh how I love salad)

With the band:

I had hunger the second the food slipped from the pouch

Food got stuck, some days it was chicken the next day it could be a couple of apple slices, and then there were the days I'd puke on Water

I relied on sliders for nutrition because dense protein was pretty much a no go 75-85% of the time

Lettuce was a complete NO NO with my band, wasn't having it, if I tried, I puked violently

I had chronic pain from my port

I would recommend checking out my blog and look for the post that is marked VSG links, it's full of information on the sleeve.

Look for a good revision surgeon.

You can also check out

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/ at the bottom are research links, there's links of discussion from obesityhelp.com on there for personal stories as well.

Best wishes in your research.

Are you on a PPI? After my VSG, I still got extreme hunger, even after I had already eaten and my little pouch was full. I was distressed, because I was hungry ALL the time. My doc and the support here said it was 'false' hunger caused by acid production. Yes, I do have restriction, so that is helping me not gain weight, but the weight loss has been very slow.

I am now 7 months out and my hunger has dissipated in the last 1.5 months, but during months 2 - 5 the hunger was driving me crazy. Hopefully the acid production is adjusting itself. The only thing that really helped me was chewable Gaviscon. It quelled the hunger pangs, filled the imaginary void in my tummy.

So maybe you just need to give your body more time to heal and adapt. And try an acid reducer or preventer (PPI)

Tee hee... that was you I was talking about!! wink.gif

That would be me that stated the 22 month thing about a chicken breast, and I'm being honest, I still to this very day can not sit down and eat an entire chicken breast in the prescribed 20-30 minutes meal timeframe.

OK, I'm going to see the doc about getting some sort of antacid. I'd read about it helping, but I've also read about acid reduction causing problems. Anyway you've given me the push I needed and I'm finally going to give it a go under medical supervision. Thanks for the reply and I'll keep my fingers crossed! biggrin.gif

Thanks to everyone else who replied too - I really appreciate it.

Are you on a PPI? After my VSG, I still got extreme hunger, even after I had already eaten and my little pouch was full. I was distressed, because I was hungry ALL the time. My doc and the support here said it was 'false' hunger caused by acid production. Yes, I do have restriction, so that is helping me not gain weight, but the weight loss has been very slow.

I am now 7 months out and my hunger has dissipated in the last 1.5 months, but during months 2 - 5 the hunger was driving me crazy. Hopefully the acid production is adjusting itself. The only thing that really helped me was chewable Gaviscon. It quelled the hunger pangs, filled the imaginary void in my tummy.

So maybe you just need to give your body more time to heal and adapt. And try an acid reducer or preventer (PPI)