Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can overeating one time stretch out your sleeve?

Yesterday for dinner, I overate. It didn't look like much. I didn't feel full, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks! It was the first time I tried pork. I had an ounce of pork tenderloin, 4 green Beans and 2 quarter inch thick potatoes. Doesn't sound like a lot, didn't look like a lot. Everything was measured and chewed 400 times. Well, it was a ton of food in my stomach. Good lord pork is dense! I felt so awful all night! I had to throw up to relieve some of the pressure. It felt like I had gotten kicked in the stomach by a mule, and it kept creeping back up my throat. It was awful.

Now I'm being paranoid. Could I have done some damage to my new tummy and stretched it out by overeating? God, I hope not. I don't feel sick this morning, but I'm scared that it's stretched out now and I'll be able to eat a Whopper from Burger King if I tried. Just when I was finally able to lose weight, what if I sabotaged it? Damn, I wish this sleeve came with a warning label, or a buzzer or flashing light or something!

No, you can NOT stretch your stomach out. It would take constant overeating to the point of puking every meal to get any stretch going on. To this day, at over 21 months out, I still can not eat pork.

Each month passes your capacity will change with your sleeve until it reaches maturity. Some degree of stretching occurs, but you can't do with eat a whole whopping 4oz of food. It's just not physically possible. The sleeve relaxes and becomes acclimated to accepting larger portions of food as time passes, but there is NOT enough tissue left behind to make it stretch out to pre-op size.

It sounds like you are measuring your portions so just continue to follow your guidelines and avoid pork for awhile.

Tiff,

Great advice!

Yesterday for dinner, I overate. It didn't look like much. I didn't feel full, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks! It was the first time I tried pork. I had an ounce of pork tenderloin, 4 green Beans and 2 quarter inch thick potatoes. Doesn't sound like a lot, didn't look like a lot. Everything was measured and chewed 400 times. Well, it was a ton of food in my stomach. Good lord pork is dense! I felt so awful all night! I had to throw up to relieve some of the pressure. It felt like I had gotten kicked in the stomach by a mule, and it kept creeping back up my throat. It was awful.

Now I'm being paranoid. Could I have done some damage to my new tummy and stretched it out by overeating? God, I hope not. I don't feel sick this morning, but I'm scared that it's stretched out now and I'll be able to eat a Whopper from Burger King if I tried. Just when I was finally able to lose weight, what if I sabotaged it? Damn, I wish this sleeve came with a warning label, or a buzzer or flashing light or something!

LOL!! Sorry I had to chuckle at the highlighted... I seriously doubt anyone with the sleeve will ever be able to polish off an entire Whopper... ever again. TG, right?? LOL

Anyway, the good answer Shanny is that NO you did not stretch your sleeve to obscene amounts. The information I received from Dr. Cirangle is that your sleeve will stretch usually from about 2-3 oz. up to about 6 oz. That's not even a cup of volume. No worries.

Regarding pork, I totally agree with. It's super dense, I even had to stop eating it. It kept making me feel not so good when I'd eat it, that and beef. Then I come to find out that beef and pork can keep some folks to holding on to excess weight. True or not true, I'm not sure. But ever since I've stopped eating them I've been losing at a really good pace. I have no desires to eat them again at this time. I've never been a beef fan anyway really but I did used to love pork!!! I'm kinda over it now, as I haven't had any in about 2 months now. Don't really miss it.

Good luck to you, though I really think you are ok - hugs!!!

Hi Shanny! I love pork and have eaten it since I started eating meat. It's high in Protein but seems to me more dense than anything else!! It has been pork that has gotten me every time. I've never gotten "sick" but I've been uncomfortable a few times. I cannot eat as much pork as I can steak, ground meat or chicken.....I can eat more fish than anything else. I love pork chops and pork tenderloin, just less!! Don't worry and just eat slow and less, stop and see how you feel before finishing. You're smart, measure!! At nine months, I still measure and weigh my food!!

Tiff, you always give such great advice! This board is so lucky to have you!

Agreed!

I remember my first time overeating was at a bar/grill. We ordered some of these good cheese bacon french fries and I maybe had 7-10 of them. Everything felt fine until it sunk in that I had ate too much. I had to run to the bathroom because this frothy regurgitation junk was coming up. It was super uncomfortable too - but at least at that point I knew what it feels like to overeat and that I didn't want to get to that point again.

And yeah - I'll be seriously surprised if I'll be able to eat an entire whopper in less than 2 hours.

Shanny - Not to mention, a whopper has 40 grams of fat. 11 grams of sat. fat and 51 carbs. Even if it takes ALL day to eat it......I'm not sure it's a wise choice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choices like a Whooper is what landed us in the waiting room of a bariatric surgeon, or at least contributed!!! :)