Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post-Op and in need of motivation!

Hello Everyone.

I first want to say that I've been reading this forum since a month before surgery and everyone inspired me to make the decision to have the sleeve done. So thanks for your generosity when blogging on here.

I'm five days post-op and am not sure how to feel about my decision. I'm 24 years old. I miss food but don't feel hungy. I hope that I have made the correct decision by having this surgery; my Mom told me that when I woke up from the anesthesia the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "What have I done to my body?" Everyone's success stories on here help me keep my chin up, but for now I'm feeling like a physical and emotional wreck.

I've lost 7 pounds since my surgery date, but that was probably how much my stomach weighed! haha! I'm not feeling too energic and am taking in absolutely no Protein. I'm getting maybe 50 calories a day from popsicles and my chewable Vitamin. Once I get to day 7 I can start drinking the Protein drinks, so hopefully I'll have more energy and be slightly more positive. I decided to come into work today just to get some of the walking in. I'm not quite sure if that was a good idea.

I look forward to chronicling my journey on here and hope that everyone will be as supportive with me as they are with everyone else (if that makes any sense...) =)

Also, where does everyone get those cool weight loss ticker things at the bottom of their blogs? I want one!

Thanks everyone. Much love.

Sarah

Hello Everyone.

I first want to say that I've been reading this forum since a month before surgery and everyone inspired me to make the decision to have the sleeve done. So thanks for your generosity when blogging on here.

I'm five days post-op and am not sure how to feel about my decision. I'm 24 years old. I miss food but don't feel hungy. I hope that I have made the correct decision by having this surgery; my Mom told me that when I woke up from the anesthesia the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "What have I done to my body?" Everyone's success stories on here help me keep my chin up, but for now I'm feeling like a physical and emotional wreck.

I've lost 7 pounds since my surgery date, but that was probably how much my stomach weighed! haha! I'm not feeling too energic and am taking in absolutely no Protein. I'm getting maybe 50 calories a day from popsicles and my chewable Vitamin. Once I get to day 7 I can start drinking the Protein drinks, so hopefully I'll have more energy and be slightly more positive. I decided to come into work today just to get some of the walking in. I'm not quite sure if that was a good idea.

I look forward to chronicling my journey on here and hope that everyone will be as supportive with me as they are with everyone else (if that makes any sense...) =)

Also, where does everyone get those cool weight loss ticker things at the bottom of their blogs? I want one!

Sarah

One of the great You Tubers said something I think you can apply to yourself- his doctor told him to expect to feel, for a week or two "Why did I do this?", and then, after a month or two to say "Why didn't I do this sooner?".

You are at the worst part now- I Know this without having had the surgery yet and I learned it from everyone here. Give yourself time to adjust, and especially once you start being able to eat and you see the weight coming off I think you will be happy with your sleeve.

This is a great place for love and support. Also check out You Tube = there are great vloggers recording their journeys to inspire you. Many of them felt ghastly at first and I have not found anyone yet who would go back and not do their sleeve.

Good luck!

It can be hard at first, but you can make it! You are soooo lucky to have had the surgery at 24. I wish it had been available to me at that age. I feel like I have gotten my life back with the sleeve. Just think of what got you to this point. I promise once you start feeling amazing from the weight loss you will not think this is a mistake! I know you will love your sleeve. Just give it some time!

The weight loss tickers come from ticker factory.

There are other places too. Just click on somebody's ticker and it will usually take you to the website and show you how to do it.

i haven't done it yet, but on a smaller scale (pardon the pun lol) i compare it to my tongue ring....i HATED it for the first few weeks cuz i had to get used to it, couldnt eat etc....but now almost 8 or so years later, i love it.

I think it is truly a learning process....one of the big questions i have been asking everyone i know who has had WLS is "Do u regret it" and even those who had minor complications have all said no.

Keep ur head up and PRAY

I think for me, the thing that made me decide on the sleeve was what samantha209 said above. When I asked people on this board if they regretted it, the answer was a resounding NO. I think it can be tough at first, and it takes getting used to. But, for the most part it gets easier and easier over time. Just hang in there, and remember it gets better!!! Really....it does!

Hello Everyone.

Sarah

Day 5 was the worst for me. I was feeling better but had no strength because like you I was not getting enough protein. Well Day six I had had enough and drank my first 30 gram Protein Drink. It took 2 hrs but I immediately started feeling better. I drank 2 that day, one in the morning and one in the evening and what a difference.

I sipped very slowly.... and I mean very slowly to make sure i was able to handle it. I had my surgery on a Monday Feb. 28 and Saturday was the day I started drinking protein.

Best of luck!

I think your feelings are totally normal - and you're pretty much at par on the recovery timeline. I started getting better on days 6 and 7, and I can attribute it to finally being able to start getting my Protein and other calories in.

Don't worry - you got this.

<3, *hugs*, & :)

You and I must have had our sleeves the same day!! I started Protein about 24 hours after surgery. I use Unjury unflavored protein to make sugar free pudding and I use Unjury strawberry Sorbet to mix with Lemonade Crystal Light- these seem to go down alright though I have to make myself get in 60gms of protein a day. Water is very important too!! The only compaint I have right now is the JP drain in the right upper quad of my abd.- that thing is so annoying. I have asked myself many times why did I do this- then I think about my achy joints and how fatigued I get and remember that I got a lot to do and this extra weight is holdin' me back. rolleyes.gif

Hello Everyone.

Sarah

What you are feeling right now is sooo normal. Don't feel bad about questioning yourself either. I do believe many more people feel this way out of surgery than don't. I did!!! I'll be the first to tell you that... I thought I had made such a terrible mistake. I even took over a year to come to this decision, so I can't say it wasn't from doing research and taking my time. This feeling can happen to anyone. That being said, I'm thinking those feelings are simply because when you're lying in bed feeling miserable and in my case feeling severe nausea and even vomiting it's easy to wonder if I'd made the right decision.

That was six months ago now though, and today I don't question my decision for one second!!! I'm incredibly happy and I can do so very much more today than I could 65 Lbs ago. My knees so longer hurt and lock up on me, I can run, I feel empowered to do anything, and I'm loving all the compliments I get when people see me. I can shop in normal size clothes and I love dressing cute. I love the bug eyes I get back when I tell someone I need to lose 45 more pounds, as most think I'd be ok not to lose anymore weight. I know better though... LOL :) I'm absolutely content and happy!!!

You will be here too someday. It's going to take time and patience from you. I know I can be the biggest cheerleader for the sleeve sometimes, and its all genuine. I really AM glad I had my sleeve done now, and someday you will too.

Whoops forgot to add this from your ticker question - we have a tutorial:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/13516-ticker-tutorial-for-vst-lbt-with-pictures/