Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Sleevers! I have noticed so many comments from a lot of you saying you get full after just a bite or a few when eating and how you love how your sleeve makes you full after just so little. So, my question is, does your full feeling also make you feel satisfied after just a few bites?? This worries me a little because I used to have to get very full to feel satisfied after eating and even all these posts that mention fullness I realize do not equate to satisfaction. I also understand that satisfaction may be something we might have to learn to live without, but I would just like to know what that's been like for a few of you experienced sleevers! Thanks so much!! biggrin.gif

Excellent question! This is one of those things you will need to relearn. . . after eating and you feel full, your brain will be telling you that its so good you need more. . . this is where you will have to do a lot of self talk. . .no you don't need more. . .you get up and start doing other things other then eating. . . after your 30 minutes you drink something and continue to do something. . this is where your part of the job comes in. . . this is where the sleeve is the tool and you have to do the work . . . good luck! You can do this and with some hard work and determination you'll be successful too!

For me, I can't eat until I'm satisfied. Frankly because I've lost so much interest in food it's not funny. My stomach gets full at right around 3 oz of food. So, even though I measure my food, my internal scale says that's enough. If I eat one more bite, after I have that full pressure, I start to feel it backing up and it's not comfortable at all!!! But, eating still takes me so long. It takes me between 25-30 minutes to eat 3 oz of food, chewing 30 times, and waiting in between each time I take the spoon from my lips. I've learned that if I don't want indigestion, I 've got to eat very slowly. Trust me 5 minutes into eating I'm over it. I find myself holding food in my mouth because I don't want to swallow it, not because I'm not hungry just because I've lost interest in it.

I wonder if I'll ever eat until I'm satisfied again. I'm not complaining. Eating until I was saited is what got me in this mess in the first place!

yup totally understand that shanny, i still make very sure i have my meals over 30 minutes too. after 15 months out its a habit so thinking about it isn't hard . . .plus it's better that way. . .the losing interest part gets better. . . just hang in there. . . you'll do fine :D

I don't eat until I'm full and I don't need to feel satisfied now. It's very strange, before surgery I had to eat until I was stuffed and then I felt full, and sometimes I felt satisfied. Now, I eat because my body needs food to function. I have some food and sometimes I look at the next bite and think, "No, I don't think so." Sometimes it is because I feel full, but oftentimes it's because I just don't want any more of what I'm eating...it is, like Shanny said, because I'm just not interested in food anymore. It also helps that I am one of those who doesn't get hungry anymore. For me that was the biggest blessing of the surgery.

Thanks for the replies guys! I am just a little worried because I simply do love the taste of food! I love even healthy foods! And I am going to have to train my brain to be satisfied after a very little amount of food. I need my stomach to tell my brain to tell my taste buds I had enough! I think over time I will get it down. I am hoping that as time goes on I can become less interested in food like so many others have.

...I am one of those who doesn't get hungry anymore. For me that was the biggest blessing of the surgery.

Oh how I pray I am blessed in this way too!

I always ate everything in sight until I was stuffed and was never satisfied. Always wanting one more taste. I thought if I could just burn my taste buds off, life would be better! :blink:

I am 21days post op and can't even finish 1ounce of food! (unless it's just broth) I get full but not satisfied :( I hate that part, but 1 time I did continue to eat my chili and boy did it hurt! It was an hour of pain!! I ate 2oz of chili Beans. Never again. So now if I have to get up and leave my family alone at dinner, well then I get up and they understand.

I don't think you'll have a choice. It takes very little for the food to back up on you, and in between the horrible gas, indigestion and vomiting, you'll quickly learn that when your stomach says your full, even if it's only been 3 bites, then you're full! There's no other feeling to describe it! You may still love the taste of things, but you learn not to love them so much on the way back up. I used to love hamburgers, but I swear, I hate ground beef right now. Everytime I try to eat it it gets stuck in my chest for HOURS. It's horrible and so painful. Turned me off from it, completely. Not wishing you any painful foods, but that's one of the things I love about my sleeve. It's that physical indicator that I HAVE to listen to when my own voice was too weak to tell my brain to stop eating.

And for the record, sometimes, I don't even eat until I'm full, I just eat the 3 oz that's measured. I'm not hungry anymore, but I don't feel full, either. I just feel normal. I know that sounds weird, but it's the truth. I don't want to chance over eating, but lighter dishes I can go the whole 3 oz, probably more. My doc got me in the habit of eating the measured amount of food, not trying to gage my when I'm full. If I put 3 oz in a bowl, and eat less, that's fine. But, if I eat 3 oz, I haven't gone over and I'm not hungry so I don't want more. As I lose more weight and increase my calories I will be able to up my oz to 4 -6 oz. That seems like a lot to me!!!!