Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does full feel like?

I ventured into eating mashed potatoes for the first time tonight. I ate almost a whole little mini cup of applesauce earlier today so I was feeling confidant. I started eating and focused on taking small bites and going slow. I had hardly eaten 4 pretty small bites and I stated feeling like I had to burp. I tried to burp and it felt like I mites "vurp" if you know what I mean. My stomach did not really feel full but I stopped. Is this what full feels like? I am so used to eating to past full I don't know how to recognize what full feels like now. Can you guys describe what your full feeling is?

Wondering the same thing. Sleeved 3/8. I was able to eat 1/4C mashed potatoes yesterday. 1/2C Cream of chicken today.....But I know that was pushing it. Still can't define the feelings in my stomach.

ME TOO!!!!! Also sleeved 3/8, I was just telling my husband today, I just don't understand the feelings yet. Experienced folks please help!!!!!

My date was 3/9. I was really afraid to start eating because I did not want to eat too much and hurt myself, I just need some descriptions of what full feels like. I am glad I am not the only one with these feelings!

hi everyone!

i am new to the forum, but i am so glad i finally registered. my dr suggested i do this pre-op or post-op. my surgery date was 11.18.10, dr victor gonzales/center for obesity surgery

full is a new feeling indeed! to me, it feels like a voice saying, "i'm satisfied." i hadn't experienced that feeling before surgery. you'll learn to reallllly listen to your body more. your pouch will definitely tell you when it has had enough. when you start off, be sure to measure everything. you'll start to see how the proper amounts satisfy you and then you will be able to "eyeball" the proper portions when you are away from home.

good luck! :)

I'm just about 3 weeks out so I'm still on mushies, but for me it's a pressure feeling that gets uncomfortable. It's right after that, that I start to burp it back up.

I am still working on the feeling. I have once or twice had one bite too many and then was uncomfortable for the next 30 mins to 1 hour. I try to eat a bite and then wait a couple of mins before taking the next one to give my body the chance to signal that I am full. This is going to take awhile to get a hang of.

Hi all .. i just got sleeved o 3/10.. am still on liquids. n if i happen to gulp down more.. my stomach has this weird churning feeling.

can anyone advise me if u all stricly followed 30mls for every 15mins>?

Hey everyone...welcom to the new world of "full." I was sleeved on January 6 and for me, the feeling of full post-surgery is very different from "Thanksgiving Full." it just does not feel the same, however, it does the trick in letting me know that it's time to stop and at that point I really do feel satisfied. I know that feeling like I need to burp and that feeling is my full but I resist trying to make myself burp cuz sometimes it just ain't pretty. I hope this helps.

That is exactly what I felt like, like I needed to burp, I tried, but got the feeling that some of the food would come back up. I decided to stop to be on the safe side. It is so weird. I cannot wrap my brain around getting full from 4 small bites of mashed potatoes.

Very similar feelings here. I have noticed that I quickly ramp up to the FULL / SATIATED feeling - something I would always ignore pre-sleeve know full well I could always eat more. No, after the next bite or two I get a sudden cramp like warning - ENOUGH! The few times I've ignored THAT the next bite was similar to your experience, immediate nausea, sweating and the feeling it was coming back up. It lasts from 5 to 20 minutes while I writhe in pain turning bright red in the face. Frothy spit comes up and I hock it into a napkin or waste basket. Thankfully I have NOT thrown up, I absolutely HATE barfing.

I typically find that when I am eating while watching TV or chatting it sneaks up on me and I take to the pain level. It's only happened 3 or 4 times now, enough that I should know better.

The feelings are subtle and come on fast, so the key again is chew, chew, chew and eat SLOWLY. Once you get the subtle FULL signal, STOP! You will NOT like what the next few ites will bring.

Strict adherence to measured portions also helps. Know what you CAN eat and put no more than that on your plate.

I also get that "need to burp" feeling and know it's time to stop. I just go slow and listen to my body now, something I wish I could have done pre-op.

If I eat too fast (especially something that is harder to get down post-op like chicken) I do burp (not really burp, but more like regurgitate) up some frothy disgusting stuff for a while and feel very uncomfortable, but that's only happed twice so far.