Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't eat any solids for 9 months...please help

I had surgery out of the country. I've seen many doctors. I've taken out all Fluid of the band, but can't eat solids. I struggle to get 900 calories a day. I live on reconstituted herbal green drink, some powdered Protein and powdered Vitamins in soy milk, and get vit. B shots. I've only lost 20 pounds and went through several months of fainting spells. Anyone out there experiencing the same thing. I choke on yogart!!!

PS The Radiologist and another lap band surgeon say the band looks beautiful!

I had surgery out of the country. I've seen many doctors. I've taken out all Fluid of the band, but can't eat solids. I struggle to get 900 calories a day. I live on reconstituted herbal green drink, some powdered Protein and powdered Vitamins in soy milk, and get vit. B shots. I've only lost 20 pounds and went through several months of fainting spells. Anyone out there experiencing the same thing. I choke on yogart!!!

PS The Radiologist and another lap band surgeon say the band looks beautiful!

Are you saying you haven't eaten solids for 9 months? If so, that's not normal and I wouldn't care how beautiful the band looks, I would have it removed.

There are some people who have a allergic reaction to the plastic, maybe that's the case with you. I would really try to do a lot more reseach cause only 20lbs in 9 months due to a liquid diet is not normal and could be damaging to your health.

I hope and pray that things work out for you but please seak help from another doctor is necessary.

I so much appreciate your responses. I am looking at taking the band out with a USA doctor, but he was just sent to Iraq and won't be back until August. I would like to wait to see him, since he is an expert in weight loss and there is definately something else wrong with my scenerio.

I appreciate the comment about possibly being allergic to the plastic of the band. Amazingly enough, this has never been suggested and seems to make total sense.

I'm not trying to just get technical, but do you really *choke* on the food, as in it cannot get through your throat, or do you get stuck/PB on the yogurt, as in it cannot pass through the band?

Hi Singer,

I am not a doctor or medical professional. Please seek medical help immediately. It is not normal to be on liquids and to not eat solid foods for such a lengthy time.

Not wishing to be rude, but an allergic reaction to the band would not be the likely cause of you not being able to eat. If you had some kind of allergic swelling which seems an unlikely culprit, you would know that . If you lack the ability to eat it is most likely caused by:

!) THe band is too tight (possibly you need the larger VG band) and even unfilled is totally restricting you.

2) It is in the wrong position and may look good on flouro, but is not

3) You have an eroded band and it cant be seen without some form of endoscopy.

4) YOu have some form of achalasia or esophageal dysmotility

and you cant swallow properly

Regardless of which of the above it could be (and none of us know including doctors without further testing) you need to do something about it immediately. You could be causing yourself irreparable damage waiting like this.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

6/23/03

You have some form of achalasia or esophageal dysmotility and you cant swallow properly

Thats exactly what I was thinking. No fill, band looks good, sounds like the esophagus. JMHO

As good as my band worked for me.... I hate to hear of anyone having problems with thier band. However if you are not able to get solids down and aren't losing weight something is wrong... PLEASE go to a different Dr... get as many opinions and find out what is causing your problems and get this band fixed or taken out asap before you cause anymore damage!! Good luck and let us know what your outcome is. Good luck in your continued journey!! (((((HUGS)))To you I know the last months have been terrible for you!!

wow, it looks like the band has really been wonderful for you. You only have 25 lbs to go. I started at 195 and now weigh 177, but that is only on a good day. My weight had gone up to 197 in the past, so I generously credit the band with 20 pounds, but I could have done better on my own. I don't look like I weigh that much because I'm very muscular, but I'm only 5'2" and my goal is 125lbs. I know that when you have less to lose that it is harder and many banded patients have 100s of pound to lose, but this has been a nightmare never the less.

I am waiting on taking the band out due to a couple of factors.

1. I'm an opera singer and can't sing for 2-4 months after surgery. I had vocal problems after surgery for the first 8 months after, but I credit most of it from lack of nutrition. I recently got my voice back after I discovered Vit. B shots.

2. I would like to find out why this isn't working. I believe that something else is wrong and this has only complicated the reason why I couldn't lose weight before because I was very disciplined.

3. The surgeon that I believe can help me was just sent to Iraq and won't be returning until Aug. If I have surgery then, I won't be strong enough for an upcoming performance. I am trying to evaluate things as I go.

It doesn't look good to do much until Dec. 2006. I am beyond needing food, or taste, or anything to do with food. My fainting spells have stopped, and I believe that I am healthy with the Vit. supplements that I'm taking. I am having test to back this up, and if I'm wrong, I will have to act sooner.

I just want my old body back, and I am also afraid that if I take the band off, I will gain weight again. I was living off very few calories before the surgery and nothing would help.

Thanks so much for your response. It makes this easier to feel there is support available.

singer,

Please talk to Vinesqueen on this forum. She has not had the issues that you've had with not being able to eat, but she's had her band for over a year now (I'm pretty sure it's that long), and she's basically not losing any weight. She demanded answers from her doctors, and they diagnosed her with cushings disease and a pituitary tumor, both of which can be against weight loss. She was eating 700 calories a day at one point and not losing weight.

There are lots of bariatric surgeons in the country, and I think you should not wait for the doctor that went to Iraq. I know you must like him, but anyone can take your band out, and then he can help you with things when you get back.

You may also want to chat with Geezer Sue on this site, because she was banded and diagnosed esophageal dysmotility, and would probably be happy to compare notes with you.

I hope you feel better soon!