Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when does this get better?

I had the surgery Monday came home from the hospital wed and today I still can't drink.I know I have to be dehydrated and I try to sip but it hurts. I think I'm depressed too. All I want to do is lay in the bed I'm so weak

you've got to get up and get your hydration going..Go for a walk and sip sip sip. It is only going to get better if you walk and drink. You have to get with your doc and tell him the issues about you not getting hydration. Take your pain meds and drink. I will tell you one thing if you cant' get your hydration going you will be back in the hospital with a drip in your arm. I told my self when I got out I was going to do anything in my power not to go back in. Get to drinking...

You need to call your doctor and let him/her know that it hurts when you sip. But you have to drink or go to the ER and get a drip.

The first two weeks are the hardest then it gets so much easier!

yup everyone is right on the money here. . i'm 14 months out and must say it how it is STOP IT, pull up those big girl panties and go sip Water, koolaid, gatoraid, whatever but sip don't gulp and go for a walk even if it's to the mail box. . . your throat hurts from the intubation tube, it will go away. . . feeling sorry for yourself won't heal you . . .sorry to be so on target but that is how it is. . . good luck

I have heard warm liquids feel better in the beginning.

Most people gain a bunch of weight with the IV too! If you came here at all before, you saw sip sip sip walk walk walk all over the place... Its very good advice and you will feel better sooner if you do it then if you don't. You do NOT want to go to the Emergency room.

I had the surgery Monday came home from the hospital wed and today I still can't drink.I know I have to be dehydrated and I try to sip but it hurts. I think I'm depressed too. All I want to do is lay in the bed I'm so weak

first of all, take your pain medicine.

I would get enough liquid to wet my mouth and just let it sit there slowly dripping down.

I found that popcicles were easier because they only let a little liquid in at a time.

I also found warm drinks easier.

That being said, at five days out, I was not having pain while sipping.

You DONT want dehydration. its a vicious cycle. It makes you nauseous so that you want to drink even less.

YOU CAN do this!!

You asked...when does this get better? Soon, really soon. Hey, I did this surgery as an outpatient here in the US. I never had pain, but threw up for 2 days unless taking micro sips. You are doing so much better than me, as I did not even have strength for internet or TV first 3 days. Here are some helps.

• Get Gatorade G2 (low sugar) and do not refrigerate. I found room temperature drinks were easier to tolerate. Electrolytes are needed and you MUST hydrate. Don't worry about Vitamins, protien or other stuff. Get in liquids. I even drank luke warm diluted chicken broth like Lipton which tasted good. Make sure no noodles or chicken, just the broth.< /li>
  • Micro sips only, no gulps. If you must, get a shot glass and fill it up half way. SLOWLY dribble drink down. This is your full time job, every 15 minutes to micro sip and finish 1 oz of G2. If you do not hydrate (PS-the 64oz recommendation I found impossible to meet first month) you will continue to feel horrid. Are you listening? You must learn to drink or go to emergency room and then learn to drink.
  • Get a heating pad and put on low heat over your stomach. This was my lifesaver. I sat/slept in a recliner for first 3 days.

Hugs - this does get better, I promise. Write me if you are depressed, I will pick you up and help carry you through. No regrets.

You have GOT To get up an MOVE AROUND!!! SIP SIP SIP Come on you got the HARD part over with...EVERYDAY will get BETTER and BETTER!!! I did a heating pad every night but I did SIP as much as I can...that is a SIP not a GULP but a SIP very small amount. In a few days you are going to see how much better you feel and the more Water you get down the BETTER you are going to feel!! WALKING around helps too because you have a lot of gas right now....this causes a LOT of pain!

I PROMISE you one day SOON you will wake up and say WOW I FEEL GREAT!!!! Good luck and HANG IN THERE!!!!

warm tea is great for the tummy troubles. If not warm tea then ice chips or a Popsicle. Get some Gatorade and freeze it if cold works for you, but you must put some work into getting better.

I had surg 2wks and Cdays ago. I felt just like you, ive been to the er for fluids and once again inthe drs office. I felt so much better getting liquids because i just couldnt get enough in. My body hurt so bad, mouth so dry, and ZERO energy..it hurt to breath even. So i was thankful for the iv fluids to get me threw the first hard 2 wks. I coulndt tell u how many times i fell asleep with a glass tipped over on my chest. Take your pain meds..it takes the edge off and makes u feel alittle human. Popsicles were a life saver for me..sugar free ones and i love cold plain Water. Today is the first real day i see light......so like every one says...your day will come..its so hard to believe, but its coming hun

PLEASE take the advice, sip, sip, sip. I was sleeved Feb. 14th and was back in the hospital for 4 days on Feb. 25th for dehydration. You have to make yourself do it!

I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I am concerned about you saying you may be depressed... I remmember my second day was horrible, I did not want to get up, open the drapes, turn on the TV, connect to anyone by an means... I just wanted to be left alone and to sleep until it ended. That was not good and I asked the doctor for some medication to help me with my emmotions as that was not letting me do what I had to do to get better. I am wondering if there is anyone there with you, helping you to get better. Are you alone? Are you getting the support you need? Please make an effort to drink pedialyte or gatorade, a little broth or juice, get up and get a warm shower, it helps too. If you feel that you really cannot do it, go to a hospital to get hydrated... dehydration is really serious and needs to be treated properly. Count on all of us but look for in person help too. take care