Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant get more than 400 cal per day. Suggestions?

I am in the middle of a stall and trying to eat more but I do not seem to get more than 400 cal per day. I started eating eggs and blended meat. I feel full very fast and some times I even forget about eating. I set an alarm to remind me to eat every 3 hours but I feel so full I cannot get much in. My Protein intake is in the 40g per day maximum. Any suggestion on how I can increase protein and calorie intake considering the fact that I cannot get more than 2 ounces of food at once?

Could you add a Protein Shake to your day? Drink some milk? Add some Peanut Butter or full-fat cheese somewhere?

I think you need to eat every 2 hours. I feel like i have to eat all the time to get my 60-90 grams of Protein in. 40 grams is too low, but you are still in the early weeks so I think it is to be expected. My surgeon expected us to get 60-90 grams at 6 weeks post-op all from food (no shakes!!!) and to do that I would have to eat every 2 hours at least!

Get in a Protein shake that's 20+ grams of Protein but to be honest it took me a month to get in over 400 calories. I was on liquid for two weeks and then mushies for the next 4 with Protein shakes if needed but when I first started solids this is what I would consume:

4 egg whites (16 grams of protein) 68 calories

1/2 cup ff cottage cheese (16 grams of protein) 90 calories

1 chicken thigh slow cooked no bone/skin (14 grams of protein) 110 calories

2 cups of skim milk (16 grams of protein) 160 calories

Totals

62 grams of protein

428 calories

Of course check with your doctor and nutiritionist but this worked for me.

I also suggest a Protein supplement! It will help you get more protein in and also more calories! I make a Protein Drink in the mornings with 69g of protein and 390 calories! In the early days I was using 40g of Protein Powder, 9g from a cup of milk and that was lunch and dinner!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am trying to eat more frequently (easier at night) and I added Protein powder to my yogurt. I am alos having eggs and tolerating them well. Today I could have a small bottle of baby food (1230gm) without pain. It is getting better I think.

Thanks

I drank milk whenever i could early out.

I am in the middle of a stall and trying to eat more but I do not seem to get more than 400 cal per day. I started eating eggs and blended meat. I feel full very fast and some times I even forget about eating. I set an alarm to remind me to eat every 3 hours but I feel so full I cannot get much in. My Protein intake is in the 40g per day maximum. Any suggestion on how I can increase Protein and calorie intake considering the fact that I cannot get more than 2 ounces of food at once?

Protein Shots. Personally, I don't like the smell of them, but they do the trick. And set your timer on your phone and drink when it goes off.

I'm pre-op and I'm training myself to drink my Isopure RTD drinks (2gm of protein per oz). Not bad. But the timer reminds me to actually drink. Two of the bottles of this stuff gives me 80gms of protein. Add a protein shot to the drink and you've upped the protein by another 40gms. I started drinking the stuff, because I'm doing a pre-diet and dropped my calories (and my hair). 60 lbs off of my behind, but my beautiful hair is just falling out. So Protein Drinks, Biotin and protein Snacks daily.

You just recently had surgery! Your restriction is good, that is great!!! I am almost 9 months out and I can only eat a half cup at a time!! I hope it stays this way forever!!!! I reached goal in just under five months, I am eleven lbs under goal and could lose more!! I snack off and on during the afternoon to get in enough calories to maintain!!! During the end of my losing phase I was averaging 675 calories, but in the beginning, like you, (and i know this because I logged everything, still do) I got in between 350 and 500 calories per day. You do need to get in your Protein. I used the Protein bullets from GNC because the shakes grossed me out and they were SOOOOO big. The bullets are only 3.5 oz. I'd sip a little in the morning, at noon and later in the day..........I'd hold my breath and just do it. They pack about 43 grams of protein. I had 2 cups of skim milk per day, that is another 16 grams plus it counts as liquid!!! A win/win. An egg is 6 grams. A fourth cup of 1% cottage cheese is 6.5 grams!! A fourth cup of tuna (in water) is 6.5 grams. I mix the can with 2 TB of light mayo. I keep a bag of frozen shrimp on hand and steam a couple of oz of shrimp for lunch. I'm not sure off the top of my head what that is, but that is a lot of protein!!! You can do it........and you do NOT need to be eating more and don't worry about the calories. I know I did the same thing. They said, don't worry. At one point the dietitian said I could start drinking 1% milk if I wanted to. I hit a stall or two just like everyone else, but all in all, I have been thrilled and very successful. Not quite 90 lbs and that is more than I had initially planned on losing!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this helps!!!

I am in the middle of a stall and trying to eat more but I do not seem to get more than 400 cal per day. I started eating eggs and blended meat. I feel full very fast and some times I even forget about eating. I set an alarm to remind me to eat every 3 hours but I feel so full I cannot get much in. My protein intake is in the 40g per day maximum. Any suggestion on how I can increase protein and calorie intake considering the fact that I cannot get more than 2 ounces of food at once?