Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4000 calories with the Lap Band?

Greetings from a new guy (second post).

Here is my question, with some background.

I am 51 years old with a 39 BMI scheduled for lap band surgery in early August. I have always been physically active, but over the past few years, my weight has made it near impossible.

My hope is that the weight loss from the band will allow me to increase my excercise level and do things like a 10 mile run, go on a 7-day backpacking trip, maybe someday, even run a marathon. The problem is - this activity will require the intake of 3000-4000 calories or more in one day.

So, my question is, can a person practically intake 4000 calories a day with the lapband? If yes, how would you do it?

I am hoping some of the forum members are distance runners or backpackers and could provide some practical tips. I want to try a 7-day backpacking trip in Idaho in mid-September.

Thanks, in advance. I really appreciate this forum. Drifter.

You could get completely un-filled after you lose your desired weight and you want to start training. Un-filled you should be able to eat anything.

My guess would be high calorie liquids. Anyone else?

You know, I was re-reading my post and realized that it sounded a little arrogant. Here is this new guy who hasn't even been banded yet, talking about "running marathons" when others struggle with exercise and weight loss.

Actually, my question was based more in the unknown fear of not being able to do those type of activities after the band. I am afraid that it might be impossible to get in enough calories, as a banded person, to ever be able to achieve those goals.

I know that doesn't make much practical sense - because without the band - I will certainly never do those things in the future.

Anyhow - thanks for any replies. I appreciate the help. Drifter

Your post wasn't arrogant. I thought it interesting. I think I would consult with a nutrionist or lap band doctor when the time comes. They would be the best to advice you.

That is such a wonderful goal and I know you will be able to do it when the time is right.

I don't think it's arrogant to talk about running marathons. Lots of people have goals to do things like that.

I think that you would need to work the band to lose the weight, and then as someone suggested, have the band unfilled, partially or all the way.

Of course (and don't take this the wrong way), it is also going to depend on how you gained the weight in the first place. If it's just a matter of eating too much, or eating junk, the band can help you eat less at one time, as long as you can work on making the right choices; but then can you be sure to not go back to those choices, when you unfill the band to eat more for training.

hope this helps!

Hi Drifter,

I have been banded 3 years and I could easily eat 4000 calories a day if I wanted to. It would be a little challenging, but I just got back from a cruise to the Bahamas and I am sure I was grazing and eating at least 3000 calories of fish, sauces, oatmeal etc...omelettes, bacon, bread and butter etc.. I am talking mostly healthy food here and believe me it can be done. Definitely not something you need to worry about especially since the fill level could be adjusted to help you to eat more volume of solid Protein. DOnt worry about it!!!

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

-150 ish

I think its a great goal and personlly I think those that have achievable goals like this, something where weight loss becomes the byproduct and not the sole focus, tend to be more successful.

If you were training for that sort of thing, and working out regularly at that level, chances are you could have your band unfilled completely and maintain your weight - as long as you stuck with good foods and didnt go back to old habits. That's the rub, would you be able to manage your appetite with an unfilled band. I started running a little while back and though I plan to continue becuase i love it it hasnt helped my weight loss a lot. Its reshaped my body most definitely but it also caused my appetite to jump markedly so that kind of cancels out the calories burned.

But you could eat a normal banded diet and add high calorie liquids like Protein shakes to provide the extra energy. Things like Optifast too are very nutritious and would provide a lot of the extra stuff your body would be looking for.