Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It has been 3 months.....

Hi everyone,

I am not real good with talking about myself, that's why I just say add on me on Facebook to keep up with my progress lol. But for my 3 month anniversary since being sleeved I thought I would make a contribution of my journey thus far.

My journey started a few years ago when I first started hearing more about weight loss surgery. At that time though, my mind sent about weight loss surgery was that it was for those looking for an easy way out of their responsibilities of taking care of their body. I thought to myself that I was responsible for putting the weight on and I should be responsible for taking it off. As I tried to do that I found it was impossible to reverse the damage already done and also maintain the life schedule I had. I met someone who had the bypass and she explained everything she was going through. I started to realize that it is not easy at all and that it is just a different type of responsibility to commit to a surgery; and by far it was not taking an easy way out.

In July 2010 I woke up one day and said I am going to get the surgery. I went to the orientation meeting, and then in Sept 2010 I started all the preliminary doctor appts. In the second week of October they submitted everything to my insurance and told me it would probably be 30 days before we heard back. Well we heard back within 24 hours from my Medica insurance and I was approved!

The funny thing is at this time I was going to have the bypass!

I then finally met my surgeon and he said "you should really think about the sleeve." Well a lot of the research out there said go with the bypass, but I also did not realize that the sleeve was so new and that's why it was lacking information and research. I trusted my surgeon after he explained the differences and decided to get sleeved on November 10, 2010.

In September I weighed in at 343. The day of surgery I weighed 329. 3 months later I now weight 260lbs. I have lost 10 inches off my waist and 4 inches off my hips.

I have gone from a size 28 shirt to a size 16, and a size 28 pants to a 22. I still have a long way to go but with this surgery I know I will succeed in reaching my goal.

But it hasn't been all fun. I have gone through many trials of finding the right foods my body won't reject. I use to be able to eat fish/tuna/seafood, but now my body rejects to the point of vomit. Last night I tried a little bit of pulled pork for the first time and that I think went well. I have been living on chicken!!!! It seems to be the only meet my body is comfortable with. I never did eat a lot of beef, so I haven't been in a rush to try it.

I have found that whey Protein in crystal light/water has been wonderful! the fruit punch crystal light is the bomb and I put 28g of Protein scoop in every time.

Right after Christmas I did go through a two weeks stall where I thought I might lose my mind! the scale wasn't moving, but I could feel my clothes getting looser. I would come to the forum and read everyone's posts about stalling and they were so helpful, and I thank all of you for posting your experiences because it helped get me through my fears by reading them.

Along with eating right, I joined a health club and I work with a personal trainer once a week and then I work on my own the rest of the week. He sort of helps me set the tone for my week which I like. My personal trainer is also a metabolic technician which allows him to have special knowledge to what my body is doing because of the surgery. Some said why waste the money on the trainer? Well my answer is because I do not have the knowledge to have figured out where to begin. Walking on a treadmill is great, but I wanted to do more. I wanted to strengthen my body, not just lose weight.

When I started weight training with him we had a regimen of 2 rounds 15 reps a piece on the following:

leg press 680lbs

shoulder press 20lbs

chest press 20lbs

lat pull down 20lbs

row 20lbs

Now I am at:

leg press 160lbs

shoulder press 40lbs

chest press 40lbs

lat pull down 60lbs

row 60lbs

I was walking at only 2.4 miles per hour and now I am walking at 3.

So has sort of been me over the past three months. I do not know if any of it useful to those about to get sleeve, but if I had to give any advice it would be have patience and be dedicated.

It has been a life changing experience, and it has better me as a person. Not because I am getting thinner, but because it has brought out the confidence that was always in me but hidden, and has me wanting things out of life I never thought I could have before....and none of it has anything to do with my size.

Good luck everyone!

Wow, so glad for your successes. Keep on keeping on! Great job!

Fabulous journey so far Melissa! I love your weight training, you're doing really really amazing!

BTW I looked up Melissa Rausch and it came up with numerous choices. You may add me, my link is in my signature line. :) Continue with the good work!!

Wow Melissa -- I found myself nodding in agreement as I read -- so much of what you felt, I did too :) Loved your story and found it very inspirational -- 83 pounds -- wow!! you rock!! :)

Hi everyone,

I am not real good with talking about myself, that's why I just say add on me on Facebook to keep up with my progress lol. But for my 3 month anniversary since being sleeved I thought I would make a contribution of my journey thus far.

My journey started a few years ago when I first started hearing more about weight loss surgery. At that time though, my mind sent about weight loss surgery was that it was for those looking for an easy way out of their responsibilities of taking care of their body. I thought to myself that I was responsible for putting the weight on and I should be responsible for taking it off. As I tried to do that I found it was impossible to reverse the damage already done and also maintain the life schedule I had. I met someone who had the bypass and she explained everything she was going through. I started to realize that it is not easy at all and that it is just a different type of responsibility to commit to a surgery; and by far it was not taking an easy way out.

In July 2010 I woke up one day and said I am going to get the surgery. I went to the orientation meeting, and then in Sept 2010 I started all the preliminary doctor appts. In the second week of October they submitted everything to my insurance and told me it would probably be 30 days before we heard back. Well we heard back within 24 hours from my Medica insurance and I was approved!

The funny thing is at this time I was going to have the bypass!

I then finally met my surgeon and he said "you should really think about the sleeve." Well a lot of the research out there said go with the bypass, but I also did not realize that the sleeve was so new and that's why it was lacking information and research. I trusted my surgeon after he explained the differences and decided to get sleeved on November 10, 2010.

In September I weighed in at 343. The day of surgery I weighed 329. 3 months later I now weight 260lbs. I have lost 10 inches off my waist and 4 inches off my hips.

I have gone from a size 28 shirt to a size 16, and a size 28 pants to a 22. I still have a long way to go but with this surgery I know I will succeed in reaching my goal.

But it hasn't been all fun. I have gone through many trials of finding the right foods my body won't reject. I use to be able to eat fish/tuna/seafood, but now my body rejects to the point of vomit. Last night I tried a little bit of pulled pork for the first time and that I think went well. I have been living on chicken!!!! It seems to be the only meet my body is comfortable with. I never did eat a lot of beef, so I haven't been in a rush to try it.

I have found that whey Protein in crystal light/water has been wonderful! the fruit punch crystal light is the bomb and I put 28g of Protein scoop in every time.

Right after Christmas I did go through a two weeks stall where I thought I might lose my mind! the scale wasn't moving, but I could feel my clothes getting looser. I would come to the forum and read everyone's posts about stalling and they were so helpful, and I thank all of you for posting your experiences because it helped get me through my fears by reading them.

Along with eating right, I joined a health club and I work with a personal trainer once a week and then I work on my own the rest of the week. He sort of helps me set the tone for my week which I like. My personal trainer is also a metabolic technician which allows him to have special knowledge to what my body is doing because of the surgery. Some said why waste the money on the trainer? Well my answer is because I do not have the knowledge to have figured out where to begin. Walking on a treadmill is great, but I wanted to do more. I wanted to strengthen my body, not just lose weight.

When I started weight training with him we had a regimen of 2 rounds 15 reps a piece on the following:

leg press 680lbs

shoulder press 20lbs

chest press 20lbs

lat pull down 20lbs

row 20lbs

Now I am at:

leg press 160lbs

shoulder press 40lbs

chest press 40lbs

lat pull down 60lbs

row 60lbs

I was walking at only 2.4 miles per hour and now I am walking at 3.

So has sort of been me over the past three months. I do not know if any of it useful to those about to get sleeve, but if I had to give any advice it would be have patience and be dedicated.

It has been a life changing experience, and it has better me as a person. Not because I am getting thinner, but because it has brought out the confidence that was always in me but hidden, and has me wanting things out of life I never thought I could have before....and none of it has anything to do with my size.

Good luck everyone!

Wow .. congrats .. thanks so much for sharing. im getting sleeved this coming thursday and ur post has given me alot of reassurance and insight of whats coming ... all the best to u :)

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while now. I will be getting sleeved on 2/25/11 and I am nervous and excited but reading your post has given me a lot of encouragement and ideas on what to expect...Thank you!

Congrats on your success. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing!! You are an inspiration to me especially since I haven't been sleeved yet! Thank you