Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 after Plication

genepha
Sign in to follow this  

Well, I attempted to start a blog which turned out to be a bust so I'm gonna type something here real quick cause it hurts my tummy to sit down too long. I am still pretty tired and sore. Most of the gas pain has gone, I walked quite a bit after surgery in the hospital and once I got home. We had a 2 hour drive to get home so I was very sore once we arrived last night. I did take some pain medicine last night hoping it would help me sleep. I slept in short spurts of about 2 hours each. My kids were so excited that I was home that they stayed up past their bed time so that kinda' threw their schedule off. Our 2 y.o. daughter woke up at about 2 am and again at 4 am asking for me so I hobbled to her room - mainly so she could see me. Once she saw I was here, she settled back down. I was more comfortable sitting up on the couch with my feet up on the ottoman than I was in bed and slept like that for a bit also.

I'm sipping warm tea with unflavored Unjury Protein Powder in it. I had a few bites of jell-o and broth yesterday. I was nauseated from the anesthesia which is very common for me so I had a hard time eating anything. I actually got sick in the hospital because I had a dream about food and I woke up vomiting. :/

I had a leak test and everything looked great!

I started out at 281 and as of this morning I weighed 283!sad.gif ugh...I'm attributing the weight gain to all the IV fluids as my hands, feet and arms are pretty swollen still. Haven't thought about food AT ALL which is kind of a small miracle. It takes me about 1 hour to sip about 6 ounces of tea so I'm doing everything very cautiously and slowly.

Sorry if this is rambling but I'm still sore, tired and on a bit of pain medication.

So happy to be on the other side!

genepha

lapband replaced and plication performed 2-7-11

Dr. Helmuth Billy

Ventura, CA

So glad you're doing well! I'm sure the weight gain is just the fluids like you said. Do you mind my asking what your pre op diet was and for how long? I am doing this nine day Liquid Protein only thing and its killing me. I am having trouble understanding the point.

So glad you're doing well! I'm sure the weight gain is just the fluids like you said. Do you mind my asking what your pre op diet was and for how long? I am doing this nine day liquid Protein only thing and its killing me. I am having trouble understanding the point.

Olivia,

Thanks! I had to do a 2 day pre-op liquid diet and thought I was gonna go crazy!!!

I think sometimes the doctors just want to see if we have the willpower to make it thru

the pre-op diet.... Supposedly it is to shrink your liver as your liver can get in the way while

the dr. is performing the surgery and it can get nicked. This can be very bad and

dangerous so they want your liver smaller if possible to decrease the chances of it

getting cut during your procedure. I just kept thinking about how much weight I was gonna

lose pre-surgery doing the liquid diet - that kept me on track!! Of course, I lost like 5

lbs. doing the pre-op liquids and then gained it all back plus a few extra from the

stupid IV fluids...Grrr! Oh well, it'll come off eventually.

As of right now I have absolutely NO hunger at all! I'm sure a lot of it is due to swelling but

I am pretty amazed right now at how I feel. I'm rockin' a low grade fever so I have to keep

my eye on that and I'm sore from the gas so I'm trying to walk around the house a bit to

get things moving. So far my recovery has been pretty easy!

When is your surgery?

Olivia,

Thanks! I had to do a 2 day pre-op liquid diet and thought I was gonna go crazy!!!

I think sometimes the doctors just want to see if we have the willpower to make it thru

the pre-op diet.... Supposedly it is to shrink your liver as your liver can get in the way while

the dr. is performing the surgery and it can get nicked. This can be very bad and

dangerous so they want your liver smaller if possible to decrease the chances of it

getting cut during your procedure. I just kept thinking about how much weight I was gonna

lose pre-surgery doing the liquid diet - that kept me on track!! Of course, I lost like 5

lbs. doing the pre-op liquids and then gained it all back plus a few extra from the

stupid IV fluids...Grrr! Oh well, it'll come off eventually.

As of right now I have absolutely NO hunger at all! I'm sure a lot of it is due to swelling but

I am pretty amazed right now at how I feel. I'm rockin' a low grade fever so I have to keep

my eye on that and I'm sore from the gas so I'm trying to walk around the house a bit to

get things moving. So far my recovery has been pretty easy!

When is your surgery?

Only 2 days! You are so lucky! I don't know why they have me on a nine day. My BMI is only 31 so I can't imagine that I would have that fatty of a liver. Oh well, I will just keep plugging along. Bummer about your fever! I am so excited for you though! You're on your way. Our surgeries are so close together you will be my guidepost along the way missy!

Olivia,

Thanks. My fever seems to be getting better. I'm having a difficult time getting in fluids and Protein. I've been sipping the same cup of tea for about 5 hours! I mixed in Unjury unflavored protein so that should help. My stomach must be very swollen but I've been able to take the Pepcid and liquid pain meds. I'm supposed to be getting 40 grams of protein but I'm really only gettng about 10. I'm concentrating on drinking Water and walking as much as possible to help with the gas pains. Overall I feel pretty good but I'm definitely sore.

I hope each day gets better for you. Please keep posting. I'm following you and Olivia to see what your experience is like. I have my initial consult on 2/15. I am very excited!

Amy

I hope each day gets better for you. Please keep posting. I'm following you and Olivia to see what your experience is like. I have my initial consult on 2/15. I am very excited!

Amy

You'll be right behind us Amy!

Genepha!

Our thoughts are with you.. The first week was soooo hard on me - but you will feel better day by day.. Take care of yourself and I am rooting for you!

I am really glad to hear you are doing well ! sip sip sip!!! and keep walking, never stop! the weight seems to melt right off when you are walking everyday. I am down to 245 from 272 since before my pre-op diet. I also have a hard time getting in all the Protein. I can eat anything now, but only like 4 bites and I am full. Make your nutrition count!! I read some ppls comments and they are back at Micky D's eating McNuggets and glad they can only eat a couple, I say WTF is that about?! You will feel hungry, like hunger cramps, they come in about ten days to two weeks. I keep a Protein Bar or these one called KIND, they are really good, and a bite or two and I am good, but I do eat every 3 to four hours, just a bite or two, so it takes all day to finish a bar. GOOD FOR YOU!!! Peace.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

I am surprised at how good I feel. I had a hernia repair and my port replaced in Aug, 2010 and that was an extremely difficult recovery. I was expecting something similar to it. I am definitely sore and my incisions still hurt but I would say on a scale of 1(best)-10 (worst) with pain I'd say I'm about a 4. I did take some pain medicine today before I took a shower, just in case. I actually walked outside today just to my neighbor's house and back - and I was pretty tired after that! I'm sipping chicken broth mixed with Protein powder and drinking plain Water. I understand what people say now when they get tired of all the sweet things - jell-o, crystal light, protein powder are all very sweet. My dr. doesn't want me to have Protein Shakes yet so I'm pretty much on Clear Liquids still.

I really appreciate the feedback and support from those of you that have already had plication as this helps me plan for the next few weeks! I'm very impressed with some of the results I've seen and I hope to lose 20% EWL in month 1 - that's about 27 pounds.

Please keep the info. coming!! :)

genepha