Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

120 lbs and plication?

After much reading. I decided I wanted plication instead of the band. Now I am worried I am too fat for plication. I have 120 to lose (I would be thrilled with 100) I read that this procedure is usually done for those with smaller BMI's. Now I am worried I will not be able to get this surgery. Any thoughts?

I am getting something done Mid march. band, plication or sleeve. I just need to know what is best for me. I am scared of the band because of all the horror stories I have read. Please share opinions!

I honestly would have the sleeve. You don't lose the ghrelin with the plication and I believe that is a big part of why I am so successful with the sleeve. I had the band and that was a horrible experience. The sleeve has been just amazing! I was terrified about having 85% of my stomach cut out, but now I think it is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. I am losing weight, I have control over food, and I feel so good. Of course, keep researching and do what is best for you. The sleeve is such a great thing! You will have us to support you whatever you decide!

After much reading. I decided I wanted plication instead of the band. Now I am worried I am too fat for plication. I have 120 to lose (I would be thrilled with 100) I read that this procedure is usually done for those with smaller BMI's. Now I am worried I will not be able to get this surgery. Any thoughts?

I am getting something done Mid march. band, plication or sleeve. I just need to know what is best for me. I am scared of the band because of all the horror stories I have read. Please share opinions!

i have had the plication done and have very much the same amount to loose.\i am very happy with it.

Got sleeved here. There is just a small small difference between the sleeve and plication. the difference is leaving the stomach in..Well when you heal your scars make your new stomach it will never leak once your out the 2 or 3 week period when leaks usuallly occur.. I am a firm believer if you do what your doctors says the chance of leaks are little to none. I would chose the sleeve if I was offered the band or the sleeve. Like I said it is just my opinion.

It depends on the doctor if the amount you have to lose makes a difference on qualifying for the plication or not. I have about 160 lbs to lose and was told that would not interfere with my getting the plication.

From what I've been reading it appears that a couple of the surgeons are recommending the sleeve over plication for higher BMI patients.

I had the band, and it sucks royally. You can search my blog, and previous posts where I've shared my story. Plus, my blog has actual statistical, scientific information.

There's a few plication patients on obesityhelp.com already looking at revisions because they're not losing weight, and have had complications. They appear to be 5-6 months out, and are losing extremely slowly, and can eat way more than I can with a sleeve stomach. One particular poster stated she gets hungry, true physical hunger about 1-2 hours post-op, it seems the food passes through, and once again she's hungry. Essentially, they feel like they're having to hardcore diet to lose weight, and the pounds aren't budging.

I've read one complication story here (Zanthia's post of unexpected complications after her plication), and a couple of others on OH that were months ago and those patients are no longer posting nor responding to my attempts to contact them so they can update us on how they are doing, and what course of action they took after their complications.

It is a personal decision, and no one can decide for you. I always recommend to do your own independent research, read as much as possible. I have tons of links in my blog on here that may help you. If you have specific questions about the sleeve, ask us. If you have concerns, share them and let us help you. I personally had zero issue losing the majority of my stomach because I had done tons of research on gastrectomies for stomach ulcer and cancer patients. This whole pleating the stomach scares me way more only because I know firsthand the damage that can be done just from the band (they stitch stomach tissue over the band to help hold it in place).

Keep reading, really decide what is best for you, your lifestyle, your wants/needs 5-10 years from now. Think twice, CUT ONCE. I learned the hard way, had the band first because the sleeve was not an option, it was RNY or the band. I chose the lesser of 2 evils in my mind, and it cost me additional stomach tissue, a whole slew of complications including a leak 2 days post-op after my revision, and tons of scar tissue and adhesions. I do not for one minute regret my band. It taught me a lot about myself, my food choices, but it caused me daily pain, puking, sliming and pure misery in 8 short months. I do love the sleeve, the effortless eating, the fact that I can eat like a normal, naturally thin girl, and still enjoy all foods.

Best wishes in your research ! ! !

From what I've been reading it appears that a couple of the surgeons are recommending the sleeve over plication for higher BMI patients.

I had the band, and it sucks royally. You can search my blog, and previous posts where I've shared my story. Plus, my blog has actual statistical, scientific information.

There's a few plication patients on obesityhelp.com already looking at revisions because they're not losing weight, and have had complications. They appear to be 5-6 months out, and are losing extremely slowly, and can eat way more than I can with a sleeve stomach. One particular poster stated she gets hungry, true physical hunger about 1-2 hours post-op, it seems the food passes through, and once again she's hungry. Essentially, they feel like they're having to hardcore diet to lose weight, and the pounds aren't budging.

I've read one complication story here (Zanthia's post of unexpected complications after her plication), and a couple of others on OH that were months ago and those patients are no longer posting nor responding to my attempts to contact them so they can update us on how they are doing, and what course of action they took after their complications.

It is a personal decision, and no one can decide for you. I always recommend to do your own independent research, read as much as possible. I have tons of links in my blog on here that may help you. If you have specific questions about the sleeve, ask us. If you have concerns, share them and let us help you. I personally had zero issue losing the majority of my stomach because I had done tons of research on gastrectomies for stomach ulcer and cancer patients. This whole pleating the stomach scares me way more only because I know firsthand the damage that can be done just from the band (they stitch stomach tissue over the band to help hold it in place).

Keep reading, really decide what is best for you, your lifestyle, your wants/needs 5-10 years from now. Think twice, CUT ONCE. I learned the hard way, had the band first because the sleeve was not an option, it was RNY or the band. I chose the lesser of 2 evils in my mind, and it cost me additional stomach tissue, a whole slew of complications including a leak 2 days post-op after my revision, and tons of scar tissue and adhesions. I do not for one minute regret my band. It taught me a lot about myself, my food choices, but it caused me daily pain, puking, sliming and pure misery in 8 short months. I do love the sleeve, the effortless eating, the fact that I can eat like a normal, naturally thin girl, and still enjoy all foods.

Best wishes in your research ! ! !

Good input. Thanks! Sometimes it does seem so hard to make a decision about which one to do, as they ALL seem to have pros and cons. I will check the OH website to read about those that are having trouble with the Plication.

Keep reading it seems to me that plication is a gimic. I've not read anyone who has had it and met goal. It seems more are disapointed with the results than happy.

Keep reading it seems to me that plication is a gimic. I've not read anyone who has had it and met goal. It seems more are disapointed with the results than happy.

Really???? Plication is a gimic? I've been telling my brother to research it. He probably has 100 lbs to lose. I thought it is better b/c your stomach stays in. I'd like to know more about how it is a gimic. I haven't read anyone unhappy. I'm not being sarcastic, I don't want to spoint bro in the wrong direction. That was my one problem with sleeve is that what if I need my stomach later for some reason and it is gone? I thought the fact that it is reversible is good. I'm very confused now.

It is not a gimic. People are just scared of new things. I've talked to Dr. Ortiz himself, and Dr. Watkins staff today. They are seeing very good results in their plication patients. I was also told that I am fine to have the plication even with my higher BMI and over 100 pounds to lose. I am feeling goos about plication now. I just can't decide what doctor to use.

The reason why I say it's a gimic is because you can still have leaks with the plication and you cannot reverse it. So why would someone choose plication over VSG? If you just search plication you can find stories from people who have had it and I've read a few on here (of course no surgery will be a success for everyone) where they have lost less than 20lbs after a few months. I researched the plication, I thought it would be safer and a better way to go but the more I researched it the more it just seemed like it was a way to do surgery on people who were scared of vsg.

The reason why I say it's a gimic is because you can still have leaks with the plication and you cannot reverse it. So why would someone choose plication over VSG? If you just search plication you can find stories from people who have had it and I've read a few on here (of course no surgery will be a success for everyone) where they have lost less than 20lbs after a few months. I researched the plication, I thought it would be safer and a better way to go but the more I researched it the more it just seemed like it was a way to do surgery on people who were scared of vsg.

Leaks with a plication are very rare and are much less likely with plication. Also, pliction is reversible ,at least that what my surgeon says (Dr. Ortiz). I asked him also which would he choose and he said like many others have said, you have to do the research. Bottom line, it is probably quite difficult to be objective after you have hadthe sleeve and seen success. I have no doubt that VSG is successful, but I believe the plication can and will be just as successfull without the heavy cutting.

I have to say that, in general, since I have joined this forum, that MOSt people have been very supportive, regardless of what type of surgery someone has or is planning on having, or what their experience has been, etc. But sometimes the responses have just been negative and unnecessary! ALL of the surgeries have their drawbacks and risks AND positives. Why can't we just support eachother in whatever decision we decide??? Geez, people! We are all in the same boat! Don't you think I doubt my decision EVERY single day? Didn't YOU do that? If I change my mind against the Plication and chose the VSG or the Bypass or the Band, there will always be someone else piping in on their opinion. Don't make this decision more difficult for people! I am chosing the Plication because I don't want my stomach thrown in the trash, I don't want the malabsorption and deficiencies possible with the bypass and I don't want the erosions and slippage and constant maintenance of the band. Deal with it! I checked out some of the negative responses on Obesity Help regarding the Plication. One of the comments was that "only the bottom feeder surgeons perform it" Really? From my research, some of the BEST surgeons are choosing to do this and TEACHING others across the country to do it, as well. Let's just all be supportive, 'kay?

Sorry for the rant...I do feel better, though, after that! :) It's just hard when other people deliberately try to cast doubt about the decisions we have already made. The information from others is what we're here, seeking, and it is appreciated, but we just all need to be careful how we present things, I guess. Good luck to us all!

I have to say that, in general, since I have joined this forum, that MOSt people have been very supportive, regardless of what type of surgery someone has or is planning on having, or what their experience has been, etc. But sometimes the responses have just been negative and unnecessary! ALL of the surgeries have their drawbacks and risks AND positives. Why can't we just support eachother in whatever decision we decide??? Geez, people! We are all in the same boat! Don't you think I doubt my decision EVERY single day? Didn't YOU do that? If I change my mind against the Plication and chose the VSG or the Bypass or the Band, there will always be someone else piping in on their opinion. Don't make this decision more difficult for people! I am chosing the Plication because I don't want my stomach thrown in the trash, I don't want the malabsorption and deficiencies possible with the bypass and I don't want the erosions and slippage and constant maintenance of the band. Deal with it! I checked out some of the negative responses on Obesity Help regarding the Plication. One of the comments was that "only the bottom feeder surgeons perform it" Really? From my research, some of the BEST surgeons are choosing to do this and TEACHING others across the country to do it, as well. Let's just all be supportive, 'kay?

I think everyone is being supportive. Sharing an unpopular opinion isn't a form of non-support. I personally have endured what happens to stomach tissue after it's sewn over, and with the few complications that I've read out, and the people seeking revisions, I think it's only fair to point out all the good and the bad.

I could say that your statement regarding " I don't want my stomach in the trash" could be perceived as very insensitive and condescending, but it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I'm extremely supportive of everyone regardless of their choice, but if asked, I'm going to be honest, and advise them to do more research. I personally do not think anyone should ever go into WLS thinking it's reversible. This is for life regardless if I chose the band or sleeve. Would I have chosen plication if it was available at the time? No, especially after reading the research stats, and other posts from over a year ago when it first started getting advertised.

The sleeve is the 1st step of the DS procedure which has been performed for over 20 years. Gastrectomies have been performed for decades upon decades for cancer and ulcer patients. The research is out there, we just have to be willing to dig deep for it.