Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much exercise are you getting? I work out at the gym 3 times per week and do about 30 minutes of treadmill or eliptical machine and then 15 minutes of weights. I felt pretty good about this, until my doctor told me I should be exercising for 5 hours per week. I was in shock! I thought I was doing enough but I guess I'm not.

Then on Oprah today she talked about her weight loss, and how her "rule" is vigorous exercise 8 times per week. What the F? How do people do that?

What do you do?

I do one of those 30 minute places five times per week. Then, I either ride a bike or walk for an hour 3 times per week. I'm not sure how to fit any more in to my schedule.

I think if you want to be a 2lb per week loser month in month out then that type of exercise schedule is a must. You almost have to make a full time job out of it.

For us mere mortals, thankfully its not necessary to do that much to get the health benefits of exercise, but the more you do the better from a weight loss perspective.

personally, I run five times a week - 5kms per session, takes me 40 minutes or so, I mix it up, sometimes slow and steady, othertimes interval type runs.

I know I should be doing weights/toning as well but I just dont have the flipping time. And I had to buy a treadmill for home to get the runs in, the gym just wasnt happening consistently enough.

I go to the gym 3 times per week (treadmill, elliptical, alternate with weights) and on the other days I try to do some walking (30 or 40 min. walks). I guess this is great for someone who didn't do almost no exercise at all one year ago... :clap2:

I try not to get too obsessed about it...

niki

Monica,

Why not try a compromise? Add a fourth 45 minute session to your week. If and when you're not meeting your weightloss goals in the time you wished to meet them, then you can decide if it's worth it to add more. Until then, 45 min X 4 is reasonable and you can still live life.

Good luck!

Monica,

Why not try a compromise? Add a fourth 45 minute session to your week. If and when you're not meeting your weightloss goals in the time you wished to meet them, then you can decide if it's worth it to add more. Until then, 45 min X 4 is reasonable and you can still live life.

Good luck!

Thanks, Julie! Good idea. That's the real thing about weight loss--you have to find a way to live your life as well. Some of you are giving me good ideas about how to eat moderately as well as exercise moderately. Moderation is not my strong point!!! I appreciate the advice.